+ Reply to Thread

Sharp Zaurus SL3000

http://www.dynamism.com/sl-c3000/

Well, in my search for a slideout keyboard PocketPC..I fell into a world full..well...relatively speaking of course, of handtops.

Wonderful little devices, however the most advanced ones all use Linux. I'm not a Linux fan by any means, so I was wondering, given the specs in that little machine, if it's possible to format the drive, and install windows.

You guys are the biggest fellow geeks I know, so I need a little help!

Not to sound like a party-pooper here, why would you want to go from a very stable Linux OS to an MS OS that is so unstable?...........(flame suit on) I would love to get a PDA with Linux in it.............frankly the learning curve is not that bad........on couple of desktops I run Linux and NEVER had a problem......never..........I cant see the same of the others that I have Win in them...........constant maintenance.......
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

I'm under the impression that linux has less applications available for it...In essence all I need is a keyboard, a screen, a browser and bluetooth.

This one fits well, and I'd have to buy an BT card (you know linux...is it easy to add a BT card to linux?)

Even with little games, I might not find any to kill time when I need to

Originally posted by Xc0m
    I'm under the impression that linux has less applications available for it...In essence all I need is a keyboard, a screen, a browser and bluetooth.

This one fits well, and I'd have to buy an BT card (you know linux...is it easy to add a BT card to linux?)

Even with little games, I might not find any to kill time when I need to
    yes it is easy to add a BT card to it.remember one of the models has two slots........1 CF and 1 SD ..besides there is a lot of support for Linux users........I personally think you might be ahead of the whole game if you get in Linux now while it is still in an infant stage........... I know you can do it.go for it........and you will be the pioneer here at this site to be hailed as "The Official Linux PDA" user. Besides it is a sssshhhhweet looking device too.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Are you a salesman in your daily job?

I'm tempted to get it. I'm just unsure of what applications will run on it. Netfront has a bad reputation with us PPC 6600 users.

I don't know if you can answer me this or not...but from what you can gleam from that site, are all linux apps compatible or not?

And, as an aside, what kind of small games can I load on it?

It'll obviously be a business tool first, but a time killer is a close second

Sorry if I'm being a newb with this, I jsut find dishing out 800 clams for something I don't know too well alittle hard to digest at first

OMG...........you have angered my borg cousins with that question!!!!!............I am an Engineer and definitely not a salesman.
    As far as what games can be loaded, honestly I have no clue.
    All Linux programs are compatible.
    Yes NetFront on a PPC has had a bad reputation, that said it must be working pretty stable on Linux if not they might have gone with another browser provider.

Umm, check this out.Its GSM though but very attractive and is cool looking too...........lot cheaper than the Sharp...........yes it is still Linux based..........Motorola A768i

Alright, since you are willing to look at palmtops check this out:

http://www.oqo.com/

You might also consider a tablet PC. You could get an HP one with a removable keyboard.

I'm with equus though, If I had a choice I would go with linux. Plus if a program doesn' t exist, you could get someone else's source code and modify it yourself.

http://sourceforge.net/
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

thanks for the help guys.

I'm more and more interested in the Zaurus.

The only sticking point is I don't know much about Linux.

Basically, all I need is to be able to quickly type on the road (support issues), surf the web, and have BT connectivity so it can DUN via a Motorola V3 or Nokia 6820 (to do this, I know I need to add a BT card...does any BT card work? I was looking at the Toshiba)

I found the zaurus for 600$ with an english operating system. Hopefully it's a 100% conversion. I don't know chinese!

And how do movies stack up in all this? Are there programs I can download that can view Divx avis, wmv and mpeg? What about mp3?

I hate being a newbie

Alright, I'm so close to buying, I just need a little help.

http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/

http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/linux-os-cd.html

the last one is the requirements.

Can I format the Zaurus drive and install that? Looks so much nicer!

And am I right that some Linux apps cant be installed on certain Linux distros?

This Linux world is so confusing