Poll: What is the most imporant feature of new handhelds?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you think is most important in future PDA Phone Releases?

As the question states, what do you think is the next most important feature in PDA Phones that the manufacturers need to focus on?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Wow, it seems like this is pretty evenly divided.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Go sell crazy somewhere else ... austinbrady's Avatar
    SCREEN SIZE TOO!
    I've been squinting since I replaced my 6600.
    Best Regards,
    Peace and Prosperity
    Austin A. Brady

if you can read this you've selected text!!! :)

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    And longer batter life seems to be pulling out into a small lead...
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    Wow, it seems like this is pretty evenly divided.
    And therefore the conundrum that PDA phone manufacturers have run into... what is the next "gee whiz" that will create the buzz to get users to buy their device? With all of them so equally divided, it is a tough choice and much risk for their R & D programs...
    John

Forever Confused
    To "me" it has to be battery life. I'm still running my 6600, so screen is ok and I don't have too

Quote Originally Posted by austinbrady View Post
    squinting since I replaced my 6600.
    Although I wouldn't mind it being vga. But after all the tweaks, I can fit all my programs into storage with room leftover. And plenty of program space to run them in.

Hello everyone,

I never cease to be amazed at the fact that people do not mind having so little memory in their program side of the PPC. I am tired of Microsoft and MVP's saying that the OS does a great job of handling the memory and you don't need that much space. And, that is probably true with a virgin PPC with no other software loaded from 3rd party vendors. Thanks, but I want to load what and how much I want on to MY device. If you are happy, then I am glad for you. Every program loads a little into the main memory. Whether you load it to a safe store/external card or whatever. And that takes a little space. And a little here, and a little there... Soon you have a PPC that is stuffed and slow.

Give me a couple gig. Heck, give me a bunch. The more the happier I'll be.

Thanks to Apple for showing up with a 4 and 8 GB phone. Yes I already know the limitations. No loading programs into the phone. Blah, blah, blah. How long do you think it will take someone to figure out a hack around that. And then Microsoft had better watch out. They have been sitting on their laurels for a little to long. Let the games begin. And being the consumer, I get to reap the rewards of the bloodshed.

Now, I will sit back and prepare to be flamed...

Regards to all,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Hello everyone,

I never cease to be amazed at the fact that people do not mind having so little memory in their program side of the PPC. I am tired of Microsoft and MVP's saying that the OS does a great job of handling the memory and you don't need that much space. And, that is probably true with a virgin PPC with no other software loaded from 3rd party vendors. Thanks, but I want to load what and how much I want on to MY device. If you are happy, then I am glad for you. Every program loads a little into the main memory. Whether you load it to a safe store/external card or whatever. And that takes a little space. And a little here, and a little there... Soon you have a PPC that is stuffed and slow.

Give me a couple gig. Heck, give me a bunch. The more the happier I'll be.

Thanks to Apple for showing up with a 4 and 8 GB phone. Yes I already know the limitations. No loading programs into the phone. Blah, blah, blah. How long do you think it will take someone to figure out a hack around that. And then Microsoft had better watch out. They have been sitting on their laurels for a little to long. Let the games begin. And being the consumer, I get to reap the rewards of the bloodshed.

Now, I will sit back and prepare to be flamed...
    Flamed? I couldn't agree with you more! More companies need to think outside the box so we get more innovation instead of the same old thing repackaged and rebranded over and over again.
    John

While I crave more memory, the form is the most practical thing I need. I need it to fit in a pocket for me to carry it around day and night...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Being a graphics guy, I'd love to see faster processors, and better video capabilities. I'm sure with that would come more ram. I'm trying to push the limits of my Q, and I've easily done that. Time to optimize!

Honestly, isn't the answer really ALL of them

This is a really tough poll to answer, because I know I'd like longer battery life, higher rez screen, and a CRAPLOAD more memory (10gb+ kthx) and some wireless g on the side.

Reason being is I personally use my xv6700 as my cell phone, mp3 player, soon to be GPS, portable gaming device, portable movie player, portable ebook reader, and a portable internet connection/workstation.

Battery life and memory help alot with the above, although the screen res really takes the taco for me personally, since memory just ain't gonna happen (I still don't understand why we can't roll with TWO freaking SD card readers...) but in some way shape or form, everyone wants atleast 2 things here.

Now, let us a take a moment to reflect on how far pda's have really come.

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    Faster processor!!

faster processor come on it's 2007 let's move on to laser processor their cheaper way energy efficient and don't heat ur phone when being used for a long duration of time.

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    Hmmmm...my company sells laser...maybe a good idea!

However, let me tell you...THEY ARE NOT CHEAP! Ok, well...not the ones we sell. ;D

Definitely battery life! The Q is the closest to a perfect form for my use. I have room to install the programs I want and it fits nicely in my pocket. My problem is I need a charger available everywhere I go.
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

BATTERY LIFE!!!

The form factor is just fine. How small are your pockets? Look at the 2 largest users of converged devices. They are business users (sales reps, project managers, etc.) and technology professionals. Both segements are rarely in an office where they have their phone cradle, bothe segements spend a lot of time in the field, and both segments have a large need for Talk time, and data time. Whether it is sending a quick response to a customer, or re-booting a server from accross the state, it doesn't matter how swell the picture looks if you can't turn the bloody device on because you ran out of juice!

