+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

My car is totalled

The night before our trip south for house hunting, my daughter decided to kill my Jeep Cherokee. I've never had a totalled car before... its so sad. I know its not a person, but I've always been into cars and seeing it sitting there, never to be driven again... is sad. It only had damage to the front end, but being only worth $5K, it was enough to call it totalled. Anyone else ever lose a car from the family?

By the way, my daughter only had a small burn on her hand from the airbag.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Man SUVs are a tricky thing. My buddy rolled his 4runner. It "looked" ok but the frame was twisted. So the tires wouldn't contact the road correctly.

My mom also rolled our VW Vanagon.
    That was ugly.

Luckily in both there were only minor injuries. Both were in Maryland though. (Coincidence?)(insert twilight zone music here)

Its good to hear no one was hurt.

By the by be careful down through MD and VA. They are really, really, really strict about speed and aggressive driving. They have speed, trafficlight, and aggressive driving cams all over the place. Not to mentioned unmarked, mustangs, camaros, and explorers, all different colors.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Thank goodness your daughter was safe! Sorry to hear about it--did you have to cancel your trip?

Losing anything that you have had for a while does create a sense of loss---sorry to hear it happened. I just bought a new car and turned in the old--and I agree, it was a little sad.
    Jeremiah 29:11

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Glad to hear everyone is alright.

I've personally dispatched many a family vehicle, the most spectacular was a slow roll onto the roof of my Datsun (Nissan) 280zx while the t-tops were out and skidding 200+ feet on said roof. I was picking asphalt out of my scalp for weeks. I'll try and upload the pictures if I can find them.

Mark

Originally posted by MEG
    Glad to hear everyone is alright.

I've personally dispatched many a family vehicle, the most spectacular was a slow roll onto the roof of my Datsun (Nissan) 280zx while the t-tops were out and skidding 200+ feet on said roof. I was picking asphalt out of my scalp for weeks. I'll try and upload the pictures if I can find them.

Mark
    Ouch!

Ivan,

I know all about the cops in VA/MD... I was born in VA and lived near the beltway for 5 years. The first time I ever drove into Maryland, I got a ticket within the first few miles... speed trap by Maryland's finest in the bushes on the beltway. I was headed to Bowie to do some speed skating. I used to be on a roller speed skating team in Bowie, and I lived in Manassas... so nearly every day after work I was driving up there at around 5pm... not fun.

mw,

We didn't cancel the trip. In fact, we were able to use the rental car for the trip instead of putting the miles on our new Odyssey. For an extra $10/day, they gave us a Chrysler Town and Country for those days.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I have a T&C, but I think we will be switching to the Sequoia soon. Good luck on the househunting trip. Hope you find the right home--don't forget, the yard is an important thing to look at. Too many people with kids forget about that...

Let me know if you need info about churches in the area.

Glad to hear you daughter is OK. That is always the most important thing.

I understand about being attached to vehicles. To me, they are part of the family I have three vehicles. The 1973 Pontiac was my first car ever, I've owned it over 21 years (I did not get it new for those trying to figure out my age) and it gets to live in the garage. I also pat its fender like it was some type of pet. Need I say more
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

i have two totalled cars stories. when i was 18, i had a brand new, 1995 pontiac grand am. it was hunter green, had a moon roof, and was a two toned interior. i was driving home from work one day, and had just purchased a laptop. it was in the back seat. i was about to turn left onto my street, and i thought i heard the laptop shift in the backseat, so as i turned, i look back @ the laptop. well, a buddy of mine was going the opposite way on the street, and *BAM*! we collided.

i remember having enough time to think, "pop?" because of the airbag going off. it was like hearing someone pop open a bottle of champaign. i was fine, though i was coated in battery acid. as for my two buddies, they were both taken to the hospital, released later on that day. his friend ate the windshield. my buddy ate the stearing wheel. neither were wearing their safety belts.

as for the other "totalled car" story, it was my wife. she was driving a very nice, black four door honda accord, 1995 (wierd, eh)? she was driving on a parkway here in nashville, and didnt realize that there were stoplights on the parkway. she crested a hill, only to see traffic totally stopped in front of here. w/a barrier wall to her left, and a car to her right, she had to run into the car. that car ran into the car in front of it. nobody hurt, but this car we only had for a few months was totalled, w/o collision, either.

i am very thankful that no one was hurt in that accident. both my children were w/my wife when it occured. but i can very much understand that feeling. that feeling that you will never see this car run again; that feeling that something died. my thoughts are with you, and i hope you find peace and something better down the road.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Originally posted by mwfielder
    I have a T&C, but I think we will be switching to the Sequoia soon. Good luck on the househunting trip. Hope you find the right home--don't forget, the yard is an important thing to look at. Too many people with kids forget about that...

