+ Reply to Thread
    I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar

How do you spell WiMax?

I spell it "Sprint!!!" and ClearWire!!!

End of the year huh?

I wonder what the EV-DO Rev A/WiMax/tetherable smart phone will look like??
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

You spell WiMax exactly how you spell it. I honestly don't see any feasible WiMax handset being made by Sprint. Mostly would benefit data cards.

--James

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    You spell WiMax exactly how you spell it. I honestly don't see any feasible WiMax handset being made by Sprint. Mostly would benefit data cards.

--James
    ClearWire already has data cards, they don't need Sprint for that.
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

data cards for Sprint. Sure, there may be clearwire branded ones, but there surely will be sprint-branded ones as well. Doesn't mean you can't make any just because an "affiliate" has them already.

--James

Administrator
    sprint is already working on a WiMax handset and has been for several months... they have been testing WiMax since atleast last year.

sprint have tons of money in WiMax...

Which is a reason you should be very suspect of WiMAX's long term prospects. When was the last time Sprint backed a winner?

Administrator
    sprint is not the only hat in the ring...there are other companies that are building on WiMax... from what i have seen, WiMax is going to happen...

There's no question it's going to happen. The question is - will it stick around long term? The mobile version has thus far failed to deliver on range and/or bandwidth. That might be ironed out with time, but since the overwhelming majority of the world's users are on GSM-based devices, it's very likely that WiMAX will get "squeezed" when 4G services based on LTE are released.

This is sort of like the CDMA vs. GSM debate - with several billion subscribers for the latter vs. several hundred million for the former, which would you bet on? Unless WiMAX really outperforms competing solutions, it's likely to die the slow death that CDMA died.

Administrator
    thats possible, as LTE does show some really good specs on paper, but in the end the consumer wont dictate what will win--its going to be these companies who have friends in the highest places and who have the most "clout".

me thinks WiMax will mature in time enough for it to be a serious contender to the ongoing evloution we all know as mobile technology.

NOW i am not a WiMAx fan boy and i am not trying to defend it--i am gender neutral when it comes to cellular networks--all i know is i enjoy sprints service and i will embrace whatever technology they go with--as long as they give me the data throughput i need im happy. so bring on 4G or WiMax.. hell i was happy with TDMA for years!!!!!! i thought i had it going on with my IBM Simon mobile phone with the slower than dial-up speeds on the ATT network. Hey i could fax on that thing. ahh those were the days....

[QUOTE=Marctronixx;738682]thats possible, as LTE does show some really good specs on paper, but in the end the consumer wont dictate what will win--its going to be these companies who have friends in the highest places and who have the most "clout".[/q]

Except that the market's proved that wrong. The companies are converting to GSM because that's where the consumers wanted them to go. The demand for devices drove that. Verizon was faced with having to continue to heavily subsidize handsets, while other carriers are moving towards reduced bonuses and freer handsets. In Europe, they don't discount the phones at all. Expect the American market to start moving that way fairly rapidly.

[q]me thinks WiMax will mature in time enough for it to be a serious contender to the ongoing evloution we all know as mobile technology. [/q]

That could be, but the analyst crew is heavily divided. And the ones I respect are very much on the "Mobile WiMAX is going nowhere." Simple math makes it questionable - why produce a phone with two radios when one can do?

I'm not accusing anyone of being a fan boy, just pointing out that there's a better than reasonable chance mobile WiMAX goes nowhere. And with only Sprint making any major push in that arena (the other players are largely on the fixed side), it's unlikely to gain a great deal of traction in the US.

Administrator
    again perf, you are preaching to the choir. at the end of the day im going to use whatever Sprint uses. if they only adopt WiMax (with my same or better data speeds) and everyone else goes a different way, i will still stick with Sprint.. thats my only point here.

everything you and i have been discussing is easily read on the internet so the only thing you and i are doing is repeating things we have read/been told about + our opinion. again, you and i dont have any power over what these companies do.. i firm believe that. so bilions of users have GSM handsets so that means thats what they want? not neccessarily true. the end user will use whatever their carrier of choice uses. i dont see people saying "well i prefer GSM over CDMA..." i hear people say "man i want my phone to do this or that and be able to be used when i go overseas..." if WiMax could do what GSM could do, the end user would not care. they will flock to wherever they can get the most bang for the buck. with the economy in the current state, cellular handsets have seen a decline in sales after seeing growth year after year so i would just wait out this year and see what comes up from the dust.

blah blah blah.. i can go on and on about this stuff as i enjoy to talk about this but in the end im no expert or an analyst so i dont know whats going to happen. all i know is I want my MTV! (oops sorry i digress..) lol what im saying is, i want my speeds that im accustomed to from Sprint and i want them to get faster over time. whatever scheme they use--is fine by me. if WiMax dies, so be it. i could care less. if Sprint dies, THEN im in trouble....