+ Reply to Thread

Wireless carriers to be grilled by Senate... redux

Here we go again.. its bubbled to the top of the heap once more and now the Senate is going to take a stab at it...Here's a link:

Senators Want To Grill Wireless Carriers, Manufacturers -- Wireless Business -- InformationWeek

Will this really result in us being able to use any phone on any service? Will this unlock us out of multi-year contracts?? Will it just screw up the current system even more...??!! I thought this would be worthy of some lounge discussion when I read the article.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I sure hope they open up the market so we can use the same device with multiple carriers. I suspect AT&T has picked up a number of subscribers (myself included) simply because AT&T is the only carrier that carries the iPhone, not because AT&T provides better service/coverage. As a result, AT&T has less incentive to improve its network and customer support than if the iPhone were available on other networks and AT&T had to compete for iPhone customers.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

yeah, There was a post in the User comments for the article that made me chuckle... to paraphrase: "This is all happening because Congress must have a deal with Verizon so the Senators can't get the gov to buy iPhones for them... " tee hee
    It would be great if if resulted in devices not being carrier specific... Not just the iPhone.. there are some great devices that come out in Euro and Asia that never see the light of day here because the carriers have such a lock on what they let on their networks...
    but here I am preaching to the choir!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    but here I am preaching to the choir!
    Mark
    Can I hear an "Amen" from the congregation?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)