Poll: Have you had a DSOD and what were the operating conditions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dark Screen of Death (DSOD) Poll

Unscientific, yes, but perhaps we can get a better handle on how big a problem we really have here....

DSOD = Dark Screen of Death

Several users are reporting that their 6700 "locks-up" with either a very dim screen or completely dark screen. The remedy varies between removing and reinserting the miniSD card to soft reset to hard reset. The event renders the unit unusable and it is reported that incoming calls and text messages are ignored.
    Last edited by mooring; 11-14-2005 at 08:45 PM.

I keep reading threads that mention DSOD...but haven't seen one that actually explains what it is...figured first couple posts clarifying what it is might be a good idea

*or if you edit your first post

*edit, interesting....lucky me, hasn't happened to me yet. Is it brand specific?
    I'm using sandisk (as is probably everyone else :/)
    Last edited by mensaphone; 11-14-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Hey Marty, can you stick this for a while?

Unfortunately, I don't think this type of poll will add any knowledge to this issue or be of any help whatsoever. Not intending to be rude here, that just my opinion. Since I don't see an an answer above that really describes my situation I'll just pass on the poll.

I think the issue itself and my experience with it is too complex to be answered by such a simple question/answer.

R

Racedog, I hope you realize that it's been statistically proven that not voting causes DSOD's to happen.

Actually I think it would be very helpful, if nothing else, just to see how prevalent this issue is. It won't be scientific but if 90% of us have this problem then there is definitely something that needs to be fixed with this phone. Is is mostly an SD issue, software or just a problem inherent with the 6700? This could help us narrow it down and maybe even help us to decide just what to complain to Sprint about with one voice.

Originally posted by racedog
    Unfortunately, I don't think this type of poll will add any knowledge to this issue or be of any help whatsoever. Not intending to be rude here, that just my opinion. Since I don't see an an answer above that really describes my situation I'll just pass on the poll.

I think the issue itself and my experience with it is too complex to be answered by such a simple question/answer.

R
    racedog:

No offense taken. I have followed your posts in multiple threads and understand some of your issues and situations. I'm sure there is a "best fit" choice for your phone(s).

This poll was NOT designed to isolate the problem; as Curious Cat suggests, it is simply to gather some data on the existance of some kind of problem. I would much rather go back to SPRINT saying that "in a sample of 100, 95% are having DSOD problems," than say "there are a lot of people having DSOD problems."

There are so many different configurations and setups, it would be impossible to design a poll that could isolate the problem. That is why I made it a balance between specific and broad.

The best I can hope for his lots of votes that can demonstrate there is some kind of stablity issue going on with this phone. (I've been down this road before with the HP 6315, and there ultilamately was a ROM upgrade that greatly improved stablity--I'm not sure how much user forums were influential, but if I were in charge of the fix, I would want as large a database of people with the problem as possible).

Conversely, if there are "a lot" of users without any problems, I will plead my case to SPRINT for a replacement until I get one that doesn't have the problem.

All that said, as I mention in the first post--this is very unscientific, but at least will be mildly interesting to some.
    Last edited by mooring; 11-14-2005 at 11:11 PM.

I have a 512MB miniSD card there is no option for that. I have had this problem about 4 or 5 times.

Maybe we should just say any size miniSD card? I wasn't aware of anyone buying the smaller version.

I had a dosd but it was from plugging the phone in the cradle. Somehow it messed up my backlight settings and I thought my phone was broke

I can sometimes get my phone to recover from the DSOD by opening the slide, waiting for a moment, then closing it, then pressing the wake-up/power button. This doesn't always work though. I get this issue at least once a week.

I have Bookworm, Mort Player and GSPlayer2 installed on miniSD.
    I have eWallet Pro and Today Panel installed in ROM.
    Last edited by emtownsend; 11-15-2005 at 10:38 AM.
    Sprint Touch (WM 6.1)
    Bluetooth to my Mac and my Prius - Gotta love wireless!

does anyone have a 1gb minisd which ISNT sandisk?
    - HTC Harrier - 1200 MHZ Clock, 150 MHZ Memory speed' Modified ROM.

-HTC Apache- 1GB Sandisk miniSD - yes I get the DSOD, still working on the rom.
    when I get the time free.

Ok, I went over the answers again and I don't find one that really fits my situation. I was having multiple and frequent DSOD's. I did a hard reset and re-installed selected third party addons. I use (and used previous to hard reset) a 1 gig Sandisk mini SD and I have third party programs that are run from the SD.

In the last 5 weeks (time since the hard reset and re-isntall) I have had only 1 DSOD and that seemed to be caused by spending an evening in a fringe 1x/EVDO area where the phone was switching between the two and I was receiving an unusally high number of notifications and calls. The fringe area combined with the unusual volume of phone/notification activity seemed to freak out the 6700. Since that night (three weeks ago last night) I have not had another DSOD and had not had one for the two weeks prior to that night.

There simply isn't an answer available above that fits that activity. I had come back to this thread intending to give in and vote but I find I just can't.

R
    Last edited by racedog; 11-15-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Originally posted by inane
    does anyone have a 1gb minisd which ISNT sandisk?
    I don't believe there are any other 1GB 'ers yet...
    Sprint Touch (WM 6.1)
    Bluetooth to my Mac and my Prius - Gotta love wireless!

racedog,
    Go with the last one, "I have had more than one DSOD, 1GB miniSD card, programs installed in both main and storage card." It says, "had" not "have" so it fits fairly well. Anyway, don't sweat it, nobody is grading your answer.

racedog,
    Don't be so complex.... you have HAD more than one, that eliminates the first six, you have storage card, that eliminates two more and from you posts I know you have more than the stock programs that eliminates three more.... it's easy, you have the condition of the last one!

BTW, who moved my cheese, no one will find this poll over here; dang I was hoping for a sample size > 100.
    Last edited by mooring; 11-15-2005 at 07:10 PM.

/bump

Glad I'm not the only one having these issues. I'm going to try a hard reset and reinstall when I'm back from my trip.
    I've installed and removed several programs and reinstalled some so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it.

Originally posted by mooring
    racedog,
    Don't be so complex.....
    I can't help it, its part of my nature! Exactitude is next to godliness or something like that!

Ok, ok, I will vote in this poll.

R

racedog; i was once that way too LOL, I got over it or I got older, not sure what prevailed LOL.

Originally posted by mooring
    racedog; i was once that way too LOL, I got over it or I got older, not sure what prevailed LOL.
    ROFL

I AM older, when I was younger I didn't give a s**t, now I'm older and I care more but just like when I was younger, I don't give a s**t that I care more!
    Figure that one out!

R

Originally posted by Aridon
    /bump

Glad I'm not the only one having these issues. I'm going to try a hard reset and reinstall when I'm back from my trip.
    I've installed and removed several programs and reinstalled some so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it.
    Don't know if it had anything to do with a hard reset and re-install but since I did that a few weeks ago my DSOD issues have pretty much disappeared. Maybe I am just lucky or maybe the hard reset worked.

I do think that one problem I was having was that I was installing some of my WM2003 apps on the 6700 and some of them didn't work. When I removed them, they were removed from the selection screens but like just about all apps, they left remnants behind in the registry, dll's floating around in the system32 and other folders and one even left a executable that was still running. When I hard reset and only installed those programs that I needed and that I knew worked, I left my DSOD issues behind. That is purely anecdotal and may be more coincidence than real but I'm giving that information to be used anyway someone wants to.

R