Let me know if you need info about churches in the area.
    Yards... when they put 2500 square foot houses on less than 0.1 acres... its hard to call it a yard.

Seriously, we are still looking and praying.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    By the by be careful down through MD and VA. They are really, really, really strict about speed and aggressive driving. They have speed, trafficlight, and aggressive driving cams all over the place. Not to mentioned unmarked, mustangs, camaros, and explorers, all different colors.
    when i was 21 or so, a buddy and i went on "phish tour". one of the shows was in va beach. well, on the way out, we were in the inevitable traffic jam. it happens when you have 20,000 people following a music group around. so the guy in my car decided to get out and walk up the highway a bit to see some friends in a car ahead (there were several people doing this). whops! there was an unmarked car a few cars back from us. he pulls us over, and gives him a ticket for walking on the interstate. he threatens to give me a ticket, but alas, he did not.... my buddy wipped his butt w/the ticket @ the next stop, and he never went back to VA again.
    Last edited by Nephi; 03-20-2005 at 09:35 PM.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Originally posted by mwfielder
    Ouch!
    That was in my crazy, hazy days before I became an upstanding, converged citizen of society. I have been accident free for years and am now the proud owner of a 2004 Audi A4 (mine), 2003 Nissan Pathfinder (wife's), 1998 BMW Z3 (mine all mine, ok my I'm keeping it for my 10 month old son) and a 1995 GMC sierra 3/4 ton with a Fisher plow for houshold chores, (600 ft driveway)

All are dent free, well except the fender bender on some ice with the wife's Nissan, oh and I bang the pickup in the yard sometimes, but they don't count! Do they?!?!?!?!

Mark

I had an old Cadillac Cimarron that was totaled. It ended up being with some hispanic that I don't think spoke a word of English. He pulled right in front of my vehicle without stopping at a stop sign on the sign of the road.

What suprised me was that how well my vehicle held up in the accident and his vehicle was some kind of volvo station wagon that got plowed hard.

As it wasn't bad enough that the guy couldn't speak English, I found out three days the later that the insurance for the car (which was owned by someone else,) expired midnight the day before.

Space For Rent $20.00 a month
    I had a Oldsmobile desel (spelling) wagon that I bought just for the motor. The motor block is used for making a strong gas street motor.
    I was making a left hand turn at a small intersection (Saturday night @ 2:00AM) and a drunk guy in a SUV runs a Red light. Every one was ok. The right front of my wagon was tweeked. Passangers door was pushed to the center of the wagon.
    I only paid $500 for it, and I got $1500.00 for it. They said I could keep it to. But I was not going to wast a lot of time removeing a motor that might be cracked from such a large impact.

I've had two totaled cars. My sister was driving my camaro when she was basically run over by an idiot in an SUV who didn't look before changing lanes. No one was hurt and the funny parts is this was a big guy in a large SUV and he was afraid to get out of the car until the cops showed up. My sister was like 5'5' and 105 lbs at the time.

After college I bought a Jeep Wrangler. That was a great little truck. Still miss it to this day. Well I was coming home from work late and running on fumes, so I hopped off the highway and was heading northbound in the far right lane on a four lane street. Everyone else seemed to be in the lane to my left and I'm coming to an intersection as the light turns green. This guy driving southbound, looking to make the left on to the highway, decides he can beat me and guns it. He didn't. He caught my left front tire and rolled under my drivers side door sill. My Wrangler was popped up inthe air and spun off the road, bouncing off a streetlight pole. I remeber see this guy get out of his car and start running down the street. Fortunately for me, this couple accross the intersection was just leaving diner. The woman was a EMT and came running accross the street to make sure I was OK while heer boyfriend, an off duty cop, chased down the moron. The guy caught me right and broke my front leafspring, pushing the front driveshaft back and breaking snapping the transfercase in to two. I was fine other than a tweaked back. The guy that hit me did not have insureance, so I was kind of glad that he smashed his windshield with his face. I loved that Wrangler and the worst thing was in was running strong and completely payed off.

