+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying music

Buying music

I know this site isn't exactly the most appropriate forum for this, but you guys have probably dealt with this anyway...

I have never looked into it before, but I decided it might be fun to buy some music on-line to play on my Kyo MP3 player. $1 a song is reasonable, what the heck? Thing is, I can't really tell what the heck I'm actually buying. Like, what exactly is the deal with all this digital copyright stuff and all that? I just want to pay my $1, get an MP3 and be done with it.

I don't understand what constraints they are trying to impose with these weird formats, are they tied to the particular computer I downloaded with? I couldn't stand that. What happens if the computer crashes, or if I just want to play some songs at someone else's house?

I went to buy.com and downloaded a song, not knowing in advance what format it would actually come through in. Well, it comes through in WMA, which is exactly worthless for any hardware I own except my computer itself. I found some not-free utilities that might be able to convert WMA to MP3, but I'm not sure if these are special WMA's with some weird encryption or something.

I have a few questions. First, is there anyplace to legally buy and download MP3 files that I can play on my phone? I have three different MP3 players at this point, is it really the case that the only way to get music on these devices is to steal it or else buy a physical CD and rip to MP3? I guess I could buy the WMA, burn it to an audio CD and then rip it back, but how stupid is that?

Will a converter program work on downloaded WMA files, or are they set up to prevent this somehow? If they work, then why are these download sites jerking us around with these dumb formats?

And why are the music companies being so anal about on-line music anyway, when I can buy a physical CD and make no-strings MP3's anyway? God this is so annoying.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    I agree! Wal-Mart sells music for like eighty cents a song. I downloaded 5 songs for my Kyocera, only to find out they did not come in MP3 format. Very irritating - you can only play the songs with THEIR player.

I mean you could start up your windows media player, play the song through THEIR player and RECORD it on the media player then save it as an MP3 though...but what a hassle!

Geek
    All of MP3

Not sure of the legality of this, and I can't say I've actually tried it yet (although I'm thinking of signing up). From what I understand, it's a Russion site and is totally legal in Russia.

From what it looks like you can get it in any format (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc) and any sound quality (128, 392 etc.) This may be good if you're going to load it onto to the phone. You can get a little bit lower bitrate to take up less space.

It's like 2 cents per meg! You can't beat that. Download a whole album for less than a buck!

The only thing that's a little scary is you have to give them a credit card. Although I think they now accept PayPal - if that makes you feel any safer.

I plan on using my CitiBank card which will give me a one-time temporary card number only good for that purchase.

Hope this helps.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    Thanks for the link and info!

I posted a list of music sites a while back in, I think, the general topics forum.

As for the formatting, all of mp3 is good for getting plain old mp3's, but if you are buying off a service like buy.com or rhapsody, I would just burn them to a CD using the service and then rip them back to mp3 format so you can play them on your phone or mp3 player. You may even want to try burning them to a cd-rw disk so you can reuse the disk. If the service doesn't include burning to a cd as part of your rights, then I wouldn't use it.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

All of Mp3 is a good place to get MP3's. They do not have everything & it takes them a while to get the newest songs, but they are by far the cheapest!

And they give it to you w/o ANY restrictions as an MP3 file....one less step to get it on the 7135

TL

Administrator
    audacity will export a file as mp3 with the lame plugin..

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    audacity will export a file as mp3 with the lame plugin..
    What's audacity, a site or a program? audacity.com didn't look right.

Administrator
    its all over this forum if you search for audacity.

here is the link

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

its a simple program that can export a sound file to mp3 or wav or ogg. it needs a mp3 plugin from lame which is easily found on their site.

there are other programs out there im sure but this one is soo easy to use.

Converged Hundredaire Socialite njbair's Avatar
    I can transfer protected wma files onto my h6315 but the only way to do it is by "syncing" them through Media Player 10 on my XP machine. That still won't help you unless your device can handle .wma files though.
    -nickster

I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

Originally posted by njbair
    I can transfer protected wma files onto my h6315 but the only way to do it is by "syncing" them through Media Player 10 on my XP machine. That still won't help you unless your device can handle .wma files though.
    Another reason I am staying with WMP9 for now.
    John