Poll: Have you dropped Verizon because of slow release of high tech phones?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Geek

Question Have you dropped (or plan to drop) Verizon???

Have you dropped Verizon because of their very slow release schedule of high tech PDA phones?

Yup, switched to Sprint, and very glad I did. The ridiculously priced data plan on Verizon was the main reason why I dumped them, but I also didn't want to wait forever for their 6800.

I switched to Sprint. I would have paid Verizon 2X much as I currently pay Sprint and stayed with Verizon if they had released the damn XV6800.

I refuse to pay 2X much for stone age handsets. With Sprint I can still roam Verizon's network so I'm not really losing anything.

Personally, I don't need the latest, so I stick around. Plus the In calling on our family share plan is the main reason to stay.
    Voted sticking w/ old phones.

Yes, I did. I waited for the i760 forever and finally gave up. Went from paying $120 for an 1000 (little more) minute plan with data to paying $57 for a 1250 minute plan with data and unlimited text messages. Sprint's customer service is absolutely incompetent, but once you get it working just pay your bill and you don't have to deal with them. I sent a note to the CEO and got a call back today where the rep acknowleged their poor service, said their stock declined severely because of it, and that they are working hard to correct it. The service (delay to get in touch with someone, misrouted calls, disconnected calls, lack of knowledge, etc.) is absolutely ridiculous and will take them time to work through. But now that I have it going, the phone and the plan is well worth it. Coverage for me is about as good.

Can You Hear Me Now ?! AFAngryWarrior's Avatar
    Switched to the native provider on the Gulfcoast Alltel, and am not looking back... They're also CDMA but the data is SOOOO much cheaper.

Would love to switch to Sprint, but their service just plain sucks where I am at a portion of the time. So i am pretty much stuck with Verizon or cingular and I don't like cingular.
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

Verizon's pricing is out of line. We moved 7 well used phone lines to Sprint. With all the features (data, phone, lots of minutes, etc.) we're saving significant money. Verizon wasn't competitive.

I stick with Verizon because they are the only carrier that works for me. I have a Moto Q which was not an "old" phone when I got it -- IIRC Verizon had them first. Now all the "new" phones are some variation of it.
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

I love Verizon. Yeah you pay more but you get great service. During the blackout here in Michigan they were the only provider puting generators on the cell sites. They worked. I mean if they can provide service in a situation like that and I can communicate with my wife... I would pay for that kind of service.

I agree with sticking with Verizon.

First, they owe me $100 for a new-every-two. Second, you get what you pay for. I can pass DSL speeds on my XV6600; not to mention I get voice coverage EVERYWHERE with no dropped calls (eat my shorts AT&T).

But I've had it with waiting for the XV6800!! JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY!! I want that phone!
    Verizon XV6600

verizon the BEST

I too am frustrated waiting on the XV6800. My contract has up a while. I have been a longtime verizon customer with both landline and wireless service. Although their prices might be high, their customer service is excellent. Everytime i considered switching services to another carrier i hear too many horror stories from friends who went for the advertizing gimmicks to get you to switch. When i have problems with my phones verizon will replace them without a hassle. I have 3 wireless accounts, a landline and DSL accounts with verizon. I recently changed my TV account from COMCAST to VERIZON. Check the quality of the picture out.

I now pay VERIZON a great portion of my salary monthly for services. There are the best. Remember, you get what you pay for.
    spartacus

Fully Converged
    I vote for sticking with vzw. They may be a tad slow to release phones but that also has to deal with who gets first dibs and how long the exclusivity goes for most sprint/vzw phones its anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. Plus i work for VZW as a tech so i would have to pretty much change jobs to change providers lol...

For those still waiting...

Close but not quite... It's my stores dummy unit lol...
    Last edited by Nemanracing; 08-13-2007 at 04:20 AM.
    XV6900 Custom WM6.1, 8GB microSDHC
    History:WM6.1 XV6800w/GPS,XV6700 WM6.1,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX, Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

Questions make this poll useless

One of the goals of a poll is neutral unbiased questions. This one clearly was not.

