+ Reply to Thread

Stickies, there's no point.

I really hate to say this and make this thread, but I'm seeing a lot of users leave responses like "Read the stickies, you'll find the information there."

While there are tons of useful posts in the stickies, it takes reading through 5-6 pages to get the most out of the thread. This is not a big deal if you have been following the thread's development, but it's a big deal if you need to find something, find a post about it, but it has 10 pages. Most people don't have an hour or two to read through everything, and check through dead links, and try dead end fixes that may or may not work.

I agree, that it an be annoying when people claim they searched and it's obvious they didn't (or that they searched for something completely unrelated to the topic at hand). I have told a couple people to read the FAQ or search, however the stickies regarding 6.1 are FAR too spread out to be useful at this point.

At the very least, I propose someone goes through the stickies, makes a post (that will be stickied and locked), and summarizes everything in the thread.

For example, the thread pertaining to new and old bugs. The one of the first posts says Skype doesn't work. So the first post should be edited to have a report that Skype doesn't work, the symptoms, and a fix (link to the new cab). This way, the stickies actually have value, rather than a thread with a bunch of such that is searchable, that might turn up useful information and might not.

Anyway, that's all for now, just my two sense (I know, it's supposed to be cents ).

Oh, and I'd be willing to go through one of the stickies and summarize it if requested, which I may just do tomorrow to make an example.

I use several different forums every day for various things. Boats, my truck, a couple for my plane, etc. This is the only one where the group is so anal about reading the stupid stickies or to do a search. The vast majority of boards this never comes up. Ever. There's no reason whatsoever that I shouldn't come on here with whatever problem I may have, make a post and get an answer in about 30 minutes. In every other forum this happens and I can't tell you the number of times I look at a new post like that from somebody and go "hey, that's cool, let me try that." But not here. There's a tremendous amount of info on this site already but you're kidding yourself if you think I'm going to sit and search 1000 pages of drivel to find a nugget or two.
    But what do we get here instead? Hey, did you do a search? Because god forbid somebody does a search and gets more than one thread relating to his topic.

The reason we ask people to search before posting a question is to try to avoid multiple threads on the same subject, which makes it difficult to find answers.

The FAQs sticky is always a good place to start. I'll confess that I have not been the best at keeping it updated, but I'll do what I can. We've had a bunch of moderators either jump ship to a different device or disappear. Thus, right now, I'm the only mod (I think) who regularly tries to keep this particular forum in order. However, like all the other mods here, I'm a volunteer and have a day job and family that keep me busy.

If you think something should be added to the FAQs, just shoot me a PM with a link to the post or thread. It might take me a day or two to respond, but I will get to it.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Totally agree with you EtherBoo about the anal comments from members answering a help thread with the first line challenging the poster's "sticky-reading" or "search button" integrity.

It's like the parent playing the "you-should-know-better-but-I'll-help-you-this-time" card.

As if you're doing me a favor because I'm too stupid or too busy to read through miles of threads or stickies for one simple answer.

Don't do me a favor because you think I'm dumb and you're smart. Help me with my problem with genuine kindness and the assumption that I've exhausted all other options and am seeking your wisdom. Or don't help at all.

All that being said, if I can get over the reflex irritation that occurs every time I read a member's introduction of "Use the search function.." when answering a post, I get some fantastic, useful information on these boards. It's just gotten to the point where everyone's so scared of asking a question that shows their inexperience with the device or format that they must precede each inquiry with "I've searched....I've read the stickies...".

Give us a break and don't take it sooo seriously. If you're going to be a jerk about it don't post a comment; someone cool will show up eventually.

Don't look at every new help thread as a chance to browbeat the poster back to oblivion for wanting to tap into your infinite wisdom. Everyone isn't as proficient as all of you stud muffins here on the board. Maybe we could all be a little more welcoming.

Then it wouldn't seem like December everyday.

Thanks,
    Josh

I'm also against forum nazis who love to say "oh, go search, you idiot" or "go look at the 102312 pages of FAQs". If search was more powerful then i could see that... but the search function on most forums is pretty pathetic (compared to google or whatever).
    also, in my short time on here, there's a few people on this forum that pull the "go search" comment on new threads and there ends up being a couple of pages very good conversation about the original topic after his/her post.

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    The reason we ask people to search before posting a question is to try to avoid multiple threads on the same subject, which makes it difficult to find answers.

