+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up OFFTOPIC -But so cool! Free satellite imagery from Google Earth.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    That thing is pretty cool... I could find my house. The map in my case is about 4 years old though.
    Mike - Been Converged?

In some areas, the images are very old. Ironically, the office in which I work in the Nashville area is an older, lower resolution image, but the image of our home, some 40 miles away from Nashville, is within a year, and highly detaled! The image of my mother's place is within two years old, and also highly detailed.

What is cool is that there are images for practically the whole world! We spent several hours the first night, looking at the whole world, flying from one point to the next. Regardless of map quality, the whole thing is a very neat idea. If they get the images more detaled, and more uptodate, then we will have a very useful tool.

Did you realize you can search for businesses in it? I just put in "China Wok", Murfreesboro, TN, and it zoomed right down to the plaza where it resides! That is so cool. For free? Can't beat that price...
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I found that the business locations here weren't very accurate. It was close, but not on the actual location.

It is a very cool idea overall.

I did a project a few years ago with the Dept. of Justice and we got to see THEIR system. I would guess that it was live, as opposed to the older maps... but I could be mistaken. They could overlay crime type occurances from a period of time, and then business types, or family demographics. It was very cool for looking at trends in different areas, or looking for crime patterns. Of course one person raised their hand and asked if they could overlay all the Dunkin Donuts shops on there and everyone laughed. I'm sure they could.

Now to think that Google has brought similar capability to the general masses for free. Amazing.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mysterious Penguin sloppychachi's Avatar
    My iceberg is not clear at all...
    Here..maybe... do you smell something fishy?