+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

any red bull drinkers...

im going to be shooting a project in about a week and i will not be able to get any decent sleep. i need some energy drink that will keep me going. i have heard red bull is great at keeping you up but id like to hear it from some real world users if possible.. also if there is another drink out there thats better let me know...

thanks guys...

I use to be a bigtime fan of energy drinks, from the original (years ago) of Mtn Dew, to Red Bull, to Amp, and a whole slew of others. I will say this: I no longer drink caffeine, by choice. Over the years, the caffeine lost its effect, and I had to drink more and more to stay awake. It was a horrid crash when I finally quit. 3 days of 12+ hours of sleep a day, body aches, the whole nine yards. Its not a pretty thing.

Having said that, the one drink that did it the best for me was a product in a tall can called "Sobe's No Fear". Its in a black and red/pink can, very tall (at least two red bulls if not more per can), and it cost about .20 more per drink (down here in ole tennessee). Its the best by far and away in my book. Not only does it really keep you up, but it also tastes decent (most energy drinks taste like wet dog butt). Kinda fruity taste to it.

I will warn that energy drinks will increase your need for caffeine if you are already a caffeine drinker, and personally were a bad thing for me, but I cannot say that for you. Just watchout for the warning signs.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    After driving over the road for years and using what ever was sold on any truckstop counter I have to agree with Obadiah, all that stuff is adictive and increases your dependence on drugs. Caffine is a drug and it leads to no-doz. No-doz lead to ephedrine. Ephedrine leads to perscription antizeizure meds which make it impossible to sleep. Antiseizure meds lead to crystal meth.

The best approach to your up coming schedual is to eat well, rest well, take a daily vitamin and to cut out all caffine so that the sleep you do get is quality sleep.

The week before and during the upcoming schedual cut out sugar and any other simple carbohydrates such as things made from white refined flour.

Do not lift weights within 2 days before or during a rough schedual.

A day or 2 before and during the period of time where you will not be resting much cut out protine, increase your intake of complex carbohydrated. In addition to the multivitamin also take a B6 and B12 vitamin daily.

Not only is loading up on caffine problematic for undiagnosed heart conditions it is only prolongating and intensifying a system crash and some times can cause a paradoxical effect and actually cause you to become increadably sleepy.

Administrator
    LOL!

thanks guys for your informed posts... i am not a caffiene drinker... i have never drank coffee. i do not drink carbonated beverages... i only drink tea and water.

i dont lift weights either.

i wont have time to do all of those things you mention. i dont plan on drinking this stuff daily.. just for a couple of days that i wil be up for bascially 18 hours. i heard red bull didnt taste good but i heard sobe did. lol so ill look into the sobe stuff also.

again, thanks for your very good posts...

From a medical perspective, stimulants may help in mild doses, but abused they will worsen performance. You may be awake, but not alert. Rest as much as you can before you begin. If you can, exercise a little during your shoot during a break if you get sleepy (produces endorphins, which help). You'll be amazed how well 60 seconds of jumping jacks will wake you up. (Or just put your face in ice water!)
    Jeremiah 29:11

I did get addicted to caffeine. I've had a harder time getting off of caffeine than I did quitting cigarettes.

I still drink coffee and tea and Red Bull every now and then. Just not nearly as much as I used to.

Go with Red Bull, it gives you wings. I think it tastes the best of all the energy drinks (IMHO), and if you don't drink caffeine often you only need the one 12 oz can once to keep you going for a while. They also make a sugar free version if you are watching carbs.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Ah caffeine, the legal speed.... So Marc why are you asking us about our choice of stimulants? We're just a bunch of forum loitering techie nerds.. You're the one in show biz! Isn't there all manner of pills being passed around on the set?
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 05-15-2005 at 11:16 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Administrator
    haaaa! i dont kiss and tell..

i just wanted to get a sampling of what you guys think about the stuff.. and i have gotten some good responses...

i already do the "jumping jacks" approach between takes. that does help. last weekend i had 2 shoots back to back (non union shoots for those who care) and only got about 3 hours out of the entire 48 hour period. this is why i asked about red bull.. someone mentioned it and i wanted to see what the consensus was on red bull.

thanks again all...

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I drove by myself to FL from CT non-stop. I took breaks in rest areas when I was tired by doing wind sprints in the parking area. Nothing wakes you up better than vigorous exercise. If you can, try short, quick sprints in the parking lot. I made it to Deland, FL (between Disney and Tampa) in 18 hours.

Mark

PS I like Red Bull myself. Also, Fireballs (the hot candies) work great at waking you up.

If you have an ALDI USA near you, they sell an imitation Red Bull called Red Thunder for 1/3 the cost. Tastes exactly the same.

5 hr energy is def the way to go and its small and tasty!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marctronixx View Post
    haaaa! i dont kiss and tell..

i just wanted to get a sampling of what you guys think about the stuff.. and i have gotten some good responses...

i already do the "jumping jacks" approach between takes. that does help. last weekend i had 2 shoots back to back (non union shoots for those who care) and only got about 3 hours out of the entire 48 hour period. this is why i asked about red bull.. someone mentioned it and i wanted to see what the consensus was on red bull.

thanks again all...
    Are you behind or in front of the camera?
    My twin brother is behind and shoots a lot of film junkits (interviews) in NY City along with ABC and NBC specials.

Endorush by BSN

Redline/Redline Xtreme

both can be bought at GNC