+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tivo

Tivo

Trying to get a tivo reward and would love it if anyone who recently purchased the tivo wouldn't mind giving me credit for the referal. PM me if you've recently purchased.

Thanks,
    Jason

anyone? bump-
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

Administrator
    i would love to help but i have the HD comcast boxes with the dvrs in them...

thanks mac, i appreciate it. how do those boxes work, i think they'll eventually replace tivo/replay tv
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

I LOVE my 3 ReplayTV (5xxx) units, but also LOVE my Comcast (Motorola) 6412 dual tuner/dual harddrive Hi-def DVR/cablebox.

I might just marry them.

'nixx, have you gotten the 6412 yet? Or do you have the 6208?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I've got a high def DVR from Time Warner Cable, and it works quite well.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Administrator
    kito i have the 08 i believe (i have had it for most of the year). i did not know that model was out down here... i remember them (corporate) saying they were going to release these but i totaly forgot to followup .. perhaps ill call them tomorrow to see if i can get my hands on one...

'nixx,
    Yeah, you probably don't have the 6412 because those just launched around the U.S. in the past couple months.

But from what I read at "AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception: Atlanta, GA - Comcast"
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&pagenumber=17

Some folks in your area have it. If they use the same price structure in GA as in MN, it won't cost you more, as it is the same monthly rental fee as the 6208. You will probably just have to pay the service fee for them to come to your crib to switch out the boxes. Which is bull, because you and I could do it in our sleep, but in MN they require a service call.
    But believe me, for dual tuners (you can record two different shows and watch a third recorded show all at the same time) and larger harddrives, it's worth the one-time $15-$30 installation fee.
    Last edited by Markito; 12-13-2004 at 10:58 AM.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    kito thanks for the head up... i was going to drop by the DSL reports site but have not had a chance yet...

i will definitely call comcast... Comcast is generally standardized all over the country so I'm sure we have what you guys have and what California has... (although Cali can be behind most of the comcast footprint sometimes.... thats another story...)

i also have a panasonic DVD burner with is here in the studio. with DVD -ram discs..a couple of examples... i can watch a program, record a program at the same time... i can watch a program being recorded on disc... basically it acts like a tivo... this comes in handy because i don't have to tie up my ancient server burning my vids to DVD..

Converged Hundredaire Socialite njbair's Avatar
    They used to be called PVR's. Now all of a sudden the cable companies have dubbed them DVR's. What happened?
    -nickster

I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

Personal Video recorders, Digital Video Recorders, it's all the same. I suppose it sucked having two different abreviations for the same thing (and was confusing for newbies), so they all slowly began to use the same one.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    well just as DVD used to stand for Digital Video Disk..

now its Digital Versatile Disk... to not "limit" it only to video.

under the hood its all the same..

Just like "KFC" and "Kentucky Fried Chicken"!
    I don't think kids today even know that's what it stands for and always used to be.
    ...boy did I sound old just now.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    LOL

Administrator
    Originally posted by Markito
    'nixx,
    Yeah, you probably don't have the 6412 because those just launched around the U.S. in the past couple months.

But from what I read at "AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception: Atlanta, GA - Comcast"
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&pagenumber=17

Some folks in your area have it. If they use the same price structure in GA as in MN, it won't cost you more, as it is the same monthly rental fee as the 6208. You will probably just have to pay the service fee for them to come to your crib to switch out the boxes. Which is bull, because you and I could do it in our sleep, but in MN they require a service call.
    But believe me, for dual tuners (you can record two different shows and watch a third recorded show all at the same time) and larger harddrives, it's worth the one-time $15-$30 installation fee.
    yeah kito i got this baby last week. it is nice!!!! i have it in my studio right now and i dont have a HD monitor in there yet... maybe later this year ill get one///

anyway, man they give you a nice audio kit... optical cables, coax digital audio cable, component cables... gosh thats over 100 bux in that alone!

this unit is nice but i have not gotten the dual tuner to work... does it only work in HD modes (1080i, 720p, etc etc...)?

marc, make sure they gave you the proper remote (you need this to switch the tuners). you'll know you got the right remote (and not the one for the 6208 which is almost identical) because the button in the lower left-hand corner will have a second label on it called "swap," which is used to switch between the two tuners. both tuners work for all resolutions (480i/p, 720p 1080i, etc).

Administrator
    yeah i have the proper remote. i also have the 6208 in another room.

there are 4 small black buttons at the bottom for PIP... i have not played with the unit much since i have had it.. it coudl be a bad remote...

not that this helps, but i hate tv. the only reason we have comcast is for the highspeed internet. down w/TV!!!! its the devil!
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

prajna, you crack me up!

'nixx, I'm so glad that you got the 6412! The PIP is not enabled yet in most areas of the country (including mine).
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    a HA!!! so that explains it then...

the swap feature does work.. i was expecting something ont he screen to let me know it was on.. there is no notice of it.. just hit swap andit swaps...

ill defintaely get one for the fam room when we get the HD monitor.. i may go the projector route if i can find one that meets my level...

i just moved the single tuner dvr up top the bedroom...