Poll: What features would you like on your next PPC phone?

+ Reply to Thread
    boe

Exclamation Poll - What would you like on your next Smartphone?

I've had the 6601 since it was available to me in November. I've had my share of issues with it but there isn't a better option for me right now.

I don't expect agreement on all of these so I've made it a poll

These are some things I'd like on my next phone:

1 Another manufacturer's mark -the HTC/Audiovox is flimsy and easily damaged.

2 A phone that doesn't echo - I've had MANY people complain that they here there own voice no matter which headset I use or don't use or what volume things are set at. I don't hear any real echo but my callers sure seem to.

3 A higher res screen so the unit could display more with a slightly smaller size.

4 Make two distinctly different models I'd like one without any camera or keyboard since I use it mostly for data retrieval and can type fine on the screen - basically anything that would make it smaller and thinner. Don't just sell the same unit with and without that are the same size - hmmm - I wonder if I'm hauling around empty space for a reason? Find out if there is actually a market for SMALLER pda phones. There are many people who say they want the camera - fine but lets see how many units of each sell if they make the one without the camera smaller since it won't have the wasted space.

5 A louder ringer - I'm not sure how many times this has to be posted about any phone before they listen and yes I've added louder ringers.

6 Windows 2005 - hopefully activesync 4 won't hang outlook and will only sync with the correct profile

7 A case that doesn't make so many of us immediately need to buy a new case.

8. A car charger - hmm - I couldn't imagine ever using my phone outside of the home or office - duh - why not just include it!?! I've had cell phones in the past that did include them - I didn't feel like they were putting as much effort into screwing me. I'm concerned they will try and start selling phones without wall chargers either.

9 An earphone jack on the side that is easier to get to.

10 A bluetooth module that actually works with bluetooth headsets. One that can be used to voice dial would be great - part of that is the OS but other manufacturers made modifications so their BT headsets could initial calls with 2003.

11 A side button for voice dialing that doesn't mean disabling other functions for that side button.

12 Include Voice Dial. I don't care if it isn't part of 2003. If I pay $500+ for a phone I would expect it to have at LEAST the same features as the phones they give for free. Since the free phones can dial 30+ contacts that $500 phone sure better be able to do it as well when I take it out of the box! Stop nickel and diming us!
    Last edited by boe; 05-08-2005 at 02:22 AM.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

boe
    Sorry about the bogus poll - I didn't know you could only select one item with the way I set it up and I can't figure out how to correct it or delete this poll so I can start again.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

Poll Danced
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Check out the Samsung i730 (coming soon to Verizon). I think it hits everything on your list but #3 and #4 (although I would argue it does address #3... having the same 240x320 resolution as the 6600 but in physically smaller screen).

As for #4, you should check out the Imate JAM (HTC Magician). I know it's an HTC device (it's also GSM only... don't know if that's a problem for you) but it does omit the keyboard (although it does have a camera). It's also better-built than the 6600 (lack of keyboard is a big reason for that) and uses the MS Bluetooth stack so should be more stable.

Fact of the matter is that people want keyboards and cameras in their PDA phones (most people, anyway) so I think you'll find it increasingly difficult to find models built without those features. In the case of the i730, you'll be able to get a version without the camera, but it's not any smaller.

Dan

boe
    luv2chill, thanks for your helpful response.

I'm not sure people really want cameras. I think the issue is you can get one of the same size with and without the camera usually for the same money. If they were to start to subtract the camera size and cost I think more people would opt for units without the camera. The carriers really want you to get the camera though since they make money if you actually transmit a picture. Of course I could be completely wrong on this since I can't figure out how post a poll that would ask the question properly.

The 730 is made by Samsung so I'd be happier with that than the HTC/Audiovox POS I have now but why the heck did they make the clunkly external antenna? I feel geeky enough so I put my phone in my pocket so I don't look like I want to be Batman. There are rumors it will support Magneto but we won't know until it actually happens. I think they could have made it smaller if they removed the keyboard slider and the camera. How many people really want the camera after the novelty has died off? I can't use it in the gym, government facilities, or NDA clients!

If Samsung or LG made something like the JAM for Magneto without the clunky antenna I would be stoked. After buying the 6601, I don't think I could ever buy an HTC/Audiovox again.
    Last edited by boe; 05-08-2005 at 05:26 PM.

Well you can use your phone in those places if you simply buy the non-camera version. I know you want the cost and size to be cheaper, but this seems like a workable solution so you can use it in those places.

I would also prefer an internal antenna, but I don't see how that makes it any less geeky. Most cell phones have an external antenna (though I realize there is a trend toward internal designs), including the very popular Treo line. Plus, the i730 should look less geeky since it's not so PDA-like. I have no problem walking around holding a Treo 650 up to my face, but the 6600 is just too PDA-like... I do it anyway, but the Treo form factor is the goal, as soon as possible.

Part of the problem with the 6600 camera is that it's such a POS. The i730 camera will at least be a megapixel of resolution (no idea on the actual imaging chip though) so the pics would at least be useful in cases where you don't have your camera but need to take a picture of something. The novelty on my 6600 camera wore off a long time ago, but I found myself actually using it the other day to take a picture of a chair I wanted to show my boss. So, I stand on the side of a camera being a "can't hurt" sort of thing. I don't pay a dime for picture messaging (I just attach the pics to an e-mail).

And as long as the device gets released and adopted then you can bet your bottom dollar on a WM2005 upgrade. The device itself was designed with Magneto in mind (the soft keys under the screen and the flip-flopped RAM/ROM sizes). If the OS itself was ready I'm sure they'd consider making a bigger splash and releasing the i730 with it pre-installed.

Dan

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Magneto is slated for release with 60 days.

E

Yeah but that's RTM... all of them will take their own sweet time to test it.

Dan

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    All we need is one BA release

E