Poll: Do you use your PDA phone for Music and Video?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100

    Do you use your PDA phone for Music and Video

    With the introduction of 4GB and 8GB microSD cards you can now fit a good portion of your music and even a couple of movies on your PDA phone. So, has your PDA phone replaced your iPod?

    Personally, I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks. The number one device recommended on Audiobook enthusiasts websites for this type of content? PDAs. So, now I rarely use my iPod because instead I use my phone.

    So, I’m wondering how many others have taken convergence to the next level.

  2. #2
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-16-2002
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    9,440
    You left out the most positive answer, so I added it for you. I use mine that way a lot.
    Mike - Been Converged?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-10-2007
    Posts
    1
    wont your phone battery suffer?

  4. #4
    Registered User jpmihalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-09-2004
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    4,722
    My iPhone is MADE to do that!
    John

  5. #5
    Converged and Redeemed
    Join Date
    12-27-2003
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    1,456
    I did it infrequently on my Windows Mobile phones. Now that I have an iPhone, I do it A LOT.
    Pastor Tim Satryan
    Communicating the Good News!
    Visit my website - WILMINGTON first assembly of God

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    114
    I listen to 2-3 books a month from Audible.com. They have a player for my Samsung I-760, really any windows mobile device. I've been a customer fo them for over 5 years.

    Lenny

  7. #7
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    You left out the most positive answer, so I added it for you. I use mine that way a lot.
    Thanks! I couldn't figure out how to go an add this answer.

  8. #8
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by TeemobileRob View Post
    wont your phone battery suffer?
    Depends on your phone battery. Motorola Q9M gets about a day on the extended battery. But, really, I usually listen to music or podcasts at my desk at work or in my car. So, I can always plug in if I need to. Added bonus (especially in the car), the music or audiobook or podcast will automatically pause. Plus, once I started using my phone for music, I had to go out and get a 3.5 mm adapter so that I could listen in stereo. I plug it into my tape adapter and I've got phone calls and media through my car stereo.

  9. #9
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
    My iPhone is MADE to do that!
    Yeah, Windows Media Player is pretty horrible. It's user unfriendly AND a bloated memory hog. But, with Core or PocketPlayer and a 6gb memory card, I don't need no stinkin' iPhone (totally tongue and cheek of course; love the iPhone; it's already making all phones much better).

  10. #10
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by lwleedy View Post
    I listen to 2-3 books a month from Audible.com. They have a player for my Samsung I-760, really any windows mobile device. I've been a customer fo them for over 5 years.

    Lenny
    I love Audible.com and the Audible Air software! I also listen to Overdrive audiobooks that I download from my Library's website.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2007
    Posts
    3
    the batteries on most phones dont even last long enough to be used as a phone for a whole day. how the hell do they think were gonna use them as mp3 players too? dont make much sense

  12. #12
    Converged and Redeemed
    Join Date
    12-27-2003
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    1,456
    Makes plenty of sense now that I have an iPhone - my battery will last for nearly two days - and that's with phone use, browsing, email, playing games, and yes - listening to music.
    Pastor Tim Satryan
    Communicating the Good News!
    Visit my website - WILMINGTON first assembly of God

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-19-2008
    Posts
    1
    Ive been trying for months to get my tungsten W to hold songs and i dont know how. i have a SD card and its 2GB. i use this music search called 'sharebear ' to get my songs and they save them in my documents and so i go to palmOne quick install and i go to add files to get the songs out of the file and then i put then i click on them and they add to the exspansion card section and then i hotsync and when its all done, it says 'card not found' with a yeild sign next to the song name, even though the card is inserted, and on my palm pilot, in card info it says it reads it. Can some one please help me. i would very much appreciate it.

    thanks.
    Last edited by tungstenw12334; 01-19-2008 at 11:44 AM.

