Poll: Which do you prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

verichat vs. agile messenger vs. ??

ok so i'm interested in an "always-on" IM functionality - my friends with sidekicks think their AIM experience is superior and i agree so far, since i am using the AIM client that works, but does not have the always on function (phone is in standby mode but AIM presence is on and messages can be received).

i've read most of the posts on this forum about both agile and verichat but haven't seen very much head to head comparison - i'd like to know who has used both and what pros/cons there are to both clients.

please do not factor pricing into this since agile is currently a beta and free...

thanks!

-jeff
    AT&T Tilt aka HTC Kaiser aka TyTn II
    PPC 6700 is now my TV remote control and favorite paperweight lol

Its hard for me to choose. They both have some annoying things about each of them. There seems to be connectivity issues to Verichat's servers at least once a day, but it has superior notifications. I love Agiles tabs and other aspects, but the fact that their notification is all or nothing gets annoying.

None tried IM+ ? I havent got chance to try it.. but it looks more appealing that Agile/Verichat...

IM+ : http://www.pocketgear.com/software_d...ssociateid=185

Before I got the xv6700, I had a non-phone edition iPAQ and loved Agile for wifi chatting. But I was curious about VeriChat's SMS mode. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work yet, I got it configured via a wifi connection, then after I disconnect wifi, the program keeps trying to connect. I thought it was supposed to go into sms mode once the data connection is disabled. Maybe I'm just using it incorrectly or it doesn't actually work the way I am expecting it to

IM+ is fairly similar to Agile, and suffers from the same notifications problems. If you turn on message notifications, your PDA beeps/vibrates every single time you get a message, even if its your active window. There's no happy medium If you set it to show a window when you get a message, then you get a new window every time you get a message as well.

Ok, I figured out why VeriChat keeps trying to "connect", because I had selected auto-login, duh. So I disabled that for each of my IM accounts, closed VeriChat and disconnected from wifi. From my computer, I could still see my IM account logged in, but when I send a message, my phone never received any sms notification, go figure . And then when I re-connect to wifi and open VeriChat again, I receive the message, but not via sms as far s I can tell but through the VeriChat application.

Hands down Verichat is superior to all the IM's, so far that is.

Quote Originally Posted by rennyn
    IM+ is fairly similar to Agile, and suffers from the same notifications problems. If you turn on message notifications, your PDA beeps/vibrates every single time you get a message, even if its your active window. There's no happy medium If you set it to show a window when you get a message, then you get a new window every time you get a message as well.
    Hmmm....that's interesting because I have Agil setup to vibrate and show a pop-up notification window, it does vibrate when I'm in an active window but I do not get a pop-up window notification. The only time I get the window is when I get a message from someone I am not actively chatting with.

verichat is definitely the best. You get messages via sms but they look like regular IMs and have the option of opening the program and connecting to continue chatting. It can actually save you money because you can use it in place of SMS conversations with AIM.

I used im+, agile, verichat. The always on feature is a necessity. I'm surprised no one has made use of the push e-mail feature to provide always on IM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarshmellow
    verichat is definitely the best. You get messages via sms but they look like regular IMs and have the option of opening the program and connecting to continue chatting. It can actually save you money because you can use it in place of SMS conversations with AIM.

I used im+, agile, verichat. The always on feature is a necessity. I'm surprised no one has made use of the push e-mail feature to provide always on IM.
    I guess I'm confused. If Verichat uses SMS doesn't that mean you get charged for each message, depending on which plan you have, but in the end you would get charged, correct?
    Also, I hear everyone say that Verichat has this "always on" feature and Agile doesn't - I have AgileMessenenger (beta) and I am always on. yes, I am always on, I checked. I login on my phone via Agile, then on my laptop I login under a different screenname - and the Agile is always there, never leaves.

always on

Basically, you can close verichat or have your phone off or whatever. When your phone is turned back on, it gets 1 sms message. This sms acts as a trigger and opens up verichat which then connects to the internet to keep talking.

With agile, you need to keep the program open which in turns keeps a constant connection to the internet. This kills your battery and it slows down your phone since you have an extra app open all the time. If you turn your phone off, you aren't getting any messages.

Since you only use 1 sms to open the program, it's not that bad. Once you connect to the internet, all the messages are free and if you use AIM, you can even send/receive SMS to other phones for free over the internet through it.

Also, the file transfer in Verichat kicks the butt of the picture transfer and the limited transfer in IM+'s !

Basically, you can close verichat or have your phone off or whatever. When your phone is turned back on, it gets 1 sms message. This sms acts as a trigger and opens up verichat which then connects to the internet to keep talking.

With agile, you need to keep the program open which in turns keeps a constant connection to the internet. This kills your battery and it slows down your phone since you have an extra app open all the time. If you turn your phone off, you aren't getting any messages.

