+ Reply to Thread

Question e-bay/pay-pal for newbies/dummies

Never bothered to go to e-abay before, but just checked it out. treo 650's for $250, and sony psp's for $160?

how do you know if the person selling is legit? some selling for such low prices had multiple good comments/ratings. how/why would they sell for such a difference in price?

you use pay-pal to get something, do they hold on to the money till after you can check the merchandise to make sure it works?

Can you explain to a gadget freak that is a little broke at them moment?

Just my own advice....

Look at the feedback for the seller. I personally look for over 20 or 30. A negative is OK, but I read what they said, especially their response. You can always have a bad bidder, but if the seller responds with name calling, I am out of there!

I also look at the other things they have sold. Some try to inflate their feedback by selling "penny" items. See what people have been leaving feedback for.

I look at their other items for sale now. If they say they are selling their personal phone because they have a new one, yet have 10 for sale...hmmm...go somewhere else.

I do use PayPal. Do not use you debit card, use a credit card so you can take advantage of their protection. PayPal offers some too, I think they seller and buyer must be verified. Check out their site for more details. They get your money right away. Escrow accounts are where the money would sit in a holding account until you received your items. PayPal doesn't work like that.

You can file complaints with eBay, too, but it is always better to avoid problems if you can.

Normally incredibly low prices are either scams or refurbs. It's one thing to get a good deal, especially on used merchandise, but if a deal seems too good to be true? You know the rest
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

how would i go about setting up an escrow account for reasons such as this?

how hard is it to get your money back if what you receive doesn't work?
    I300 -> I330 -> I500 -> PPC 6700 -> Mogul (ppc 6800) ->???

paypal offers a 30 day money back offer. but you have to file both @ ebay and @ paypal against the seller. they will investigate and take care of the matter @ that point.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I would not mess with escrow, as its not worth it for something that is only a few hundred dollars. I would look at that if I were buying something for 10 thousand dollars.

I have about a 600 rating on Ebay, so I've got a lot of experience with it. There are definitely scams out there, and if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. Here are some tips for the buyer..

* Location of the seller - I would be careful for anything that isn't in the US. You will often see sellers in asian countries selling things at really low prices. Beware.

* Rating of seller - Do NOT buy anything from someone with a zero rating, and beware of anyone with lower ratings. But, don't just look at the number. Click on it and look at the number of negatives they've had in the last several months, AND the number of auctions they've recently had. A big period of inactivity, followed by selling a lot of "too good to be true" items may be an indication that the account has been pirated. If I'm the least bit in doubt, I send the seller questions and see howt hey respond. Sometimes with a few email dialogs you can find out that you are dealing with a new Ebay seller, and if they are legit you can usually get a better buy that way... just do your homework with them and look for signs they are a fraud.

* Ship by USPS if possible - Try to get a buyer that ships by USPS Priority Mail. The reason I say this is that its fairly cheap to ship that way, and it introduces "mail fraud" to their offenses if it is a scam. Usually the scamsters would ship some other way.

* PayPal - The way you do this is important. Pay by PayPal, and with a credit card via PayPal. PayPal will encourage you to pay by bank account, but don't do it. If you pay by credit card, and you get scammed, then you can do a chargeback on your credit card. I know from experience, that PayPal will not fight the chargeback in most cases, and the seller will get hosed... even if they are in the right. This gives you two levels of protection. You can also buy PayPal buyer protection if you are buying a durable good for a small percentage more... not sure what the rules are for that as sometimes it shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. I do know that PayPal is not your friend if you are selling and a buyer tries to scam you and get out of it.

In general, I have gotten good merchandise on Ebay. I have bought a lot of stuff used there, and rarely have I had a problem. Ask for DETAILED descriptions on condition. With a PDAPhone, ask for any defects on the glass, especially. Expect some wear, but the glass should have been under a screen protector. These are all easy things to check out by email.

If you are careful, and do your homework... Ebay is a great place to get a good deal. "Too good to be true" prices on brand new stuff are usually a scam.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I want to thank all of you for the responses. I am now checking into a sony psp & a sprint treo 650. I want a new phone, my i330 is getting old.

I'm fightig gadget lust. I know I would want a phone w/ev-do and all the new doo-dads coming around the corner. Problem is with sprint is you never know how long it will take b4 they actually release a phone

eBay tips

All good advuce, especially from Mike.

eBay works because of the feedback system. It's self-policing to an extent, but you can also report problem people directly to eBay and they will be banned.

I too, recommend sticking with U.S. sellers and using your credit card via paypal.

Do check their feedback scores, noting what else they have sold.

I have some good eBay tips on my web site, including how to find the "ebay market rate" for item as well as how to
    snipe to win an auction.

You can read those at:

http://www.pilot-pauls-travel-access...trategies.html

I hope that this is helpful to you.

Happy bidding. Just remember to have a limit to your bidding and stick to it.
    It's easy to get caught in the fun and competitiveness of it all and bid more than you ought to.

Pilot Paul
    Discover how an Airline Captain can help you with your travel needs. Travel accessory reviews and recommendations. Products tested by flight crewmembers. Useful articles including jet lag prevention, travel rest, airport security. Learn travel tips and insider's secrets. FREE Newsletter and RSS.