Poll: Which would you opt for?

+ Reply to Thread
    boe

Would you like a detachable camera?

It is too late for the 6600 and the universal - but perhaps on the next HTC or Samsung model.

This is the question current users have - phone or not without any major benefit for not getting the camera -
    Let me see - the camera and non camera usually cost the same and are usually the exact same size - most will go for the phone even if they never use it for the next year or two. So those who don't want the camera are basically getting the phone we want with the size we don't want and paying for a vault we can't use.

If removing the camera made the unit smaller - I'm sure that would change many of our decisions on this question. If we like having a camera we can attach it. If we don't need it or can't bring it into the building - night club, gym, government facility, high tech business - now we get to keep our phone without leaving it at the front desk.

And if the detachable phone was sold as an accessory like a car charger - how many of us would still get the camera? I know I'd get the car charger every time and a travel charger- perhaps even a spare battery - not sure about the camera though.

Perhaps if there were enough responses on this we might get a manufacturer to start thinking about this.
    Last edited by boe; 05-23-2005 at 10:19 AM.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

I don't care! I seldom use the camera on my phone, but I always have at least one digital camera with me - and since both my cameras and my phone use SD cards, it's really simple to just move the card and email a picture or assign it to a contact, etc. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Manufactures will make a phone with one foot print. It will be made to include the camera or not. But the size for both will be the same. It is not cost effective to make different size phone one with a camera, one without. If they did that then they would give it a different model number. It’s all about low cost of manufacturing and reusability.

Just my thoughts....I am probably totally wrong.

boe
    Originally posted by Mark_A_K
    Manufactures will make a phone with one foot print. It will be made to include the camera or not. But the size for both will be the same. It is not cost effective to make different size phone one with a camera, one without. If they did that then they would give it a different model number. It’s all about low cost of manufacturing and reusability.

Just my thoughts....I am probably totally wrong.
    You are not necessarily wrong but if we could convince them to make the camera detachable - you wouldn't have to fill your pocket with an unnecessary device. They don't include all possible accesories for your phone to get costs down and to increase their profit. This is an accessory I would be happy to leave on shelf. Manufacturing cost would be constant since they only need to make one phone - the camera is a seperat but attachable item - just like memory, HD, etc.

The question is where does it stop - they can include a camera but do they need to? How about a flashlight, lighter, bottle opener, hand scanner, electronic tire pressure guage, it could double as a portable bt mouse for your laptop. While these things might be handy for some people, not everyone wants them and they increase the size and cost for those who do not.

I'm sure there are those who say I never fly so I want a swiss army knife included because that would come in handy. Making things detachable makes it clear that while it might be handy for some use, there is no need to have it all times and I can remove items I don't use on airplanes, at they gym, at a government facility, at a high tech firm so it won't get confiscated and I can still use my phone. If you are one of those people who never has had to worry about getting their camera phone confiscated and don't care how big it is - that is great for you - you can get a phone with an attachable camera and NEVER remove it. For the rest of us who occasionally or always are in sensitive areas or want a smaller phone - this would solve some concerns for us.
    Last edited by boe; 05-16-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

boe
    Is this idea just no feasable or is there some other reason more people wouldn't want this option?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    > It is too late for the 6600...

Then perhaps it belongs in a more generic PPC users forum?

Ehud