Poll: Which is most important to you on your next phone

+ Reply to Thread
    boe

What feature would be most important on your next PDA Phone.

Hello,

I've had two HTC/UTstar phones - the 6600 and my current the 6700. I'm starting seriously doubt if I will get another based on two simple things - the BT and the thickness.

While the UBiQUio 501 is currently designed for GSM, I'm hoping they make a similar model for CDMA. http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?...hardware.co.uk http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C9244/

I love/hate my 6700. I really DISLIKE the THICKNESS of my 6700 above all else but a very close second is the crappy BT on it. Other than that I don't have any extreme issues with it.

I realize no PDA phone palm, windows or symbian phone is completely stable. I can't blame that as much on the hardware as on the OS manufacturer. I also realize there are those that want a keyboard and those that would forgo it for a thinner unit or a larger screen. I realize there are those that want a camera and those that are upset by the additional space required as well as have jobs that may not permit cameraphones.

I will seriously look at the UBiQUio if it is an option vs. the HTC next time around. I've had two HTC units and I think it is time they got the BT right. Somehow I doubt they will on the next model based on their track record. It took XDA enthusiasts to make the 6600 BT even remotely useable. The 6700 BT is weak compared to far cheaper standard phones.

Considering the 6700 is even THICKER than the 6600 predecessor, I doubt that the 6800 will be 14mm thick/thin like the full WM5 501.

I think if more SLIM pdaphones hit the market, we could eventually see them being more common than standard cell phones.

The other remaining issue is the QVGA res. It pretty much makes browsing the web so unpleasant I'll call a friend to look up info instead of using my phone when I'm not near a computer. I realize that slim small VGA screens are a recent development (after the HTC Universal). But it would be nice if we saw them on the newer phones.
    Last edited by boe; 08-28-2006 at 02:32 PM.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

The thickness of the 6700 is not an issue for me now that I no longer haul around my laptop, PDA, and cell phone. That said, I am 90% sure I would upgrade to a 6800 or else a more powerful slider-keyboard-larger screen-WM OS-EVDO-camera-enabled offering. For me a slim pda phone would be icing.

Had it been offered, my vote in the poll would have been "A stable WM OS."
    Last edited by FalseIdol; 08-28-2006 at 02:33 PM.
    "The future will remember us."
    ---
    Convergance History: Axim+Cell > PPC 6700 > Treo 700wx

boe
    Sorry I messed up on the poll - I meant to enable multiple choice selection. I've posted an request for the administrator.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

Thickness on my 6700 isn't an issue nor have I had much issue with the BT stack on the phone.

Where the phone absolutely sucks is in volume (post update) of the speaker / ear piece and the lack of a dial pad on the face of the phone.

In a perfect world I'd like VGA but I know that will only come once battery life is expanded significantly. More on board memory is nice but with storage cards its almost not necessary.

For me the perfect phone would have functional BT, loud ringer, strong vibrate, loud speakers, good memory / processor etc... Combine all that in a phone with a dial pad that opens in the middle for the main screen and qwerty keys. I guess similar to the Nokias but perhaps a little smaller thickness but slightly larger width for the better screen and keyboard.

One other thing I've noticed is I can totally live without WiFi. Its totally over rated for me. The number of times I don't have signal and need to get on the net are minimal, much less the times I don't have signal and have Wi Fi available. Pull the radio and make room for something else. Once data roaming comes into play Wi FI will be even less of a necessity.

OTHER!!! If an IPOD can have 60 GB storage, why cant they put more "storage memory" in a PPC???? this will free up more of the valuable RAM for APPZ...

I would like a built-in fully functinal (able to be used with 3rd party applications) GPS. That way I can be totally converged.

I also want a no-camera option in any PDA/Phone.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzer
    OTHER!!! If an IPOD can have 60 GB storage, why cant they put more "storage memory" in a PPC???? this will free up more of the valuable RAM for APPZ...

Because the Ipod doesn't have to fit in a BT, wi fi, cell radio and not too mention a decent sized screen, OS and make it all work together nearly flawlessly with good battery life for under a grand.

Thickness/thinness, but actually it is the over all form factor. The 6700 is one ugly brick.

The Samsung i770 looks interesting. Maybe it will come out in a CDMA version and not such like past clamshell PPC phones like the MPX.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones
    Thickness/thinness, but actually it is the over all form factor. The 6700 is one ugly brick.
    Oh, Lazybones. Didn't your mother tell you? True beauty ...of the 6700... is on the inside!
    "The future will remember us."
    ---
    Convergance History: Axim+Cell > PPC 6700 > Treo 700wx

Quote Originally Posted by FalseIdol
    Oh, Lazybones. Didn't your mother tell you? True beauty ...of the 6700... is on the inside!
    It is the only reason I can stand to hold it. It is the most feature packed CDMA PDA Phone on the market.

However, needing to use a screen lock program is slowly driving me nuts. About half of the phones I have owned have been clamshell style, and by getting the 6700 I broke my personal rule of never getting a bar style phone again.

