+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: vonage

vonage

anyone use it? advantages/disadvantages? if you have used it, would you rate it, please (1-10 scale)?
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Haven't used it personally, but a buddy of mine who has cable tv, internet, and vonage lost all 3 while the cable was out!
    Jeremiah 29:11

i would expect it, but when cable is up and running, is it stable, quick, like a real phone? the price is unbeatable...
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    A friend of mine has Vonage. He called me from it, but I missed the call. When I tried to call him back about a half hour later, I had to try four times. On the first three attempts, I got a fast busy signal which means the network is busy. That doesn't give me a good feeling about it.
    Michael

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I've used Vonage for my business line and fax for about a year and its been pretty good. I have had probably 3 or 4 problems in a year... which I can live with. I've never had anyone say they couldn't reach me, and the price is great. The fax line is actually free (or was when I signed up) with a business line. The only downside is you use about 90Kbps of bandwidth from your broadband line for each connection.

As for losing everything when the power goes out, not as big of a deal these days since everyone has cellphones... so I don't worry about that as much as I used to.

We still do have a regular line for home though... but don't use it for anything but local calls.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I don't use Vonage myself, but I recently saw a story on the news about someone who had that "type" of phone system. When they called 911 during an emergency, the call wouldn't go through.
    Nicky

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    If anyone wants to sign up for it, let me know... I think I can get a free month for referring someone...
    Mike - Been Converged?

I've used Vonage for the past four or five months. It's been reliable for me and you can't beat the price. Even when my local phone company (BellSouth) calls me to try to get me back on their service, they say "That's a good deal."

Originally posted by nsanders
    I don't use Vonage myself, but I recently saw a story on the news about someone who had that "type" of phone system. When they called 911 during an emergency, the call wouldn't go through.
    Check out www.pocket8.net

They have E911 service for a lot of cities. Only problem is if you bring the unit with you when you travel and you dial 911 from your vacation home, your home information shows up.

I have been a vonage subscriber for about a year. There are good and bad things about it, but a lot of the "goods" outweigh the "bads."

I have never had a problem with call clarity whatsoever for either parties of the vonage line, no echoes. A great improvement over vonage is that you don't have to dial the 1+areacode+number as I used to have to do that within my first six weeks of Vonage. I don't have any experience with other voips, but if you have to do that believe me it is a pain and if you use a cordless caller id phone, you can't call the person back. In my opinion that was the greatest improvement for Vonage. Another great feature with any Voip is web access of phone records placed/received, this a great feature to see where all the calls are going. If you are using a VOIP line with family members the call transfer is indispensible.

I did have a problem that occured probably a three to four times last year. What happened is that when someone called it a message would say all circuits are busy. But if you would call back at the same second the phone call would go through. I never had that problem for this year.

If there is one thing that I really need to complain about Vonage is their customer service. They are not responsive by phone and there doesn't seem to be anybody who answers the phone. But the good news is that you may never need the support as it is really easy to set up and diagnose problems.

Overall Vonage is an excellent alternative to land line service. However keep in mind there are other voips available. When I was using Google to research the activation/termination fees, I found this informative chart: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/co...sonchart.html.

Even though voicepulse is slightly more in a month, it is worth considering the features especially for a business. Hopefully with FCC regulations and ISP Compliance VOIPS can continue to provide excellent service with an excellent price attached

Take out the period at the end of the html to go to the site:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/co...isonchart.html

I am considering Vonage due to a very nice $14.99 a month fee, but I also have TiVo, which has to dial in to the "mother ship" every night so I am concerned moving from a land line to voip. Does anyone here have TiVo or a similar DVR and have any issues with connection?

I use Vonage for 5 separate lines. All in all I think it saves me on the order of $500+ a month. The set up can be a pain, (you have to set up 911 dialing separately) especially when Verizon and the other Baby Bells are losing a couple thousand customers a month to it.

Down time has been minimal. I had a few problems with some of the lines about two months after they were set up. The initial set up with Vonage was not done correctly and when they did a reset of the network node that my numbers were on they went down and did not come back automaticly.

Sound quality is excellent, although, the single router concept forces you into wireless phones in the house. I have been considering moving the vonage router into my electrical cabinet where my old phone line enters the house and from which all my phone jacks originate from and splicing the router output. That should give me back all of my deskphones (I hope).

Originally posted by rbond83
    Take out the period at the end of the html to go to the site:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/co...isonchart.html
    I have read that some people do have a problem getting it to work with tivo.

I have been using it for a little over a week now and have been very impressed with it so far. I think the biggest thing about it though, is it can only be as reliable as your current ISP. Combine that with a couple problems a year from vonage and your reliability drops more. But from my experience, my ISP has gotten better over the years and outages are rare anymore.

Here is a site to check up on tivo and answer most questions you may have. Its a great site to read up and learn about everything it can and can't do.

http://www.vonage-forum.com
    Last edited by caimakale; 03-29-2005 at 07:30 PM.

okay, so we have begun the switch. if anyone is interested in doing as we have done, call the 800 number to make the switch. i clicked several times on the banner up above to try to make sure this site gets its cut, but if you sign up online, you pay the first month's service, activation fee, and shipping costs. the total charged up front would be $68.08 (if you take the 24.99 premium package). if you call their 800 number, they are running a special. first month is free, and activation fee is waived. total charged initially will be 9.95. after that, if you take the premium service, you would be charged $24.99/mth +sales tax and that's it!!!! for us, the total will be $27.24/mth!!!!!!! wow, oh wow. we will be saving some $20/mth doing this, and thats not including our long distance charges!

we are porting our number, so until that is completed, its still a trial period in my mind. when its completed, we will know!
    Last edited by Nephi; 03-29-2005 at 07:06 PM.
    Nephi

I messed up on the URL above, I have edited it for anyone who may have tried going there. Its all good now.

okay, just got the router. we are in the process of porting our home telephone number to the voip phone, and its not completed yet, but i will say that for the test calls we have done, no problems @ all. no "all curcuits busy now", no dropped calls, and crystal clear reception!!! its worth every penny!!! if anyone would like a free month and activation fee's waived, pm me and ill refer you!
    Nephi

final update: the porting of our number took just over 20 days to complete. it wasnt easy. i called vonage about this, complaining that we switched to them to save some money, and the length of time it took to port the number made it so we had to pay two phonebills over one month. they agreed, and credited back an entire month's worth of service! how about that for customer care.

the phone works great! i cant say enough about this. its truely worth it. the phone has a feature built into it so that if the router ever goes down, it will xfer all the calls to whatever number i suggest (my cellphone), so we will never miss a call. thanks for all the advertising, site admins...
    Nephi

Administrator
    id like to get on the vonage bandwagon (their commercials are annoying though...) but im curious..

dont all of the phones have to be in the same location as the router? this is a point thats been keeping me from taking the plunge...

sure you can have a cordless phone and take with you but id rather not have to resort to this if i dont have to...

Your phones can be in the same places they are now. I have my router in a closet and I ran one phone line into that closet. Once the router is connected to your house's phone wiring, you can use any existing phone jack. The instructions on the Vonage Web site are pretty good--have a look at them.