The FAQs sticky is always a good place to start. I'll confess that I have not been the best at keeping it updated, but I'll do what I can. We've had a bunch of moderators either jump ship to a different device or disappear. Thus, right now, I'm the only mod (I think) who regularly tries to keep this particular forum in order. However, like all the other mods here, I'm a volunteer and have a day job and family that keep me busy.

If you think something should be added to the FAQs, just shoot me a PM with a link to the post or thread. It might take me a day or two to respond, but I will get to it.

I know why the nazis say it. I stated that in my post. But it is a uniquie trait to geekdom. Nowhere else where I use forums does this happen. Plus so what if there's a dozen threads all with the same question, asked and answered? Will they not all come up when I do a search? What's the benefit to having this utopia of one search result come up to any particular question?

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post

I agree, the FAQs are a great place to start, and the three threads highlighted in red are done very well. In fact, I can say I read both FAQs when I got my phone (there were only 2 at the time).

From there, we have the stickies, and this is where all hell starts to break loose. Now, if you go to Howard Forums, some of the stickies are pretty useful. When I had a RAZR V3C, Mark_Venture wrote a ton of useful stuff, including many guides indicating how to get ringtones on the RAZR, and how to do a bunch of other stuff, and the rest of the post was mostly replies that had some decent information, but nothing that wasn't clearly outlined in the first post. Here, the last 3 stickies are probably the only really useful ones, with one of them being double stickied (as a FAQ and Sticky). The rest of them are so spread out, they lose their usefulness, and thats where the problem lies.

I'm just saying, I think people should lighten up about expecting others to browse through 10-15 pages of stickies before making a post unless they want to go ahead and rewrite them with the most relevant information in the first couple of pages.

As for searching, I don't see as much of a problem with encouraging searching, as long as it's done respectfully and constructively.

That's all, more than anything, I just think the stickies need to be refined.

I have also touched on this subject before. A forum is suppose to be about asking/answering questions and learning more about something that you are interested in, not being a e-thug and laying down the search law. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand, but life isn't always perfect and if a question is asked multiple times, so be it. Once the OP's question is answered a mod can move/delete the thread so there aren't a hundred threads on the same topic.
    I want this website/forum to grow in popularity and members, not diminish because everyone is running away from the search dictators...

Word Shepherd
    Maybe it would help to move the "Read before posting" thread from the bottom of the stickied posts to the TOP, where the larger red links are, and also to update it or remove the October 2007 date.

Most of the stickied posts are too long and disorganized for average readers to find the specific information they are looking for. By insisting that visitors to this community search for answers themselves, we suggest that OUR time is more important than THEIR time, which, true or not, doesn't make for a welcoming community.

It would take less time for those of us who've been here for a while and have a vague notion of where to find specific content to search for it on a new visitor's behalf and post a response that includes a link to a specific thread -- as well as a reminder to use the search function for future inquiries. I think this approach would especially help visitors who find us through Google and other search engines, since right now the forum is littered with inquiries with no pertinent response other than an insistence on searching the forum for answers. Forums these days are not the walled gardens they were in the 90s. Users can interact with our content in many ways outside our control, so we need to find a new balance between enforcing forum protocol and accommodating those interested in our content.

Agreed, but I also concede that there is a tolerance. I just replied to a thread where a person asked where to get OperaMini, when 13 posts above his, in a 2 page thread, there was a link with a cab install that would install Jbed and OperaMini in 1 shot, as well as give an Opera Icon.

There has to be a threshold level of where we say search.

Well, I just noticed this was moved, I originally posted it in the Samsung SCH-i760 Forum. I just noticed a little quirk about our community over there, don't know how the rest of you guys are in your respective forums.

I agree and I'm guilty of it myself. I like sending out answers to people that need help, but I guess I feel obligated to point out where I got the information I am posting.

However, my main motivation is usually to let the poster know that while I'm about to give you the answer as I see it there is more information to be found on the subject so while I'm about to shoot you a link or some info it would behoove you to look into it a bit incase I'm completely confused.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Administrator
    moved to lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I agree and I'm guilty of it myself. I like sending out answers to people that need help, but I guess I feel obligated to point out where I got the information I am posting.

However, my main motivation is usually to let the poster know that while I'm about to give you the answer as I see it there is more information to be found on the subject so while I'm about to shoot you a link or some info it would behoove you to look into it a bit incase I'm completely confused.
    Which is fine, my gripe is with "Read the 8 page sticky on WM6.1 bugs to find your answer."

Why was this thread moved?

I felt like this thread had the potential to help our overzealous i760 counterparts rethink their position on persecuting us "morons" of the world.

Ahh well....

Do what I do, tell them to get over it. You don't like it then don't read it.