Poll: What are you doing with your PPC-6700?

+ Reply to Thread

Are we keeping it or returning it?

Well, I got the 6700 a couple days ago and like everyone else, thought this was going to be my end all device. I currently use an Audiovox SMT 5600 SmartPhone and a Dell X30 Pocket PC.

I love the look of the device. Sure, a little deep for my tastes, but over all, very nice.

Setup went smooth. But, the reception on the phone is terrible. Where I used to get a bar (in my house), this phone immediate goes to 'R'oaming.

No big deal, I thought. I installed some of my Pocket PC apps. Very mixed results. Some worked. Some did not. But, whether or not they worked, opening, closing, and using the applications has been much slower than I was hoping for. Yes, it only has a 412Mhz processor, but on the other hand, hey, it has a 412Mhz processor.

The keyboard is very nice. Speakerphone, as mentioned 103 times, leaves a little to be desired. Screen is nice. WMP10 is nice.

Honestly, I am torn. I love the 'idea', but not the actual device. I still have 12 days left to put it through its paces, and I plan to, but I am curious what the concensus is... Are we keeping it, returning it, or eBaying it?

Thanks.

who's we?

We, as in the group of people that bought PPC-6700s.

So far, the majority of people would not give up their new device. I would be curious to know how many of those are previous Smartphone users, and of those, how many are coming from a Treo, Pocket PC Phone 2003, Smartphone, etc.

As I said, I am torn. I have tried, at one point, almost every smart phone device out there. I was just curious to see what others have done since their purchase.

I had a 650 for a year prior to getting my 6700 and I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Multitasking, WiFi, PIE (I like it much better than blazer and Xinno), a real OS and smooth interface are all things i love about WM5.

The battery life could be better but I can definately live with it as its acceptable.

The speaker phone could be better but I'm sure people will figure out how to tweak it soon enough. Its adequate though.

Otherwise I love the phone. I notice NO slowdowns ever since I intsalled a program to keep my memory clear. This is something that should be an option in WM5 but again a minor gripe.

Overall I'm really happy with the device and I won't go back to my 650 for sure. I'll stick with my 6700 until next year when something newer and better comes out.

Given that I've just come from an LG PM325 and a Toshiba e740, the 6700 is worlds better.

As for apps, I would expect a bit of a delay in getting most of my standard apps up to speed on WM5.

I'm so far very pleased with the performance of my 6700. My precious!

I'm moving up from the Treo 600 and I'm not looking back. I resisted the 650 because it didn't seem to have more features that I needed. I get lousy reception at home on all Sprint phones, so this one doesn't seem that different. There's a setting that you can change that will prevent it from roaming.

I think that many more PPC and Windows Mobile apps will work in the future. This phone is still not released to the consumer public - we're essentially beta testers.

I came from the 650 and to be honest I really miss it, but I don't think I am going to go back. I will be giving the 6700 a fair shot and chance. I think there is room for improvement.

I've had everything from a Motorola Brick to a 6600 and I really can't see how this phone could get any better. Simply put, its everything I need in a nice package. I can only imagine what's next!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

The 6700 isn't the perfect device but its a very nice device that meets my major needs, at least for now. My wife has a Sanyo 8300 and something else I don't remember offhand. The reception and rf from the 6700 is every bit as good as anything else we've used, no issue at all there.

R

We are keeping it

Dan

I am keeping mine, but that was after some serious return considerations. In the end, I decided to stick it out because I believe this phone is still going to be one of the top WM5 devices on the market after all the other vendors release their products.

Plus, quite honestly, it is new, and new things, no matter how well tested, have problems. (Can I use that many commas in a sentence?) So, by purchasing this device before its full consumer release, I owe it some time to get some of the reported problems worked out.

