Poll: Should I replace my phone or not?

+ Reply to Thread

Oh dear ... another dilemma

So, I managed to dunk my i500 into a pool (heavily chlorinated) over the past weekend. To all intents and appearances the phone was DOA. Tried drying it out, pulled the battery, put it back in a couple of days later and the phone was still dead.

I was on vacation and out of the country, so I called lockline and scheduled a replacement. They told me the phone could be replaced, and that I would be dropped (this is my second replacement in as many months) - and could re-apply in 12 months.

Tonight I got back home from my vacation, and was playing around (figure I couldn't hurt the phone anymore than it was already hurt). First I tried the charger (blinkenlights, but nothing really happening). Next, I put in my spare slim battery. FSOD. Hmmm. I try a hard-reset. Takes me through the intro screens, then dies on phone initialization. Pull the battery out, and try another hard reset. Like Frankenstein, with a flash of white light, the phone revives. I check my voicemail - the speaker seems tinny, as if damaged. All the key presses sound funny, as if distorted. However, it's passable.

So now the big question. What should I do? Do I keep the phone, and try and cancel the lockline replacement, in the hopes that they will reinstate my insurance? Or do I wait for the lockline, then replace the phone?
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

And one more thing. The only permanently damaged item, is the extended battery that came with the phone - it's definitely dead. I tried dropping it into the i500 cradle, and it comes up blanks.
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

International Man of Mystery Bwana's Avatar

Talking

Get the lockline phone and treat it well for a year. If something happens you can get a new i500 on ebay for less than 150$.

That's not much more than 12x5+50 deductable.

The exact reason I told my family to quit dunking phones in soda cups and canceled all my insurances.

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I would keep and use the Lockline replacement and hold your now functional i500 as a backup incase you do it again. You can probably hold out for a year with two phones in inventory.

Mark