+ Reply to Thread

Ending Phone Call When Using Bluetooth/Audi A3

First, confession is good for the soul I am told so here goes. I do not have a PDA but that decision is not far off. However, the new hands free cellphone laws in Washington and California where I spend most of my time have prompted me to activate Bluetooth in our Audi A3 with our Motorola E815 phone with Verizon. Everything is working like a charm now that I have added a few names and numbers to the Bluetooth addresss book. However, while I can place and receive calls using voice activation, I have been unable to decipher how to end a call without turning off the Audi engine. At the moment I have to wait for the person at the other end to hang up, which is a bummer if you get thrown into the person's voicemail.

The folks on this Forum seem to have a wealth of practical knowledge so I thought I would take a chance and pose the question.

Thumbs down Ditto

I'm amazed that autos like the Audi A3 with several hundred dollar add-ons like "bluetooth integration" are so poorly documented, supported and functioning. I should really learn better! Aftermarket is almost always better in these cases and usually installed by someone who knows how to use the damn thing.

That said, besides the "documentation" provided by audi that says the system can "make calls, end calls, blah blah blah", they make no effort to describe exactly how one would "end a call" or use most of the other features depending on the state of the call (pre-call, in-call, etc) and there's no documentation online anywhere to be found anywhere. Good job designing a half-working system, providing no support for it and scraping the entire internet of any documentation on it! Kudos Audi!

I have tried pushing the speak button again while in a call or the mode button, but those are just ignored. You have to dig your phone out and press the end key. Isn't the point of hands-free not having to use your hands to operate the device?

Thanks Audi for another instantly obsolete, horribly supported, badly documented e-toy for the interior!

On the flip side, the car is lots of fun to drive. Too bad Audi doesn't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to cabin creature comforts.
    Last edited by djmm; 07-21-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgm1714 View Post
    First, confession is good for the soul I am told so here goes. I do not have a PDA but that decision is not far off. However, the new hands free cellphone laws in Washington and California where I spend most of my time have prompted me to activate Bluetooth in our Audi A3 with our Motorola E815 phone with Verizon. Everything is working like a charm now that I have added a few names and numbers to the Bluetooth addresss book. However, while I can place and receive calls using voice activation, I have been unable to decipher how to end a call without turning off the Audi engine. At the moment I have to wait for the person at the other end to hang up, which is a bummer if you get thrown into the person's voicemail.

The folks on this Forum seem to have a wealth of practical knowledge so I thought I would take a chance and pose the question.
    On my A3, I have a multifunction steering wheel. On the left there is a rotary button and a "mode" button. When the mode is set so my phone directory is listed I can end a call be pressing (not rotating) the rotary button. This button can also be used to dial from the phonebook by depressing it when you have selected your desired number.