+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Phone

Fully Clueless

Stolen Phone

Through carelessness on my part, my I730 walked away this morning. Lockline is sending a new one out as a replacement.

My concern (spelled stupidity) is that on the storage card were all my web logins/passwords, etc. I went on line and changed all that were critical this morning.

My major concern at this time is that I had been using EWallet and it had all my credit card info protected with a 4 digit password.

How easy would it be for the "new owner" of my phone to hack that password and obtain my credit card information?

I sure hate to cancel all my cards but will do so if necessary.

Verizon did restrict the ESN number.

I guess in the future, I will settle for calendar and contacts and leave the rest of y personal information off of the device.

Also, the Sprite Backup stuff was on the storage card that went the way of the phone. How much info will I recover using Active Sync backup/restore?
    Last edited by case1212; 10-21-2005 at 03:15 PM.

Converged and Insane!

Yes, very EASY...but check this out...

Very EASY!!! There are many hacks available to retrieve a password ( I have some, but they are used for Microsoft applications for doing a little bit of Corporate espionage). Being that your password was only 4 characters, will even be easier. My suggestion to you is that it's always wise to be safe and cover your ASS--etts.

Oh, and P.S...., I forgot to mention this. You can still put your personal information on your new PDA. You might want to invest into this program. It will delete your personal information after so many failed attempts to log in. You can actually set the number of failed attempts before deletion. I have this software and love it. I bought it because of the many features and this added benefit:

InfoSafe, 2005 stated: Extra security options - Specify a password entry delay after so many failed attempts, specify to destroy data after so many failed attempts.

Here is the link: InfoSafe

Reference

InfoSafe, (2005). In Software - Security.
    Retrieved October 21st, 2005, from www.handango.com
    [Website]
    Last edited by GLP403b; 10-21-2005 at 04:10 PM.

I thought I had heard from someone in my Company that there is something Verizon can send to the phone to "reset" it and clear all the info. Anyone else here this? Any truth to this?
    --------------------------------------
    Joshua Richardson A.K.A. THE FLASH
    --------------------------------------
    Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6

Fully Clueless

Stolen Phone

Further to my stolen phone question.

By now, the battery is probably dead so I imagine it would be equal to a hard reset. However, if who took it knows anything about it, they could still get into safe store and/or the SD card.

This begs another question. Would any card reader be able to retrieve what is on the SD card?

I work for a major automobile dealer and I left the phone in the restroom. So, whoever took it probably has no idea of what he has.

I will look into InfoSafe when I get the new device back.

In that Verizon has placed the ESN on the restricted list, does that prevent it from being activated by another carrie?

Lessons are learned every day.

I'm afraid the answer is yes, the data on your SD card is easily read on any computer that has an SD slot. The file system is FAT (actually, FAT32).

Any chance you just lost it and someone will return it?

You have my sympathies.
    -Kevin
    -Kevin

I feel bad for you man. It's unfortunate that some people have the "finders keepers" mentality still.

Fully Clueless

Stolen Phone

Nah! It won't be coming back. I discovered I had left it in the restroom within about ten minutes and went back in and it was gone.

We are a major Toyota dealer so it had to be one of our customers as we are not like a department store or fast food place with drop ins.

Can't trust anyone and that is a shame.

I wouldn't be too worried about the eWallet file being hacked into. The person who has you phone probably doesn't even know which program opend the file extansion for eWallet files. eWallet files are also encrypted with 128 bit encryption which is relatively secure. Sure a hacker nutball could get into it, but it isn't very likely that is the type of person who stole your phone. You may also want to see if the security camera tapes in your dealership could be reviewed to see who may have taken your phone. It could even have been a coworker who had been coveting your cool phone.
    --
    Charles

Fully Clueless
    As hard as I have tried, I can't get them to put cameras in the restrooms.

Thanks for the info on EWallet.

The other question I posed inmy first post was how much can I expect to recover via the Active Sync restore. I did a full back up a couple of weeks ago.

You will get all the info on it as far as what you had a few weeks ago. Not safestore or what was on the SD card.
    They can clone an ESN to the phone that will be randomly picked and the bill will go to that unfortunate customer.
    http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts...honefraud.html

Converged and Insane!
    Originally posted by Charles Pickrell
    I wouldn't be too worried about the eWallet file being hacked into. The person who has you phone probably doesn't even know which program opend the file extansion for eWallet files. eWallet files are also encrypted with 128 bit encryption which is relatively secure. Sure a hacker nutball could get into it, but it isn't very likely that is the type of person who stole your phone...
    And we probably won't ever experience a nuclear attack, and the world isn't PROBABLY coming to an end...lol

The bottom line is you just never know. Would you rather be incovenienced a little, or when the information is hacked, be incovenienced a lot? Personally, I know the answer to this question my damn self since I have already experienced the beautiful enigma of identity theft once before. Man, let me tell you all...it was definitely an eye opener. I just felt so damn good about myself...because this is what I said, "Awww shucks Wally, it prolly will never happen if mom and dad don't find out about it, right?!!! I was DEAD WRONG and just some "Leave it to BEAV" facetiousness.

In conclusion, never give a person that stole a phone let alone, steals anything the benefit of the doubt. Always look at a thief as an obvious threat.

But that's just me...
    Last edited by GLP403b; 10-21-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Fully Clueless
    I took the time this afternoon to report all of my cards except gas cards, stolen. Would rather err on the side of caution.

I hope you called you phone before shutting it down. Might have rang on the very person who took it while he was still near.

Maybe they would have picked up and ya could have guilted them into returning it if nothing else.

Fully Clueless
    Tried that.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Originally posted by case1212
    Tried that.
    Did it ring?
    Did they pickup?

This is exciting.........

Fully Clueless
    Not real exciting when you have to go through all varies steps to cancel credit cards and the like.

Also, not only did it cost me $50 for the insurance deductible, but I have to go buy another SD card.

From now on, I will back up everything to the SD card once a week and then remove the card from the device until the next backup.

cams

why not review the floor tapes? surely even if you have 25 customers around during that time you can approximate and perhaps even see the person holding the phone?

Originally posted by case1212

From now on, I will back up everything to the SD card once a week and then remove the card from the device until the next backup.
    Sorry for the loss.

Just a thought for next time, instead of trying to keep up with manually removing the card, you could try what I do.

I have one folder in \storage card\my documents\system restorations\ that I set to sync with a folder on my desktop every time I cradle, or sync, and that way when your phone and card is lost, you can just copy that file back on to your new card, and replacement phone, and be up and running in about 5 mins literally. As soon as I get EVDO, I am going to set that up to send my backup to my desktop every night at like 2 a.m., so no matter what happens, within one business day, I would have a perfect clone of the previous days (lost phone).

Re: cams

Originally posted by treypsu
    why not review the floor tapes? surely even if you have 25 customers around during that time you can approximate and perhaps even see the person holding the phone?
    this is what I would do. then go choke the hell out of everyone that came out of the toilet after you, till you get some real info. someone will talk eventually, someone always talks....

case,
    sorry for the loss... what toyota store do you work for? i work for a small auto dealer group in CT and although it never happened to me, it has definitely happened to many of my co-workers (the bathroom thing). i use ewallet too and I backup my SD card onto my laptop once a week. I just saw an ad for a software company that makes a program for the Treo 650 that sends it an "electronic bullet" that wipes the unit if it stolen / lost. Do they have this for the PPC I wonder?