+ Reply to Thread

[not so] Crazy idea/request for auto forward of phone

This may sound like a crazy idea to some, but it sounds logical to me. What I would like to do is have some way to "auto forward" my phone to another number when I am at ceratin locations. I figure the easy way to do this is using bluetooth.

Here is the idea. I walk into my home, and the phone detects a bluetooth signal from some device (like the hands free devices do when you turn them on). When it detects that device, it automatically dials "*72 [phone number]", and forwards all incomming calls to my vonage account. When it detects that the deviec is no longer available, it dials "*72 0", and cancels the forward. I could do this same thing in my car. When I get in the car, it automatically forward calls to my OnStar handsfree number, and when I exit the car it cancels the call forward.

Sound crazy, or does it sound like a valuable application for the phone?
    Last edited by RoyJS; 11-27-2005 at 05:12 PM.

It is a good idea. I don't know of anything available anymore, but I think Cingular used to have a base station where you plug in your phone and it would forward to your home phone.

Uniden has a BT phone that can share your cell minutes (Which is bass ackwards from what you want, but if you have a better cellphone long distance plan, it makes sense)
    http://dealnews.com/deals/Uniden-Cel...387.html?tmp=1

The only problem with forwarding, is you still get charged minutes with most major carriers.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I just have speed dials set up to call forward to different numbers. It's not very hard to do. I usually forget to turn OFF the call forwarding sometimes though The program Phonealarm call initiate a call forward depeding upon which cell tower you are connected to, that may be helpful for you. I've never used it but it sounds pretty interesting.
    Kevin R.

Phonealarm allows you to also set the forwarding switch based on profiles. These profiles can be changed manually or by preset commands. I use this feature daily and can attest that it works very well.
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Originally posted by kevroc
    I just have speed dials set up to call forward to different numbers. It's not very hard to do. I usually forget to turn OFF the call forwarding sometimes though The program Phonealarm call initiate a call forward depeding upon which cell tower you are connected to, that may be helpful for you. I've never used it but it sounds pretty interesting.
    The Location service doesn't work on the i730. I don't think it works on any CMDA phones. It does apparently work for GSM/GPRS phones.

[EDIT] I thought this thread was in the i730 forum and didn't realize it was moved. Regardless, I still don't think it works for CDMA phones ...
    i760 VZW

Originally posted by wallst

[EDIT] I thought this thread was in the i730 forum and didn't realize it was moved. Regardless, I still don't think it works for CDMA phones ...
    It was in the i730 forum at one time (as that is the phone I am using and was refereing too (windows mobile). However, I guess a mod figured it was not topical enough.

I'm going to look at the other software mentioned, but I don't think it is going to work as intended.

Roy