What I Like About The Phone:

1. Its smaller than you would ever imagine.
    2. I actually have a next gen Windows mobile PDA that I can carry with me. Something I couldn't force myself to do with my HP 4705.
    3. The speakerphone is the first of any phone that I have owned where I could actually have a conversation and not instantly get asked to get off speaker. My wife is very picky about it and she never knew I was on speaker phone. I also found that the volume is decent in quiet environments (office, car)
    4. I don't seem to have EVDO, but my 1X speeds consistently measure at 130kbps on the 600k speed test.
    5. Reception, although not indicated by bars, is solid in my area. ( have since found that this phone actually does a much better job of truly identifying reception using bars, as my old phone, a Sanyo SCP-5500 would show full signal everywhere until I did a field test on it and found that a full signal was actually -96dB, which for 6700 power metering, is quite low. So even though it shows a weaker signal than my older phone, it really is not, and I have had no quality issues.
    6. Microsoft Voice Command (Yes it costs money), makes one handed dialing a breeze and convenient.

Things That I Don't Like:

1. The sliding keyboard is cool, but it needs to have a more secure locking mechanism. Any time I go to make a phone call, I constantly push the keyboard loose which makes it very hard to keep a firm grip. (I have since taped the keyboard shut with clear packing tape and am not using it. I use this as a phone more often than a PDA and the times that I need to enter data on the road, the software keyboard works fine)
    2. The smooth finish makes it extremely easy to lose a grip and drop the phone, although I haven't done it yet, I did have one heart stopping juggling act. (This has been rectified with the e-grips solution)
    3. Battery life is on the very low end of average. (I did go 3 days with out a charge, and pocket weather logged on to vision every hour to get weather updates, I made some phone calls, text messages, and checked email, got it on the charger at 10% left.)
    4. I can't seem to re-program the volume slider for anything else, like scrolling in web pages, and its position during a phone call is constantly changing my listening volume.
    5. Taking a flash picture triggers a spot light that constantly stays on, even after the picture is taken. Plus, the delay in the camera leads to more blurry shots than clear ones, rectified but knowing when the picture is actually taken and planning for it.

Ok, so I got a little long winded. All in all, i'm keeping mine!
    Can't wait to see the accessories that get released for it.

Just got Exchange ActiveSync working. What a cool thing compared to all the third party stuff required on past devices I've had. Hell yes, I'm keeping it!

Unit is stock--no bugs... no problems (yet).

Todd/Indy

Did anyone notice what happens when you typeover 160 characters in a text message? I thought that was really cool that it seperates the text messages.

Phonefunatic
    Originally posted by Jbroad572
    Did anyone notice what happens when you typeover 160 characters in a text message? I thought that was really cool that it seperates the text messages.
    Cooollll... I hadn't noticed that. Another thing to love about it. I'm keeping mine too.

I need more time to decide, although I'm fairly heavily vested in it so far having ordered a 1 gig mini sd chip, a travel charger with cord, and some screen protectors so far.

My phone number doesn't port over until the 17th, so I can't really do much with the phone so far other than sync it and use the wifi to get on the internet. I will say that I really expected the wifi internet to run much faster than it did and I had trouble getting to yahoo mail. It kept telling me that I needed to upgrade my PIE above version 4.0. Anyone else seen this?

My last phone was a short lived pm-225. In comparision this phone is awesome. I am going to keep this phone. This phone has a personality on it own. There are some adjustments but the phone is awesome. My son was playing football last night and his team was blowing out another. I pulled out my 6700 browsed the web and returned emails untill the game was over. Many people were like what kind of phone is that.

Originally posted by gadgets
    I'm moving up from the Treo 600 and I'm not looking back. I resisted the 650 because it didn't seem to have more features that I needed. I get lousy reception at home on all Sprint phones, so this one doesn't seem that different. There's a setting that you can change that will prevent it from roaming.

I think that many more PPC and Windows Mobile apps will work in the future. This phone is still not released to the consumer public - we're essentially beta testers.
    Same here. Upgraded from a Treo 600. This thing is leaps and bounds more useful than my Treo. The Calendar in the treo was mega sucky. I find myself using this one much more.

The only things I miss from the Treo:

Threaded SMS
    Vindigo (those bastahds at vindigo don't support WM5 yet, and "don't plan to in the near future". WTF?)
    Alarm and notification reminders.

This device has definitely kept me more in touch with email and my friends... and the perfect sync with outlook is a godsend. (on the Treo, it would always have sync issues with new contacts, no matter what settings I had it on)

Count me in... just need to get some eGrips...