I am sticking with Verizon because of their superior customer service. Check Consumer Reports magazine each year. They don't slightly beat other carriers, they stomp them. I will put up with a few things if the service warrants it. Verizon's does...

Quote Originally Posted by Datboy313 View Post
    I love Verizon. Yeah you pay more but you get great service. During the blackout here in Michigan they were the only provider puting generators on the cell sites. They worked. I mean if they can provide service in a situation like that and I can communicate with my wife... I would pay for that kind of service.
    Well said! Thats 1 reason I stick with them to. Also their data transfer is EXTREMLY fast for me.

Just so I don't sound biased, I also have cingular service with 3g data, and verizon BLOWS it away. If verizon could just get high speed data figured out(working) on roaming networks i'd probally drop cingular. Sprints not even a choice for me, their service sucks where I need it. Me personally, i'll sacrafice the fancy NEW phone for the quality service.

I dumped Verizon and I could not be happier! Verizon EVDO gave me 100K MAX in my area. Sprint gets around 600+ all the time. The PPC-6800 kick the *** out of my Samsung i730. Also my bill of $211 per month with Verizon is now $110 a month with sprint for 2500 minutes, unlimited internet and unlimited messaging.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffNLA View Post
    I dumped Verizon and I could not be happier! Verizon EVDO gave me 100K MAX in my area. Sprint gets around 600+ all the time. The PPC-6800 kick the *** out of my Samsung i730. Also my bill of $211 per month with Verizon is now $110 a month with sprint for 2500 minutes, unlimited internet and unlimited messaging.

My guess is you were not in EVDO at that speed. Probally 1X mode.

I Guess with these phones/service providers it all comes down to whos service works best for the areas you travel/live. I'm not opposed to any of them, I JUST WANT GOOD QUALITY SERVICE, AND SIGNAL when i'm away from home, and in my home. I heard sprint has great high speed data but I get ZERO signal in some areas I would travel with sprint. I know because I used to have them, and nextel. Its funny, cause the coverage map for sprint in michigan is awesome EXCEPT for the area I live which says spotty coverage. Go figure!

Thumbs down Verizon New Phones?

Give up! They are going for the 12 year old group with new phones and Blackberrys for business. (because they can sell other services) They stall onWM 6 professional devices because it cut them out of revenues, by not selling the secondary solutions. Give up move on to TMobile or ATT.

Verizon is expensive and they don't have the best phones, agreed. But, I'm sticking with them because of the network quality. There's a big difference between Verizon and the other carriers in my area, so there's no contest. Yes, I am sick to death of my i730. It's huge, has terrible battery life, and crashes every day. But, switching to sprint or God forbid AT&T would be biting off my nose to spite my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
    Verizon is expensive and they don't have the best phones, agreed. But, I'm sticking with them because of the network quality. There's a big difference between Verizon and the other carriers in my area, so there's no contest. Yes, I am sick to death of my i730. It's huge, has terrible battery life, and crashes every day. But, switching to sprint or God forbid AT&T would be biting off my nose to spite my face.

Haha! +1 here. I used to have AT&T (back when they were pac-bell), and I used to have sprint. Yes, it's incredible how they can be so slow with the release of cutting edge phones (I've heard enough of the story "oh, we like to test our phones extensively before we release them". Lame!). I also agree they are on the expensive side, but I'm not one to decide based solely on price, I'm more quality based. The service has been very good to me. Everytime I call up, I am treated professionally, and helped with care (I know from experience that Sprint and AT&T do not provide this type of friendly customer service).

If in theory, I were to ever switch (Which I wouldn't), it would probably be with Sprint. I don't need to go to AT&T for lousy service, and trendy phone (Lol, and I certainly don't need to have my phone make all kinds of noise through the speakers). Sprint has good service, cheaper prices (I think), and their nighttime starts at 7PM (not 9 like Verizon). Oh, and they have some nice phones too.

Other than that, I am more than happy with my modded WM6 XV6700!