Open answer / close hang up.. No need to worry about random calls while they are closed.

I don't think I would be able to continue using the 6700 without VJDeviceLock

I do miss my I500, I really liked that phone. I'd love to see a phone with the hardware of the 6700 and the form factor of the i500.

Next Gen 100%
    Ohhh...I wonder when the i770 will come out...And how that keyboard will work. o.O

converged slap happy
    Well after using the PPC-6700 what I have most grieved by the small screen and no vga! As a mechanical engineer every time I look at the phone I know if they had spent a few more bucks on the case they could squeeze a screen that covers almost the whole face and tehn fit the other buttons on the bottom edge. A side scroll bar (as i have used on the blackberry) is better than the d-pad for daily use.

Here is my list in order of need.

1) VGA screen same size as 6600 but no wider/taller than the 6700.
    2) More mem. why can't this have 1gb on board?!!! Geez! What the heck is wrong with these people? 64 meg Rom? 64 meg ram? what!?
    3) Faster (my phone runs just fine at 624 mhz)
    4) Better battery (The 6700 with std battery is ok, but is bulky with the bigger batter - if it had the bigger screen and vga it would be acceptable)

However I will tell you the #1 obstacle to people accepting these pda phones - software.

People ask me hey I like your phone do you recommend it. If the person is very tech savvy or a pda guru already I will whole heartily recommend the phone. To everyone else I say - uhh - no. I've talked probably 30-40 people out of getting this phone and I know at least 10+ peoplewho have one because of me. It's not really the phones fault though. So why don't recommend them to the masses. You all know/

You have to spend countless hours tweaking just to get them to work right. You all know what I'm talking about.
    1) figuring out what software utilities you need to just get basic functionality
    2) Trying to figure out which ones work
    3) Then you spend time trying to get it to fit in memory
    4) about the time you get that done - darn ROM update and hard reset time.
    5) Still after that 3 clicks to do anything? (Sorry orb, logmein, WM, etc...)

All the PDA hardware vendors and software makers would do well if they all worked together to make a better way for installing and maintaining these programs. When I bought Windows 95 I didn't have to spend another $24 and $15 just to get cascading menus in the explorer window and start menu!! (no offense resco& Wisbar) That's just a rip off. How about paying another $50 just so the note/handwriting works at a functional level? (no offense phatpad) Its a joke.

For these to go main stream, the mobile software industry has to catch up. Most people don't want to or don't have time to sort thru thousands of posts to get their device to do what is supposed to.

All said - I love my PPC-6700.

So any vendors out there I here all week if you have questions - ha ha.
    Last edited by i4edge; 09-05-2006 at 03:54 PM.

boe
    Again sorry for messing up on the poll selection - I can't fix it unfortunately. Should I or someone else repost this poll - adding in the ability to select multiple choice?

I was going to add a few more things
    - seperate volume control for ringer
    - more built in memory (not sure if that is a limitation of WM5)

The ideal converged device:

* Packaging
    --------------
    - Well-protected clamshell flip design (like Kyo 7135)
    - Hidden antennas and rounded edges for comfort in the pocket
    - Simple always-on, top-mounted, external LCD display (like Kyo 7135)
    - Full keyboard, no graffiti pad, and 5-way navigator (like Treo 650)
    - Removable battery, with optional extended life battery
    - Standardized connector interfaces for data (USB),
    head sets (2.5 mm), and power.
    - Colored plastics (not coatings or paint) so scratches are not so obvious.

* Hardware
    -------------
    - Huge RAM (100 MB?)
    - Fast microprocessor (like Treo 650)
    - VGA ish (2" 640X640) Screen
    - SD Card slot (4 GB)
    - MP3 Player
    - Plug-in 2 MegaPixel camera module (so I can remove it at work,
    but have it elsewhere)
    - Strong IR transmitter (for learning remote S/W - e.g. OmniRemote)
    - LED Flashlight

* Software
    ------------
    - Operating System (e.g., Palm or Windows):
    . Fully configurable
    . Includes full PDA features
    . Has a large selection of aftermarket applications
    - Voice dial (shame on Palm for not including it!)

* Radios
    ----------
    - GPS Radio
    - AM/FM Radio
    - FRS Radio (i.e., walkie-talkie)
    - Learning RF remote radio (to replace key fobs and garage door openers)
    - No WiFi or BlueTooth (Save the space for something useful!)

* Telephone
    --------------
    - CDMA and GSM versions
    - Speakerphone
    - External volume buttons
    - Well integrated into PDA (like Kyo 7135, not like Treo 650)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzer

I agree 100%

Next Gen 100%
    Because it would make it much thicker, consume even more battery life, and make the device cost $300 more?

I would LOVE hard drives too, but storage tech. has to evolve much more.

I would like to see basically the 6600 with a VGA screen and (of course) EVDO Rev A.

I like the keyboard on the 6700 a lot more as it's a lot more comfortable to type on, but I prefer the form factor of the 6600.

I would like the Sharp WZero3. I would settle for a HTC Universal.