I love my Wrangler! '99, Forest Green, soft top... yeah, baby!

Convergent, glad everyone is OK...

The only car I ever had totalled was my 81 Mustang GT. It happened in a parking lot, of all things... I was turning left into a parking row and there was a stop sign on the other side... this car (little Italian import) came screaming through the stop sign and hit me at about a 45 degree angle at the passenger door hinge doing about 40 or 50. The impact pushed the 'stang sideways about 10 feet into the curb and the collision snapped the frame on both sides. My passenger seat was thrown sideways and into the back seat, right behind me. I was wearing a seat belt and got out and walked away from the car. The girl who hit me put her face through the windshield. The engine of her Fiat was on the ground. She was apparently late for a court appearance for writing bad checks (as I later found out when her parents tried to sue me and all of the dirt got brought out.) Fortunately, there was a cop in the parking lot who witnessed the whole thing and I was cleared.

Just this past Friday on my way home from work, I was on a 4 lane road that merges down to two and this dude next to me (in a fancy Lexus) sped up and ran me off the road into the dirt. Fortunately, my Wrangler is accustomed to such behavior (not at 40 mph, but hey) and I was able to maintain control and get back on the road. The guy apparently didn't want to allow any merges into his lane and was going to be a sacrifice if I hit him. That scared the crap out of me and made me a little more than angry but the incident is behind me now. It does seem that there is more aggravation on the roads today than ever before. I don't understand the behavior of people behind the wheel who don't realize that they are in charge of a deadly weapon. Now that I am teaching my daughter how to drive, I am emphasizing the point that most people take driving for granted and that some even see it as a means of expressing themselves. Be careful!
    John

Happy to note that your daughter is OK...cars can always be replaced. Just make sure that she has some support from you so that she is comfortable driving again. As I have seen many times young women get so scared to drive anymore after thier first incident and to top it they feel that they have let their parents down. I do counselling work at the local community center for accident victims and this is the topic with the hot button....just be there for her and let her know that it is OK to have a few scrapes in cars as some are unavoidable. Just emphasize the fact of staying within posted speed limits.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

equus,

Actually, getting back in the seat to drive isn't a problem for her. She had an accident in the same car about 3 months ago and it was nearly totalled then. That one totally wasn't her fault. An older lady pulled into her while she was going down the road. A witness stopped and verified that the other driver was totally at fault. So, she's had a rocky start to her driving... but I do know what you mean. I was with her driving for a few hours in the snow one Saturday and she hit some ice and did about 3 360s down the middle of a street and didn't hit anything. I saw what she did, and that day worked with her to help her change the way she was braking. If I hadn't been with her, she might have never known what she was doing wrong, and become afraid to drive in the snow. This last one was either black ice, or she hit the wrong pedal, or she just wasn't paying attention to what she was doing... we'll never know for sure, and I'm not going to push her on it. She seems to be comfortable driving still... and we did let her drive our new Odyssey alone a couple of days after it happened... so she knows we are still confident in her.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Re: My car is totalled

Originally posted by Convergent
    The night before our trip south for house hunting, my daughter decided to kill my Jeep Cherokee. I've never had a totalled car before... its so sad. I know its not a person, but I've always been into cars and seeing it sitting there, never to be driven again... is sad. It only had damage to the front end, but being only worth $5K, it was enough to call it totalled. Anyone else ever lose a car from the family?

By the way, my daughter only had a small burn on her hand from the airbag.
    Well, I totalled my parent's first brand new car (it wasn't new when I totalled it... it was a '72 Chevy Nova and I totalled it in '86). I was doing donuts in the parking lot of a Putt-Putt (on a rainy night), and on one of them I ran right into a brick wall. Nobody was really hurt. You can still see where they had to replace a section of the parking garage that I ran into. Yeah... I got into LOTS of trouble

I'm glad your daughter is ok Mike
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

lol... that's funny Robert. I can see you doing that. If you had bought a G1000, I would have figured it through you off balance when you put it in your T-shirt pocket, and that was the cause... but you didn't.
    Mike - Been Converged?