Poll: Who will move from i730 to Treo 700 once it is available?

+ Reply to Thread
    dtm

Who will move to the Treo 700?

So, who among you that is already using the i730 will switch to the new Windows Mobile 5.0 Treo first of next year (assuming on-time ship...I know, fat chance)?

Will you...
    1.Commit today to switch immediately upon availability
    2. Wait to see if more features are announced
    3. Happy with my i730, no plan to switch

Personally, I'll be jumping immediately. While I love my i730, it's proven to be bulkier than I hoped, and the slider keyboard is more annoying than I thought. I don't mind only getting wifi through an SD card, so I'll be making the jump, and getting a built-in camera to boot!

Not I, said the fly!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Am I Converged???
    I know one thing, Samsung now have about a 1/2 year to think about what they want to do with our device...

Upgrade it to WM5 and have the "hygh tek/hygh pryce" phone on the market or stay static and loose market share to a device that is all too fimilar to business dunces (oops, excuse me) customers.

://hygh

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    I'm not switching -- no matter what equus does.
    The only constant is change.

i will not switch. love my phone.

Form factor of the Treo looks a little bit better and it's running Mobile 5.0 and is on Verizon's EVDO network but those are the only good things I can say about it.

The square screen is not good for the web browsing and video streaming I want to do. The keyboard is cramped just like any other vertical keyboard design. There's not even any wi-fi.

Right now it seems like the HTC Universal is the only device that has everything I want, with the exception of being on Verizon's EVDO network. I would choose the PPC 6700 over the Treo 700 as well.

The only 2 gripes I have about the PPC 6700 is that it's a Sprint phone and that it's using mini-SD.

After 2 years with my trusty i700 I just switched to the i730. I will keep the i730 for at least two years. Too cool and too expensive to switch every six months. I am confident Verizon will get us the WM5 upgrade shortly after WM5SE or WM6 is released! I don't want to miss the next 18 months of tortureous forum posts about rumored upgrade dates.

I am getting great results with the bluetooth, wifi, landscape, and all the other neat features. Best of all, SuperDave (the legendary i700 superhacker and undoer of verizon neutering) is in his laboratory right now making this the phone of choice.
    Last edited by Scott Garris; 09-26-2005 at 10:00 PM.

I am one who will switch on a whim....But I am very hapy with Samsung and the I730 and I have no plans to switch. Heck I just started to have fun :')
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I have to try everything. It's a sickness, but I must. I won't dump I730 unless "dazzled", but seriously, why not at least give it a test drive?
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

Treo 700 is scheduled release for March of 2006.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

haven't heard great things about WM5 performance

I think I stick to the I730 (can't spend $$'s every 6 months on a phone!) at the same time, I've seen some reports of WM5 not being as fast as 03SE in some circumstances with the new phones in Europe... so I wonder how well it will perform in real life...

Pw-man

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Originally posted by hyghpocalypse
    I know one thing, Samsung now have about a 1/2 year to think about what they want to do with our device...

Upgrade it to WM5 and have the "hygh tek/hygh pryce" phone on the market or stay static and loose market share to a device that is all too fimilar to business dunces (oops, excuse me) customers.

://hygh
    Unfortunitly it has nothing to do with Samsung.

It is up to Verizon.

Yes, I agree with cool8man about the square screen thing. Too many potential incompatibilities with software and square screens. It's the same reason I didn't consider those HP 6500 devices. The Treo hardware is sweet, but hte square screen is not

Looks like it's going to be up to me then. I'll be ya' huckaberry.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Is the Treo 700w built for the WM5 OS?

Will the Treo 700w lose some of the one handed funcitonality it has now when using the WM5 OS?

I'll have to wait until I get my hands on the Treo. The screen is definitely a put-off. As much as I like my i730, I don't like the loose feeling of the keyboard slide mechanism. It always feels like I have to hold it closed when I have it in my hand. Treos feel like you can't hurt them. But that Treo screen...
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

Originally posted by Mark_A_K
    Is the Treo 700w built for the WM5 OS?

Will the Treo 700w lose some of the one handed funcitonality it has now when using the WM5 OS?
    Personally, I think we are in for some surprises with the WM5 OS on this phone. I never really cared for the Palm platform, but, IMO, they did a great job intergrating the phone software with the Palm OS. My voice experiance on the Treo was far better than the I730, which I believe is terrible. The Palm was always a better balance of phone and pda, however, this is due to the fact that the Palm OS is very simple compared to the PPC platform. I would say that the PPC's sucky phone intergration is par for the course since it's a PDA first and phone second, but it's still frustrating when you can't just hammer out a quick call when you need to becasue a data session isn't dormant, or your fat fingers don't work the screen or keyboard numeric pad accurately, or your Voice Command or Voice Signal acts as if you are speaking in Igpa Atinla and calls your bosses home number at 3am in the morning when you are actually trying to call your voice mail.

My hopes is that they've altered the WM5 for better intergration with the voice side and maybe, just maybe, found a better balance between the strong PPC platform and the voice side. Let's face it. Palm did very well with that on the Treo and even the Kyo 7135. Like the rest of you though, I am concerned with the screen layout. However, since my devices are for business use first, I'd trade off for stability and usability of both the OS and voice.

Update: Scottb, ditto on your comments. The Treos always felt more solid and I liked having the keyboard right there like the blackberry.
    Last edited by EvilHomer; 09-27-2005 at 09:25 AM.

I like the slider and larger screen, myself, but que sera, sera...

What I really want is a VGA screen. When are we going to see that?

I'm disappointed with what I am reading from the 6700 forum about WME2005. Same ol problems---not enough phone features.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Not one VGA phone edition device, that sux. I assume this hasn't hit off because of battery concerns ?
    i760 VZW

I watched the launch video and the product guy demoed the Treo 700w all without using the stylus. It looked pretty good in that regard but I am going to stick with my 730. I am making it better everyday! I do think we will see a WM 5.0 upgrade for the 730 close to the launch of the WM 5.0 Treo since Verizon will be testing the OS...