+ Reply to Thread

Blackberry vs Win Mobile vs Palm

Wow, I haven't posted in the louge in a while. So a little light hearted question, if you have one of these devices, do you envy someone that has a different one?

Silly question, I know. But I always find myself dang near breaking my neck to see what everyone else is using. Anytime I see someone on a CrackBerry, I always say out loud, "inferior device". Got a couple of stares and nasty looks.

Palm devices I have respect for. I still find them inferior to Windows Mobile, but they are solid (most are anyways) devices and handle what they can do well.

Of course, my preference will always be WM. Despite the headaches, the resets, the inconsistent configurations and conflicts...I just find it very flexible. I call it my little digital swiss army knide...just about anything I want to do with it, I can. Still working on taking over the nations communcation grid...but that'll come with time.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

If push email is your #1 concern than blackberry is the way to go. (Until I see WM2005 and Exchange 2003 working in person, I will say blackberry all the way)

I like my PPC, its just the phone interface is junk. Its like someone slapped together a dialpad and some notifications and said here you go. There is a reason that phone alarm is so popular.

I keep hearing Palm is inferior to pocket pc. Other than multi-tasking(I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am not convinced that multitasking on a device with limited resources is a good thing) what does a pocket pc do that a palm can't? I guess if you are on Verizon there is no palm device with EVDO either. Other than that the Treo's one handed interface and phone program are probably the best I've ever used for a pda phone. Plus snappermail for email. (And while I am streaming what about the junk SMS program on the PPC)but I digress...

It all comes down to what does the individual want from his/her device. For me it was EVDO, phone with bluetooth, DUN, and email. EVDO knocked out everything except for a pocket pc device. If high speed data wasn't available I probably would have stuck with my Treo.

Just like life, no pda phone is perfect, you got to pick what's important and get the device that matches those criteria.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

That's what I reason with people with they ask for recommendations. Every device has it strengths and weaknesses and it ultimately comes down to what you need to do. You need e-mail pushed, you go with BlackBerry. If you want simple PIM and a relatively simple interface, I suggest Palm. If you need flexibility and power, then I say go with WM.

I may be a little biased towards WM as that is pretty much the only mobile OS I've known. My first PDA was one of the original Sharps (the Wizard or Zaurus...can't remember) and I was just floored by the functionality. I was still using that when Palm was forst introduced but the prices of the devices caused me to look elsewhere. Finally got a Audiovox PDA and was hooked on Windows CE/Windows Mobile.

It was the level of support and the amount of software that kept me with Windows Mobile. Palm has a good user and software base also, but it never seemed as comprehensive as Windows Mobile. I mean, you can practically stumble over software sites, guides to reverse-engineering WM devices, hardware, etc. With Palm, it always seemed like a small spattering...here and there.

But I agree, ultimately it comes down to what you want the device to do for you. I find it funny that you can read a post about someone who has just bought a Treo or a Sammie i730 because it's the latest thing, then they bombard forums b/c it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that. A little reasearch goes a looooong way!
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.