The manufacturer that comes out with a phone that has the following capabilities get's a huge chunk of business:

- Form approximate to what is currently on the market
    - Talk time, wi-fi time of 10 hours or more
    - Ability to view and edit common business documents (.doc, .pdf, etc)
    - Superior Call Quality as well PDA Functionality
    - Ability to be upgraded

If a company comes to market with those 3 things, you will see a massive consumption on the part of businesses. The college kids, Paris Hiltons, and Hollywood crowd can have their "Sexy" looking devices. Give me one with the above factors checked off and I am willing to pay upwards of a $1,000 or $1,200! I would be willing to pay some decent money for a device that is reasonably future proof!

The whole point of a converged device is to stay organized and enhance your ability to communicate. I wish a manufacturer would come out with a device that they could market by saying the following...

"Do you want a phone that can give a pacemaker a heart attack? Do you want a phone that can get e-mail from Saturn's moon Titan? Do you want to give Capt Kirk "Communication Device Envy"? Then come on down to Cell Plan Provider of your choice. We have that device for you."

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
    ...The manufacturer that comes out with a phone that has the following capabilities get's a huge chunk of business:

- Form approximate to what is currently on the market
    - Talk time, wi-fi time of 10 hours or more
    - Ability to view and edit common business documents (.doc, .pdf, etc)
    - Superior Call Quality as well PDA Functionality
    - Ability to be upgraded

If a company comes to market with those 3 things, you will see a massive consumption on the part of businesses....
    Which three things are you referring to?

While I agree with four of those five items, the ability to work with documents really isn't the manufacturers' responsibility. That's for third party developers to create applications. It sounds like you want the manufacturers to provide software for you too.

Many of today's WM5 devices can probably be upgraded, but what carrier wants to offer you an upgrade? They want you to buy a new, subsidised device and re-up for another two years. Again, not really fair to put this on the manufacturers.
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb View Post
    Which three things are you referring to?

While I agree with four of those five items, the ability to work with documents really isn't the manufacturers' responsibility. That's for third party developers to create applications. It sounds like you want the manufacturers to provide software for you too.

Many of today's WM5 devices can probably be upgraded, but what carrier wants to offer you an upgrade? They want you to buy a new, subsidised device and re-up for another two years. Again, not really fair to put this on the manufacturers.
    Good thing I'm in sales and not engineering! That whole counting thing...sheesh.

I agree that to put the software on the manufacturer is not a good idea. I was writing from more the user point of view. In today's age where "Name your provider" is branding everything theirs, etc. it does not really matter to me if Palm, Windows, Motorola, LG, Samsung, Apple, or whomever puts a product out. I want it to perform certain functions.

I agree with you that cell providers want to go the route of a new phone and extend the plan. But, the providers have to see the wisdom in what I call the "Daimler Benz Model." Back when it was Daimler/Benz, Mercedes was the top car of choice when it came to combining style, reliability, and overall value. Sure there were more stylish cars (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini), there were cheaper cars (take your pick), but there were no cars or manufacturers that offered such a high quality and stylish vehicle (Look at resale value and longevity) as the Mercedes brand. Sure there are new kids on the block like Lexus, but they took the quality model from Benz.

When a cell phone provider/manufacturer does that, they will have the same brand loyalty that Mercedes does.

Drew

I say VGA followed closely by GPS. As long as it will last a day and a half on charge that is all I need.

And id realllllly like a 100% compliant web browser. im not sure why that is so hard.
    Im bitter, why cant I get a VGA pda phone phone with a high speed data carrier in the US? is that to much to ask?

I'm hoping that Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others take some time to analyze what apple did with the iphone in terms of battery life because it seems truly amazing.

This excerpt from Engadget's review of the iPhone:

"The biggest upshot we found on the media playback, though, was the iPhone's Herculean battery life. We've seen other reviews' media playback results vary, but ours seemed to jump far ahead of even Apple's lofty expectations.

Playing relatively high bitrate VGA H.264 videos, our iPhone lasted almost exactly 9 freaking hours of continuous playback with cell and WiFi on (but Bluetooth off). Yeah, we had to pick our jaws up off the floor, too. So by our tests, you could watch a two hour movie and drain off a little more than 22% of the battery -- totally acceptable for trip-taking and the like.

Our music testing showed similarly outstanding results. Playing back 160-192Kbps MP3s, our iPhone pushed about 29 hours and 30 minutes music playback. To put that in perspective, the Apple claims the iPod nano gets about 24 hours playback on a full charge, and the iPod a scant 14 - 20 hours.

To do a little simple math, you could watch two hours of video, listen to 8 straight hours of music, and still have only drained off less than half your device's capacity -- that is, if your iPhone's battery works as well as ours. (Read: your battery life may differ.) Still, if that's a good estimate of what users can expect from their device's power drain, you should have little issue making the iPhone your music and video player, in addition to your cellphone."

So the technology is here! From what I understand the iPhone is using a plain ol' lithium ion battery like the rest of us, but they've somehow managed to coax that kind of battery life with ultra low voltage processors and whatnot, other manufacturers need to take notice and implement similar improvements please!