Since you only use 1 sms to open the program, it's not that bad. Once you connect to the internet, all the messages are free and if you use AIM, you can even send/receive SMS to other phones for free over the internet through it.
    Ah, that clears things up and makes sense. And yes, when Agile is on it does drain the battery at a quicker rate, not doubt about that. However, one point that I don't think I agree with, again it could be my lack of understanding, but when I turn the phone off I still get IM's. Now let me say this, you can never truly turn the phone off unless you pull the battery, correct? because on my 6700 when I push the power button it only goes to "sleep". When I get a call, email, or IM it "wakes up" and is ready to use. So it has happened when the phone is off/asleep I will get an IM and it will come through. Again, the only true "off" I know about it pulling the battery.
    Another point/question - since I can not be on EVDO and talking on the phone at the same time, what happens to my AIM session?? Hmmm...I will have to test this, my guess is the session gets dropped and reconnects when I'm done talking on the phone? I've never noticed.
    <---learning a lot, good discussion!
    Last edited by Special_K; 05-03-2006 at 02:02 PM.

I think it's pretty simple: agile works only when you have internet. If you go through a dead spot, pull the battery, reset the phone, etc, agile isn't working.

Sms messages are saved on the server when your phone is down so work anytime so verichat works anytime.

I think it's pretty simple: agile works only when you have internet. If you go through a dead spot, pull the battery, reset the phone, etc, agile isn't working.

Sms messages are saved on the server when your phone is down so work anytime so verichat works anytime.
    No, I get it - I can see that as an advantage. I guess if Agile could add an SMS alret option that would be cool, but I'm not expecting them to do that.

Also, I just did a test: I signed onto Agile, signed onto another AIM screen name on laptop. Sent a few test messages, then called my cell from my desk. While the call was going on I sent an AIM from laptop to phone - received nothing on phone, no indication of incoming IM. However, at the same time I did not show the Agile screen name being signed off - on my laptop it showed as connect. It was until I ended the call did I see and indication that Agile signed off then signed right back on. Even after the call ended I did not get notified of an IM - so in this aspect I would say Verichat wins.

I will stay with Agile for now - I like it, it works fairly well and it's free...for now. Hopefully they can address this issue and if they ever being to charge for the app I will look at Verichat.

Thanks!

I'm kind of surprised that AIM doesn't have an offline chat. I don't use IM very much so don't know what's new but I remember when I used ICQ or yahoo, it would save messages and send them to me after I was logged on.

I think AIM has a SMS notification option if you are offline but integration with Agile is key. You can get a free trial with verichat and see how well it works.

I don't use it enough to justify paying for it.

I have used both for quite a while and own registrations to both. Agile is a little nicer to move around in with the DPad and if I am connected to a Power Outlet while working is what I use.... but if I am on battery alone, then Verichat blows Agile away. My battery drains more than twice as fast with Agile running, as it keeps you connected all the time... Verichat times out, leaves you logged in, and turns it to an SMS notification, then when you decide to chat with a message that comes in, it wakes the app up and you are right where you were before. No one can tell that you are on a SMS device, it is completely transparent. That is what I love and it is a great battery saver. I can run Verichat all day with almost no differnce in battery life. I wish they could use Agile's method of menus, and DPad use... then it would be perfect.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

If I was going to design and code a mobile IM application, it would probably end up looking a lot like Verichat. This application is near ideal for its purpose.

Like mentioned, Verichat needs to work a little on improving navigation. They especially need to improve navigating by D-Pad.

Other things I would like to see:

-- An option to retain a history of your conversation. Right now if you close the app you can lose information you may have been sent. Most often for me this means some number or date.

-- An option to display the date when the sender sent the message.

-- Lastly, an option to turn off the heartbeat if there was only a 1xRTT connection available so that it wasn't sending incomming calls to voice mail.

All told this a very well designed application and well worth its price.
    Dave
    POD13

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pod13
    If I was going to design and code a mobile IM application, it would probably end up looking a lot like Verichat. This application is near ideal for its purpose.

Like mentioned, Verichat needs to work a little on improving navigation. They especially need to improve navigating by D-Pad.

Other things I would like to see:

-- An option to retain a history of your conversation. Right now if you close the app you can lose information you may have been sent. Most often for me this means some number or date.

-- An option to display the date when the sender sent the message.

-- Lastly, an option to turn off the heartbeat if there was only a 1xRTT connection available so that it wasn't sending incomming calls to voice mail.

All told this a very well designed application and well worth its price.
    is Verichat 100% SMS application?
    Dosent this get expensive both paying for Verichat + unlimited SMS feature on your cell plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K
    is Verichat 100% SMS application?
    Verichat is not an SMS application. I pay ten cents for every SMS message and wouldn't use it if it was a SMS application.

I do pay for unlimited internet, but I would have done that regardless of my chat client. Verichat does cost $25/year, but since Verichat has to pay some cost to maintain my messages server-side when my phone is offline, I don't mind the price.
    Dave
    POD13