+ Reply to Thread

Number Migration??? Help!

I recently got an additional account with Tmobile so that I could take advantage of new customer discounts on a cell phone (so now I have two accounts, until I cancel the old one). The catch is that it has a new phone number.

What I'd like to do is transfer my old accounts number to the new one, then cancel the old account, so that I can move on with my new phone, and my new contract, without changing numbers.

I call it "number migration," because I believe that is the correct term for moving numbers between accounts within a single network.

Can this be done, and if so how?

(or am I screwed, and do I need to simply accept that I have a new phone number now?)

Thanks for the help

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    It's called "Number Portability", and yes it can be done in your case. Simply contact TMobile and tell them what you want to do.
    Michael

SilverDrgn is incorrect. Number Portability is a term for taking your number from one provider to another. If you have two seperate accounts within one company, you are at their mercies on moving your phone number between the two accounts. Chances are, you are not going to be able to do as you are wanting.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

thanks. I didn't think it could be done easily. Thats why I posted it here, I was hoping someone had a super-secret strategy for getting this to work...

You'll never know unless you give them a call and ask. I wouldn't mention up front that you want to cancel one of the accounts, just that you want to swap which account number is associate with which phone number. Then once you do that, cancel the account you don't want. I wanted to do something similar with Verizon and they told me it could be done, no idea about T-Mobile though.