+ Reply to Thread
    Pretty Darn Adorable kevinandamanda's Avatar

Question Viruses on a CD?

I've got a CD with a lot of my childhood pictures on it, but it's got a ton of viruses on it. When I scan it with Norton, it says there are 12. But I cant quarantine or delete them because they're on a CD...

Is it safe to open just the pictures from the CD as long as I don't open the viruses? (Norton tells me the names of them...) Would it be safe to save some to my computer or edit them in an photo editing program? Would it be safe to upload the pictures to an online photo developping site to have some printed?

Thanks so much for your help

Amanda, more than likely you can take the pictures off of the CD and since you have an antivirus program with hopefully the updates installed it is less like for a virus to spread onto the hardrive

What I would recommend to do is go to my computer>Cdrom. Since all you want is pictures to be taken off of the cd sort the files on the cd by file type (do this by right clicking inside the folder and arrange icons> By Type. Then select all the pictures and right click on them and tell them to scan with Noron Antivirus

Basically what happens is that only the pictures are scanned. Then Copy the pictures from the Cd-rom to the hard drive. Burn a new cd with the pictures and throw the old cd away to prevent any possible future virus attacks.

If you have any questions, feel free to post a reply.

Space For Rent $20.00 a month
    I would email the pictures to myself, then scan them for the viruses.
    That way, they would not have to be on the hard drive first.

Converged Hundredaire Socialite njbair's Avatar
    That's a good idea. Yahoo mail offers free virus scanning. (Although I'm not sure if it would even let the pictures through if they were infected).
    -nickster

I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

Pretty Darn Adorable kevinandamanda's Avatar
    Thanks so much for your help you guys! You're the best