+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator

FireFox aint bad.. at all...

finally gave FF a try tonight and thus far it has been to the website i frequent daily. plus the plug ins/extentions and GUI of this browser makes IE look ancient..

i know you guys are using FF too, so what are your comments on it?

Converged Hundredaire Socialite njbair's Avatar
    I've been using FF since 0.7 and I would never go back to IE. I use the developer tools all the time. In situations where I am on a strange computer and forced to use IE, the thing I miss most is tabbed browsing. My taskbar is usually crowded enough without 4 browser windows open.

I also like the small search bar. I always used the Google Toolbar plugin for IE, which effectively eliminated popups and allowed for quick searches, but FF has popup blocking built in, and I never needed all the advanced Google Toolbar features. The small size is a big benefit to me. Not to mention the ability to choose the search site to use.

One of my favorite extensions is the Gmail notifier. Finally, web-based mail makes sense.

I was thinking about how secure FF is, and that it probably has a lot to do with the fact that not many people use it. But now that it has become much more popular, I can see the possibility of it becoming a target for spammers. But then again, it's open-source and the Mozilla Foundation offers a bounty to anybody who discovers a security flaw. Is the potential value of exploiting that flaw more profitable than taking the money and running? I don't know, but I guess time will tell.
    -nickster

I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

Oh, and how could I forget about Adblock? I guess it's because it's so hands-off, and it works so well that I forget it's even there. That may be one of the best things about FF, is the ability to, as Ron Popeil would say, "set it and forget it."
    -nickster

Yes, I have been using it extensively and even use it at work (even though our "standard" is IE6.) There are some things it doesn't do well, but they mostly involve MS sites like MSN spaces and stuff like that.
    John

I'm always torn when I come across a site that only works in IE. To me, the words "best viewed in Internet Explorer" translate to "Our code is so jacked up that only the web-browser equivalent of a crackhead can render it legibly".

Many times I avoid further patronage to the offending site based solely on principle. I don't want to perpetuate the broken code epidemic by contributing to their hit counter.

I make web sites so maybe I take this stuff a little personally.
    -nickster

I've been using Firefox for quite a while. It's excellent!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Originally posted by njbair
    I'm always torn when I come across a site that only works in IE. To me, the words "best viewed in Internet Explorer" translate to "Our code is so jacked up that only the web-browser equivalent of a crackhead can render it legibly"...
    ...I make web sites so maybe I take this stuff a little personally.
    Same here....
    John

Administrator
    good discussion guys... yeah its very nice and clean looking. i have the ad block installed and a couple others installed.

i bought me a new desktop pc and it has XP installled. i have been using win2KPRO since it was introduced. XP has some nice features...

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I'm in the market for a new laptop, and when I do finally get one, Firefox is going to be the only browser I use on it!
    Michael

So far I really like it!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

was one of the original beta-testers !!!!...used it ever since...only using IE for windows update !!!!!!
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Could this start another browser war? In the meantime I'm lovin' it!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I've been using Firefox since January 2004 (I think ver. 0.7). I also started using Thunderbird as my mail client, and I would be using it as my Palm sync client but for some weird reason they only have five phone fields, and no way to adjust them. Firefox is so much more secure than IE that I can't imagine ever going back. A notable example of FF's superiority is that I haven't had a single outbreak of adware since I've started using it. The extensions and tab browsing are outstanding. I've got ForecastFox (now that I have a motorcycle I've started caring about the weather a lot more), Foxy Tunes (controls your mp3 player from a set of controls on the bottom of your browser so you don't have to switch windows), IE View (used for my bank's web site that doesn't work in FF), BugMeNot, and a bunch of others.

I have been evangelizing my more tech-friendly friends about FF for a while, but now that 1.0 is out I'm even worse. FF was part of my Christmas overhaul of my folks' PC, and I have also set it up for my brother and his wife.

One of the other nice side benefits of Firefox is that it is an effective ambassador for open source software. Most people don't have any experience with Linux, but just about everyone uses a browser. I know that once I started using Firefox, I have become a convert for OSS. Sourceforge.net is the first place I go now when I need new software.

And if this is a new browser war, MS isn't faring too well in the opening battles, as I think FF's market share is up to 25+% now (?).
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar

Fire fox problems

I used Fire Fox for only a short period of time...

It doesn't display my companies Outlook Web Access site properly. The Panes are all jacked.

Id like to like it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

it sounds interesting. maybe i will download it and see how it compares against Opera. i gave up on IE a while ago but Opera seems to already have all the features i see mentioned and then some. i also do not experience any websites that do not work, possibly because opera has a setting to identify itself as IE6.

the only shortcoming i have experienced with Opera is that it does not seem to support IRC links forwarding to mIRC. so i can not use web based IRC links (anybody know packetnews ).
    Peace out,
    dumwaldo

Does packetnews still work? I never had much luck with it. It only really ever found stuff that I could already find elsewhere (i.e. bittorrent, which is a lot easier than IRC.)

I don't pirate software anymore, but I heard that suprnova.org has been shut down and "the man" is cracking down on torrents in general. Can people still get free music and stuff or is it all iTunes now?
    -nickster

yes, packetnews is still running. yes, 'the man' is cracking down on torrent sites. yes, people can still get free music and stuff. no, itunes sucks.

on a side note, i did download firefox and i have been using it for the last day. it is a very nice browser and it seems to perform faster than opera but there are features of opera that outshine firefox.

after a week or so ill check back again and offer some more insight on a comparison of opera and firefox if anybody is interested.
    Peace out,
    dumwaldo

Administrator
    yeah let me know...

Like Firefox, but WindowsWasher does not seem to work with it; I would like to delete most but not all cookies, as I can do w/ WW on IE or Netscape.

Any ideas?

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I'm not sure how WindowWasher works, but I imagine that they'll need to release an update to make it support FF.

Since I make websites, I have like every browser ever on my computer. Opera is nice but I could never justify paying for a web browser. Also, I am aware of a few of the idiosyncracies of its rendering engine, as sometimes I have to change my code to look right in Opera. It's infinitely more secure than IE but I find Firefox to be the hands-down best.
    -nickster