+ Reply to Thread

Converting downloaded music for iPod

I got crazy this weekend and bought an Apple Powerbook and iPod. I know, flame me all you want, but ya gotta admit, they are pretty sweet.

Anyway, I'm in the process of switching stuff and all that jazz.

I have Yahoo Unlimited Downloads (which download music as a protected .wma file)---I can download at will to listen on the pc or ppc, but I cannot burn cds without paying extra. However, I can't move them to iTunes because of the DRM. (and thus, I can't move them to the iPod).

So my question is, is there a way to convert the music to be able to listen to them on the iPod/iTunes?

(this is the first of what I am sure will be plenty of questions about converting to a mac.... )
    Jeremiah 29:11

someone told me that ipods appear as a hot swapable hard drive in your "my computer" folder, so you should be able to drag/drop them? no?

as for Ipods, well, I found a program that allows me to change m4p files to mp3 files online. I don't use Itunes anymore, though, and use allofmp3.com. Its just cheaper.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

I can drag and drop, but it won't play them.

Mysterious Penguin sloppychachi's Avatar
    First of all - I am so with you MW. I have been eyeing a Mac for such a long time. I totally suggest you pickup Final Cut Pro. I use it at work and it really,really rocks!!!

Okay, cheap trick...

Burn a playlist to CD as audio.
    When you reinsert the CD, all of your tunes can then be ripped and modified to whatever format you want!
    Here..maybe... do you smell something fishy?

There is a program called jhymn that unlocks tunes downloaded from itunes. I don't know if that will help you, but good luck.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Originally posted by sloppychachi
    First of all - I am so with you MW. I have been eyeing a Mac for such a long time. I totally suggest you pickup Final Cut Pro. I use it at work and it really,really rocks!!!

Okay, cheap trick...

Burn a playlist to CD as audio.
    When you reinsert the CD, all of your tunes can then be ripped and modified to whatever format you want!
    1. Final Cut Pro---looks awesome, but I'm a little fearful of the price! I don't do enough editing to justify that to my wife!

2. I can't burn CDs off the "unlimited downloads" option---only can be played on electronic devices (unless I want to pay extra). There has to be a way to listen to them on the iPod; I just haven't found it yet. JHymn works the other way---takes iTunes music and makes it play on other devices.

Mysterious Penguin sloppychachi's Avatar
    Originally posted by mwfielder
    1. Final Cut Pro---looks awesome, but I'm a little fearful of the price! I don't do enough editing to justify that to my wife!

2. I can't burn CDs off the "unlimited downloads" option---only can be played on electronic devices (unless I want to pay extra). There has to be a way to listen to them on the iPod; I just haven't found it yet. JHymn works the other way---takes iTunes music and makes it play on other devices.
    imovie is an awesome app and it is pretty much free...
    I have never tried the unlimited downloads option so I am clueless there. Did you think about eating a mackeral, not much help for your problem but we penguins seem to love them...
    Here..maybe... do you smell something fishy?