+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

another PC problem...

ok, to keep this short,after i cancelled a program from installing completely, each time when i reboot my pc, it wants to start installing "photo gallery", i think this comes from when i halted a program from installing all the way. it gives me a location to where the file should be (something like c:\temp\HP\Webrelease\) but the file is obviously not there. so i want to know how i can kill this... is it as reg entry or a temp entry?

the program was from a HP disk and i recognize what the string is so i dont think its a virus issue...

thanks for any help...

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    It's very likely coming from the Windows Registry (the horrible abomination that it is). However, it would be wise to check the Start -> Programs -> Startup group as well. When the install fires up, check the Task Manager in the processes tab. Look for potential ".exe" processes that it could be. If you find one, start up regedit and do a search for the executable name. Hopefully you'll find it in the "Run" or "RunService" registry key/folder. If so, delete it from there.
    Michael

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Here's what I would do and I'm not very technical.

If you can, run through the entire install, then use its' own uninstall program to remove it or have XP do it from control panel.

Mark

Ya, if you just want to let it install itself and then uninstall it, that would definitely be an easy solution. Also, if you are running a version of Windows that supports it, may also want to try the system restore option and take your system back to just before you attempted the install.

Just run MSCONFIG at the Start>run prompt and select the startup tab. All the apps that are started when Windows launches are listed there. You can remove the check from any app you don't want to start.

If you want to hunt it down in the registry Launch Regedit and search for the RUN keys.. you should find it there.

BTW we are all giving you Windows solutions, when you haven't specifically stated so.. is this a trick question?
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Administrator
    haa! thanks guys! greata answers!!

meg and marty, i can let it install because the string its looking for is not at the location.. otherwise i would let it do that.

yes its windows xp pro SP2.. im sorry i missed that info...

guzzy, i did go into msconfig before i started this topic and i did see a .exe at the top of the list.. i didn tknow what it was so i just left it there.. ill look in the registry also and se if i can cross reference it..

ill report back! thanks guys!!!

Marc
    You can safely uncheck just about anything in the startup tab using MSCONFIG. I would uncheck likely canditates and reboot to see if that is the culprit. If its a necessary component Windows will add it back in..
    Mark

Administrator
    thank you. will do this in a few minutes...

Originally posted by Marctronixx

guzzy, i did go into msconfig before i started this topic and i did see a .exe at the top of the list.. i didn tknow what it was so i just left it there.. ill look in the registry also and se if i can cross reference it..
    Something I use to get a better idea of the bigger picture is an app called "hijack this". It is intended for finding/removing spyware, but it will show you everything that is involved in startup, whether from the registry or anywhere else
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Administrator
    hi rob, thanks for joinin in!! ill google for that program...

so i see this proecess is called "hpqglry.exe" its something to do with an HP gallery or whatever.. well i have delete one key from the registry but there are others that are still there and this process STILL loads up upon start.so i guess i need to delete all traces of this but i dont know where to begin. i can go into the process box and kill it and that stops it dead in its treacks but it still keeps booting up upon a restart...

thanks for any more info...

Administrator
    theres also some other exe's in there that i dont kow what they are.. id like to delete them but i dont know where to do thia in the registry.. i know the registry is a delicate place. so are trhere any clean up programs that will clean out the reg? short of reinstalling al apps whats the best thign to do?

Marc, have you tried the "system restore" option in Windows? You should be able to take your registry back to just before you installed the HP program without affecting things like recent emails and other documents/media.

Administrator
    i have system restore disabled...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    hi rob, thanks for joinin in!! ill google for that program...

so i see this proecess is called "hpqglry.exe" its something to do with an HP gallery or whatever.. well i have delete one key from the registry but there are others that are still there and this process STILL loads up upon start.so i guess i need to delete all traces of this but i dont know where to begin. i can go into the process box and kill it and that stops it dead in its treacks but it still keeps booting up upon a restart...
    Yep, you should check this utility (freeware) out.... it should help you figure out exactly where that hpqglry.exe is being initialized
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

There are several registry cleaning apps out there, you might try one of those. The other thing you can do is google for the start up apps you are finding in the registry. There are a couple of sites that tell you what each exe really is.

Even though you cancelled the install, have you checked the Add/Remove apps to see if it is listed and might let yuo remove it?
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Mysterious Penguin sloppychachi's Avatar
    Sort of off topic...

There is a great free app called Startup Monitor.
    I love having it because it stops garbage from getting into Startup...

Check out Mike's page (sounds like I know him):
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    Here..maybe... do you smell something fishy?

Administrator
    thanks guys, i cannot uninstall it from the ADD remove window cause its not showing up there.

ill lok at sloppys idea.. thanks guys...

Marco
    There are a number of sites that will give you information on background processes that are running in WinXP and what they do, and who they belong to etc. Start with
    www.processlibrary.com
    or the related
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rocesslibrary/
    Also if you really want us to analyze your startup file post or PM us your hijacklog. Look for it in the downloads area at www.spywareinfo.com . As Robert mentions it has it roots in removing spyware... I've also used it to just optimize my clients systems by looking for unecessary start components.
    Happy computing!
    mg

Administrator
    thanks guzzy.

to be honest i have not had time to get in there and play with it. i will try to get to it in the next couple of days. i will PM the log file to you if you dont mind me doing that.

thanks for all the help guys...