+ Reply to Thread

Sprint said I'm qualified for any new phone..."if"

called sprint tech recently to get my MSL #. tech guy said i'm qualified to get any new phone for free if i would renew my contract (i'm assuming for another 2 years) even though i had just renewed it 2 months ago. he said there wasn't an expiration date on the offer. did anyone get the same schpiel? if so, are you waiting for the instinct to roll around in june to claim the offer, assuming it's any good (or is this a forbidden topic for the htc touch forum)?

you are most likely out of contract, that's why you can claim it anytime for it.

The Instinct is a dumbphone, that's catered more toward media-centric teens and twenties crowd.

--James

Could just be that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing and that the guy you talked to didn't know that you had just renewed 2 months ago. Did you mention to him that you just renewed? If so, what phone did you get when you renewed?

I'd be very surprised if they'd give you ANY phone for free, sounds really desperate! In your case, Sprint won't win anything since you just renewed, why would they throw a new phone your way for free?

But....funnier things have happened, as an example.... yesterday I left my business phone at a customers house, once I realized it, I turned around and went back to pick it up, however they were gone for the day. Since I need my phone, I called sprint to tell them to switch the number over to my old A900. After being transferred once, I got disconnected and had to call back. On the second try, the third person was the correct one to handle my situation, and after telling him my number, the first thing he said that my phone was cancelled. Well that's funny, coz it works...and so does the other phone and the two wireless cards that are also on that account. Then the guy figured out that he was looking at the wrong version of their billing system, and he finally found me and helped me activate my other phone.

Long story short, what one guy says doesn't mean it's necessarily true. Sure, call them up on their offer eventhough I really don't know what phone you'd rather get than the touch ... but I am biased! Unless you could get another Touch, keep yours, and sell the new one!

Manu I don't know about that because my wife has the Mogul and she lost it. She called Sprint for a replacement it took a week to come, when it did it did not work so she called back for another phone. When she finally received the phone two weeks had past and I told her to call Sprint for a credit seeing that she went halve the month with no phone. The first representative said there was nothing he could do. I insisted she ask for a sup and he gave her free texting and free internet service. I didn't believe it we called back and a different person confirmed the service and we even went online to check and she do have the free service. We have had plenty of luck with Sprint they swapped out my 6700 for the Touch back in December.

don't get me wrong, i had very good luck with sprint too which is why i am still with them after ten years, but i also had some promises made to me like a fee third line that landed up not being free and which was a headache to get rid off. the deal offered to him just doesn't make any sense to me since sprint is usually very strict about your eligibility to upgrade to a new phone with a discount and a two year agreement

yes, i did tell the tech guy that i had just renewed my contract 2 months ago and he said it didn't matter. he told me that i could get ANY NEW PHONE for FREE if i would renew my contract for another 2 yrs. i have a touch and my wife has a rumor, so he even suggested that i could upgrade my wife's phone for free. i told him that i'd called them back when he told me that the offer did not have an expiration on it.

i wonder if they had initially thought that i didn't like the touch b/c when i'd fisrt talked to a rep, i'd asked for my msl # and he'd asked me if i was thinking of reprogramming the phone. after giving me the msl #, he transferred me to a tech guy (just in case) and that's when i was told about the offer.

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    It seems like renewing your contract doesn't always get into the database correctly. It happened to me when I upgraded my stepson's phone to a Chocolate. By my reckoning he should have had about ten more months on his contract, but the database said he was eligible to upgrade.

The only real way to tell is to either call CS and ask them your contract date, or ask someone in the store who has access to the DB. The flip side of that is if the DB says your contract is newer than you think you may have difficulty getting it corrected, and you’d better have the paperwork to back up your claim.
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

The phone upgrade and contract date may or may not have anything to do with each other. If you renewed your contract to get a retention offer, etc., then the contract date will be reset but that won't affect your ability to upgrade at a discount. The phone upgrade is based on the last time you got a phone discount - and if you haven't extended your contract for a retention offer then the two dates would be the same. - sheurkea
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.