+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Man, this is cool stuff

Do any of you own an NSLU2? This thing is so cool! I have own mine for a while and used it for network storage, but I came across the ability to unslung the OS on the NSLU2. The OS is linux all the way! When you unslung it, you put the OS from the ROM on the NSLU2 to your harddrive! This allows you to do great modifications!

There are several prebuilt packages for an unslung NSLU2 already availible, that require no compiling, and minimal configuring. One I have installed, and have working beautifully is the CUPS package (Common Unix Printing System). Since there is a second usb port on the NSLU2, and I was not using it, I plugged our HP printer into that port, installed the CUPS system, and (BLAM), I've got a print server for my home network! Talk about cool! Now, we don't have to worry about having one computer up and running 24/7 just to print!

Another package I have installed is the Twonkyvision Media Server. You see, I also own a Linksys wmls11b wireless music system. It plays (mp3s I store locally and streaming audio from the internet) wirelessly over my local network, and is connected to my stereo in the living room. Well, to listen to local mp3s, I have to have a media server running. I don't want to use my PC to do this, so instead, I use the NSLU2 box to do this! It does it without any problems whatsoever!

So, now, this box which was originally designed to be a NAS, is now three things in one! A NAS, a Media Server, and a Print Server! There are tons more things I can do with the box, including setting it up as a network scanner (my next project), and a network camera (something for the distant future). I could even be setup as a webserver, a mail server, and almost anything you can imagine a linux OS doing!

What a cool thing-a-ma-bop! And considering its a mear $60 at our local Wal-Mart, how can you beat that?
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Well, okay, then, get the NSLU2 on ebay for the same. I agree that walmart is a wart to local communities. Walmart is availible everywhere, though, hence the reason I used it in my original post.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9