Poll: Use i500 to connect to internet (tether)?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Does anyone use i500 for internet??

Does anyone use thier i500 to connect to the internet through their laptop (tethering)? I have been doing this for years while incurring no phone charges.

I am no longer able to do this. I'm curious if anyone still can?

I "tether" my i500 all the time when a better connection is not available. I just this minute turned off my router and connected through my i500 just to be sure it still works, and it works fine. I get a connection speed of about 120k.

Converged
    what software\setup do you use?

Software used

i500andrew-

I use PCS Connection Manager 2.0 with Windows XP Pro (SP2). My laptop recognizes the i500 where I can identify it under the Modems hardware profile. It lists as Samsung CDMA Modem.

My hotsntc with Outlook works fine. However, for some reason the Connection Manager no longer "sees" my phone.

The "Connect your phone or card message" message I get at the PCS Vision screen.

I have uninstalled all the devices even down to the USB controller. I have reinstalled the Connection Manager software back to version 1 and then upgraded to v2 after verifying v1 didn't help.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dan

Converged
    Thanks for the info, Dan.

I'm new to the i500 and without the CD that comes with the OEM/retail package so I'm putting things together pretty slowly. Apologies in advance if my questions get pretty simple.

I use Windows 2K and wanted to connect using the i500 (I have unlimited Vision), but Sprint told me that using the i500 as a modem would incur additional charges. Glad to hear that you're not getting hit with the data rates.

Seems like you've done the usual troubleshoooting. A few other things that come to mind are:
    - deleting .tmp files and running a diskcheck
    - creating a new user profile and testing from that fresh profile.
    - if still doesn't work, completely uninstall again but then run a registry cleaner before reinstalling. Remember to back up your registry first!

Hope this will get you back online through your i500. I'm hooking up my laptop as soon as I find the Connection Mgr software. It will be W2K but maybe I can find some more info for you then.

Andrew

Converged
    Just logged into Sprint and looked harder for the software. Found what I think is the same software your're refering to but at version level 3.

Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem USB Cables version 3.01.009

Maybe this would help? I found it as link under Phone details:
    http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/su...oads/items.jsp

I'm goind to research this a bit more before I load it tonight to test my i500 as a modem.

Good luck,
    Andrew

Andrew-

Sounds like some good advice. I'll give your suggestions a try.

I'll try the v3 Connection Manager as well.

As far as charges go; I heard that I was "grandfathered" in because I've had the Vision package so long. It will be easy enough for you to figure out once you've started using the data.

Good luck,

Dan

It works great for me. On a Macintosh OS X machine it just "sees" it as a modem.

It's slow. But when you need to check something quick or just POP your mail down it works. It lowers the quality of the graphics on web pages.

I don't use it much at all. I'm afraid they'll yell at me and/or charge me if I really use it.
    Sprint Treo 700p (previously Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Inconsistently tethered to my 700p)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme

My recommendation is to not use Sprint's connection manager software, it is absolutely not necessary, once you install the phone as a modem using the oem drivers, which if you dont have the cd, you can download from Samsung's site(either go to the i500 support page on Samsung's site, or if you can't find them there, search on the boards, the link to download them is somewhere here), just create a dial up networking connection using the i500 as a modem, and that's it.(settings are blank user/pass, and the number to dial is #777). Ths PCS connection manager is just bloatware, I really don't see why you would use it.
    Regarding the charges, I've had unlimited vision since day one, and have never had a charge while using it tethered; given it's not my primary internet connection, but when I travel, I always use it as my primary connection when hotel internet is not free, and again no surcharges, and I've used it to play internet radio for hours, and download big files and again, no surcharges. let's put it this way, about 2 months ago I did some changes to my plan(not involving vision), and for some reason the rep took off the unlimited vision, next month I had a charge for ~$2700 on my bill, which it's funny cause I got a call along the lines off "We've noticed you've beden using vision, but your account is not provisioned for this, please call us", to make the story short, I called explained I always had vision, the rep screwed up, I have a palm phone which I use for corporate access, and I use it quite heavily, I don't do stupid pics or ringtones or tv, and they fixed it, at no point did they hint that I was abusing the service or anything like that. So hopoe this helps solve your dilema.
    Jorge