  14. #14
    Registered User My Mogul And I's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-20-2008
    Posts
    10
    I've never used like an iPod or MP3 Player or anything to play music, always have used my phone.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-21-2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,216
    you need an adapter for a headset on the treo/centro. So that part's a pain. I don't even want to hear BT headset arguments (more battery charging issues, far from ideal for working out (like IEM's), plus cost for something for part time use only). Sound quality isn't as good as majority of standalones.

    But if I'm working out during the day and need my phone on me, I use it as an mp3 player. I keep the adapter with me just in case I need a player in a pinch as well. But it's far from an every day use. Still too big and bulky compared to most flash players on the market.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

  16. #16
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by tungstenw12334 View Post
    Ive been trying for months to get my tungsten W to hold songs and i dont know how. i have a SD card and its 2GB. i use this music search called 'sharebear ' to get my songs and they save them in my documents and so i go to palmOne quick install and i go to add files to get the songs out of the file and then i put then i click on them and they add to the exspansion card section and then i hotsync and when its all done, it says 'card not found' with a yeild sign next to the song name, even though the card is inserted, and on my palm pilot, in card info it says it reads it. Can some one please help me. i would very much appreciate it.

    thanks.

    Does your Tungsten W have have PocketTunes loaded on it? I don't think you can play songs without having this or some other music player software loaded on it.

  17. #17
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    you need an adapter for a headset on the treo/centro. So that part's a pain. I don't even want to hear BT headset arguments (more battery charging issues, far from ideal for working out (like IEM's), plus cost for something for part time use only). Sound quality isn't as good as majority of standalones.

    But if I'm working out during the day and need my phone on me, I use it as an mp3 player. I keep the adapter with me just in case I need a player in a pinch as well. But it's far from an every day use. Still too big and bulky compared to most flash players on the market.
    I am all over this website and others complaining about this very issue. Don't even get me started! Just when SD cards get enough memory and phones get the right software to make them great music/media players, the manufacturers start nixing analog (2.5 or 3.5 mm plugs). It drives me crazy! There is only one Windows Mobile Standard 6.0 device on the market with an analog audio jack (Motorola Q9M/C) which means you cannot charge your phone and use wired headsets at the same time without an adaptor. And, these adaptors produce horrible feedback if they are jossled which can be particularly annoying/dangerous in a car for instance. Plus, if you don't use the adaptor, you must use prioprietary headphones/handsfree sets.

    Bluetooth is not a good substitute because, for one thing, this drains your battery even more, and for another saddles you with yet another thing to charge! And, the sound quality is still not as good nor is the connectivity as ubiquitus as with analog connectors and adaptors. Hopefully, this is just a phase and manufactures will see the error in their ways. I have certainly done my part in helping them along.

  18. #18
    Registered User jpmihalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-09-2004
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
    I am all over this website and others complaining about this very issue. Don't even get me started! Just when SD cards get enough memory and phones get the right software to make them great music/media players, the manufacturers start nixing analog (2.5 or 3.5 mm plugs). It drives me crazy! There is only one Windows Mobile Standard 6.0 device on the market with an analog audio jack (Motorola Q9M/C) which means you cannot charge your phone and use wired headsets at the same time without an adaptor. And, these adaptors produce horrible feedback if they are jossled which can be particularly annoying/dangerous in a car for instance. Plus, if you don't use the adaptor, you must use prioprietary headphones/handsfree sets.

    Bluetooth is not a good substitute because, for one thing, this drains your battery even more, and for another saddles you with yet another thing to charge! And, the sound quality is still not as good nor is the connectivity as ubiquitus as with analog connectors and adaptors. Hopefully, this is just a phase and manufactures will see the error in their ways. I have certainly done my part in helping them along.
    Amen, sister! Well said.
    John

  19. #19
    Registered User Lil_Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-13-2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
    Amen, sister! Well said.
    LOL, thanks. I feel better now that I got that rant off my chest.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-19-2008
    Location
    Lewiston, CA
    Posts
    1
    I use a Motorola bluetooth stsreo headset and love the quality from my pda phone!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts