+ Reply to Thread

Wink SuperDave in Trouble For Helping?

Working Multiple Jobs?

Dateline: Chesapeake, VA, USA

Many people work more than one job at a time to help make ends meet. But not many people work multiple full-time jobs. When you work in the ultra-secretive IT industry, working for two competitors can get you into a lot of trouble.

Take the case of David Supriano. David is a well regarded IT professional -- with mutiple full time jobs. David -- known by the hacker psuedonym "SuperDave" in the dark corners of the internet -- has earned a reputation as being knowedgeable, quick, and often uncanny in his ability to resolve tough problems in the most complex of devices -- high end cell phones and so-called "convergence devices." His very effectiveness has drawn the unwanted attention of a number of IT companies.

It all started when SuperDave came to the rescue of purchasers of the much anticipated, but initially greatly disappointing, Samsung i700 cell phone. The i700, one of the small breed of convergence devices, is supposed to seemlessly mesh the form and functions of a traditional [sic] PoocketPC with the usability and sound clarity of a high end cell phone. What early adopters found, though, was that the device was less than the sum of its parts. Enter - SuperDave. SuperDave quickly responed to the complaints and requests of the purchasers of the device, covering the signficant gap in support offered by Samsung and Verizon (a large US-based cellular carrier known for excellent network coverage but expensive service and often artificially-limited hardware options). Like a well oiled machine, SuperDave cranked out workarounds and even software packages to address the device's shortcomings. While not yet signifying a trend, his work seemed to leverage strong inside knowledge of both Samsung's product and the Microsoft Operating System on which the device is based.

The next chapter began when the same early adopters of the i700 began to move to the next hot cellular device -- the Motorola V710. This phone gained significant notoriety in even the popular press for the deliberate crippling of the device by Verizon. Of particular concern to users were the limitations on use of the phone's Bluetooth functionality and the ability to move [sic] multiple-media on and off the device without paying a recurring fee to Verizon. These functions were in-tact in the original Motorola version of the phone, but crippled in the Verizon-specific version of the phone. SuperDave somehow managed to reverse-engineer significant portions of the phones internal programming (so called, firmware). Soon, a customized version of the V710 firmware was released by SuperDave that addressed many of the shortcomings of the phone. Even some Verizon employees mistakenly referred to the hacked firmware as being the latest release from their own company. The trend begins to form, but it still not recognized by the key players in the drama -- Samsung, Motorola, software giant Microsoft, and cellular gorilla Verizon.

In the latest chapter of the story, the power and sense of community within the secretive phone-hacking world begins to shine. In a grassroots effort, fellow enthusiasts who were jumping to the newly release Samsung i730 banded together to purchase the phone for SuperDave. Once again, Verizon is blamed for deliberately crippling an otherwise useful phone. SuperDave quickly got to work on overcoming the phone's limitations. Perhaps too quickly. You see, this is where the trend becomes apparent to the software, hardware, and service providers. You see, SuperDave started resolving issues on this new phone very quickly - within a day. He resolved the biggest disappointment in the phone (a deliberate wall created by Verizon to segment the communications capabilities of the two sides of the (non-) converged device) in just a few hours -- after others has worked on it for weeks.

How could one man overcome deliberate limitions in several products from several companies, consistently, with rapid turnaround? At a joint press conference, representatives from the companies began to speak out.

Says Igotu Wheriwantu, a Microsoft product planner, "It is inconceivable that one man can repeatedly out-engineer the largest, most powerful, and frequently most devious software firm in the world. We have hundreds of software developers whose sole responsibility is to design features and limitations in such a way as to ensure that we have fixes and improvements to make in subsequent product releases, generating large future income streams. Perhaps this SuperDave is not one man but many. Perhaps he has inside information that we have not yet traced back internally. Either way, this person is a serious concern and challenge for us."

A Verizon employee who declined to be indentified for this article, indicates "[The] man is a menace. He knowns more about our products than we do. If we had half his knowledge, we could more significantly alter the vendors' phones and generate huge amounts of revenue. With our network, really, people have no choice but the use our phones. One day, we will be as great Borland, Ashton-Tate, WebVan, and Novell combined! It is just a matter of time."

Representatives from Samsung declined to be interviewed for this article, but we could hear the spokesperson's handler, standing off in the distance, mumble "Damn those Verizon marketers. No other carrier is going buy our damn phones if we keep letting Verizon make our products look crappy every single time. Maybe we need to start leaking solutions to the damage they have created." (Little did they know, they already had.)

Finally, Motorola spokesperson Snee Key-Resource presented the combined findings of the companies: "After significant analysis of the damage done by David Superiano, aka SuperDave, we have determined that his ability to stymie our companies' goals stems from a signficant amount of insider information from each of the companies. After speaking to our own Dave Supra, Microsoft's Dave Supremassey, Samsung's "Davey" Suprisito, and Verizon's David Supradavis, we have determined that they are all actually the same person. It was difficult to put the pieces together at first, but when we asked them all to meet with their management at the same place and time, it didn't take a NASA scientist to notice that the same man responded to questions directed at all four men."

Snee Key-Resource continued "Each of our companies has clear non-compete clauses as well as punishments for leaking of internal information. It has become painfully clear that SuperDave has leveraged his insider knwoledge to the detriment of our firms. We are currently looking into the financial damage he has caused. Unfortunately, each of our firms has outsourced their accounting to Verizon, and we are not yet able to get accurate figures for our revenue and expenses, or to reach a support person with knowledge of the system. But when we do, we will act accordingly."

Somehow, the mythical figure of SuperDave has been brought back to reality. Will they allow him to keep his concurrent jobs despite the perceived damages to each firm? Perhaps Microsofts Igotu Wheriwantu sums it up best: "SuperDave is a definite thorn in our side, but he is still the only person that has resolved problems we didn't mean to create. We may just have to live with him." Let's hope they all do.

[Additional reporting by Peedia Fonhoam in Cyberspace, USA.]
    Last edited by drzeller; 07-22-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Where'd this come from? Curious, they think 'superdave' works full time for all those companies? I find that hard to believe. Simply because you cant be in 3 places at once. It would seem if this is true that all 3 said companies are doing a bad job of seeing if their employee's are in their desks. Or, 'superdave' is a outside contractor of all the companies...
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

YEAHH!! SD RULES. ROCK ON !

(grin) - Its not April 1st - but really funny.

Originally posted by tange1
    Where'd this come from? Curious, they think 'superdave' works full time for all those companies? I find that hard to believe. Simply because you cant be in 3 places at once. It would seem if this is true that all 3 said companies are doing a bad job of seeing if their employee's are in their desks. Or, 'superdave' is a outside contractor of all the companies...
    please tell me you are joking....

great article!!!! well written!!!! and above all else, AWESOME NAMES!!!!! IGOTU WHERIWANTU... SNEE KEY-RESOURCE.... PEEDIA FONHOAM.... LOL...

Good one!! I got halfway through before I realized hey, this is all in fun.

Actually, it's funny but it's not. Frickin idiots at Verizon. Booooo!

lol, i guess thats y he is called SUPER DAVE

instead of critisying him, they should learn from his actions, support their customers the way we deserve, wtf its technology and should be streatched to its limits and let the indivual decide what they want to tweak or not, fn big brother idiots, I personaly appreciate all his efforts. Rock on SD

Originally posted by Iceman
    Good one!! I got halfway through before I realized hey, this is all in fun.
    I'm glad someone else said this, because I did the same thing and was beginning to feel a little foolish (the quote by IGOTU WHEREIWANTU was finally where I got on board).

sofa king we todd did superdave's Avatar
    That is absolutly hilarious, extremly well written too. I'm definitly going to have to save that.

,Dave

You had me going for a while there! Very Very well written!

I started thinking hey if this guy has all these jobs and all this information why would we have to buy him a phone realizing then this had to be a prank, eh-
    but a very good one, im sure dave got a kick out of it- didnt ya dave!
    I started with a Psion Organizer in 1987!

that's Ok folks he's well protected. He has solicited the protection from the "Albany Mobile Force" and he's in good hands. He has 24 hour protection from our highly trained intelligence agents and these agents are "well converged" and are trained in the latest Wi-Fi and BT surveillance systems. Just to name a few of our exemplary agents..........SC, JC, MW,Shackrat, JP and also we have just recruited an ex-CIA agent harleyxlc who has extraordinary talents in crowd control and Business PR. Yours truly had this vision that one day SD might need this protection and we decided to start this company during the i700 and V710 days. I am taking donations and if you all can kindly make that small donation it would be greatly appreciated as it will go towards the huge cost of feeding those agents. If in case things go awry we have TimSatryan to give us comfort.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Too funny! The candor of the MS employee was the tip-off!
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

Hey! There's a "David Superfluous" working at my company. Hmmm...

YESSS!!! SD Rules!
    That just made my day!
    "we took a trip to Garden Grove, it smelled like lou inside the van, oh yea"

Originally posted by superdave
    That is absolutly hilarious, extremly well written too. I'm definitly going to have to save that.

,Dave
    Dave, thanks for your help. It's really a tribute...

D.

I almost fell out when read this one. Am I glad I stumbled onto this group a few days ago!

Love ya, Dave!!!
    TKD2004

I love it! As always, way to go, superdave!

Great job, drzeller!
    John