+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Windows XP

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2004
    Posts
    283

    Windows XP

    Any of you computer wizards know on what line in the windows xp registry is the windows cd key? i recieved a false key and i just want to change it in the registry rather then reinstalling windows. thx

  2. #2
    Cornfused MGuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2003
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,810
    Use Keyfinder from
    www.magicaljellybean.com
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2004
    Posts
    283
    do you know if i can simply change the key with this app? sorry but if i wasnt at work right now i would give it a shot...awsome site btw...thx mguzzy

  4. #4
    Fully Constipated Catman51's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-19-2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    787
    looks like it can change the key, has an option.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

  5. #5
    Melchizedek Priest Nephi's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-30-2004
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    890
    received a false key? what happened to the one you got with it originally?
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

  6. #6
    Registered User equus's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-06-2003
    Location
    Milpitas. California
    Posts
    5,293
    This key issue is gonna get big now>>>>>.MS is validating ALL XP OS's on PC's when customers go to update.........any pirated OS will not be updated...........there goes quite a few PC's down the tube................
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

  7. #7
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-16-2002
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    9,440
    Well.. you can always buy a copy if that happens. Not the end of the world. I just bought a used Thinkpad on Ebay, so I hope that it doesn't have any issues with the OS. It should be here tomorrow so I can check it out.
    Mike - Been Converged?

  8. #8
    Cornfused MGuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2003
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,810
    Originally posted by PDAshadow
    do you know if i can simply change the key with this app? sorry but if i wasnt at work right now i would give it a shot...awsome site btw...thx mguzzy
    Yes this is one of several utilities that exist that will display and change the keys in just about any version of Windows and MS Office. You can actually change the key with some utilities that are already available in WindowsXP, Keyfinder is just easier to use, IMO. If I recall, the Product key is actually stored in a reg key called "Digital Product ID" in somekind of encrypted hex. I once had to extract a valid product ID from a hard drive that would not boot for a client who lost his sticker! It was messy...! But I digress. I use Keyfinder often when I have to extract somebody's key before a reinstall and they have lost thier docs (seems to happen often with upgrade copies)
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 08-04-2005 at 02:23 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2004
    Posts
    283
    right i used it yesterday and it works
    great...thx again and also thx for
    the warnings on the MS validation
    hammer lol

  10. #10
    Melchizedek Priest Nephi's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-30-2004
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    890
    Why pirate when you can buy them legit? $120 for pro full install here. Justify it any which way you want, but when its all said and done, pirating is stealing if you do not buy the software eventually....

    I was the biggest pirate this side of the Mississippi (south of the Mason/Dixson line), and when I was young, it was fun. However, I pirated to collect, not to use. Those things I used, and LIKED, I bought. It makes my conscious feel better, and is only fair, considering the work put into the software. Its a choice to the individual, of course, but pirating is just wrong, if your goal is to use software without buying it. If your idea is to use it to see if you should buy it, that's one thing, but pirating to not pay for it alltogether is stealing, imho....
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2004
    Posts
    283
    well for your information i did buy the
    software.......now if i paid full price for it thats
    a diff story winkwink lol

  12. #12
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-16-2002
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    9,440
    Well, you can also use RockXP at http://softpedia.com/progDownload/Ro...load-9291.html to retrieve your key. Amazing this topic is posted and then I need it a few days later. I just bought a used laptop and the Windows Certificate was scraped off the back... so I wanted to make sure I knew what the key was for it in case I had a drive problem later on. The sticker missing is a whole story in itself, but suffice it to say that I believe the machine (and IBM Thinkpad) is legit or I wouldn't have bought it. I was also able to do an update on the Microsoft site without any difficulty. Now when my copy of MS Office for Small Business arrives I can put this thing to work.
    Mike - Been Converged?

  13. #13
    MEG
    MEG is offline
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Join Date
    09-23-2004
    Location
    Brookfield, CT
    Posts
    1,140
    Yeh, that Windows sticker can accidently get scraped off.......

    When it falls off the back of the truck!



    Mark

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-11-2004
    Location
    Greensboro, NC U.S.A.
    Posts
    828
    Originally posted by Convergent
    [sip...] I just bought a used laptop and the Windows Certificate was scraped off the back... so I wanted to make sure I knew what the key was for it in case I had a drive problem later on. [...snip]
    I have purchased used ThinkPads in the past. If you call IBM support, they will send you restore CDs as long as the model you have is still supported, or if they still have copies. That way you don't have to worry about the key.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2004
    Posts
    283
    Originally posted by Convergent
    Well, you can also use RockXP at http://softpedia.com/progDownload/Ro...load-9291.html to retrieve your key. Amazing this topic is posted and then I need it a few days later. I just bought a used laptop and the Windows Certificate was scraped off the back... so I wanted to make sure I knew what the key was for it in case I had a drive problem later on. The sticker missing is a whole story in itself, but suffice it to say that I believe the machine (and IBM Thinkpad) is legit or I wouldn't have bought it. I was also able to do an update on the Microsoft site without any difficulty. Now when my copy of MS Office for Small Business arrives I can put this thing to work.

    i think its safe to say somebody else or several others are using your cd key....your safe cause nobody ever registers.....especially those using passed around cd keys......they just need the keys to install a bootlegged copy of windows on a machine and thats it.....only diff is that you get all the good updates such as the service packs and they dont.....but theres even ways around that

  16. #16
    Melchizedek Priest Nephi's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-30-2004
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    890
    Originally posted by PDAshadow
    i think its safe to say somebody else or several others are using your cd key....your safe cause nobody ever registers.....especially those using passed around cd keys......they just need the keys to install a bootlegged copy of windows on a machine and thats it.....only diff is that you get all the good updates such as the service packs and they dont.....but theres even ways around that
    some keys require "activation" after installation, and if you do not activate it, it eventually will not allow you to use it. These are OEM keys.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

  17. #17
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-16-2002
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    9,440
    I decided to keep the laptop... interestingly it had both the serial number and windows key stickers removed. I am sure there is a reason why that was done, but the seller's explanation didn't really make a ton of sense. The bottom line is that it has a year and half remaining on warranty, including on site repair and accidental damage coverage. I did verify with IBM that the motherboard serial number matched the machine serial number that was in BIOS... so this is the right machine. I also retrieved the Windows key and activated Widows with Microsoft without any problem. I made copies of the Ebay auction info, and all the emails about this subject with the seller. He also provided the recovery CD that goes with it. It is working fine so far.
    Mike - Been Converged?

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2004
    Posts
    283
    well thats good to hear....you should be fine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts