+ Reply to Thread
    MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?

Question To buy or not to buy?

ok, we all got laid-off yesterday. I have what I think is a good package to stay until April 15th and I'm in finance, so I don't anticipate having a problem getting another job.

I was planning on getting either the Samsung i730 or the UTS XV6700 from VZW based on when the XV6700 is released. (maybe Dec or Jan)

Should I continue with my plan or institute a freeze?

I have a serious "jones" for technology and have purposely "saved" up to get one of these phones, but I also have a wife and child with another due in March.

Provided I can score another job, this should be a huge windfall for the family finances.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Well, providing you do secure another higher paying job and you pass through the std 90 day evaluation period I would say it really depends on your needs. Its possible your new employer may offer a corp discount so you might want to wait unitl then.

Just the opinion of a tech junky
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

Stay with the i730 for a while. Better things are on the way, lot better than the 6700. Sorry to note the job situation, I am sure you will land one soon.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Sometimes you got to say "what the f" I'm going to call VZW tomorrow to order the i730.

"viva la Chachi!"

Mark

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    <--- He asks in his 998th post!!

So, did you order it?
    The only constant is change.

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Originally posted by JimCapraro
    <--- He asks in his 998th post!!

So, did you order it?
    I'm honored!

VZW won't let me if you can believe that! By won't let me, I mean they want me to pay FULL PRICE for the damn thing! I want some kind of break on it, so I have a bid in on one on Ebay.

We'll see what happens.

Mark

Originally posted by MEG
    I'm honored!

VZW won't let me if you can believe that! By won't let me, I mean they want me to pay FULL PRICE for the damn thing! I want some kind of break on it, so I have a bid in on one on Ebay.

We'll see what happens.

Mark
    Tell them that you are a friend of equus and that you are a part of the "escape plan investigative team" and if that fails to give you the desired results then tell them that you will take the new Treo 700W. By the way it will be released in the next three weeks time. It is a very stable device and I have been having a lot of fun with it. I think I like to have the "windows" in my "palm" if you know what I mean...........lol.........no comments accepted on this statement please.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    If you don't have a job, then I'd vote for staying on the sidelines through Christmas with a new device. I know that's what I'd do.
    Mike - Been Converged?

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I just bought an i730 off Ebay. Saved a little money and got a 1GB card thrown in.

It's going to be a Merry Christmas......

Is there really a noticeable difference between a Sandisk 1GB "regular" and "Ultra" card? I have both now but the "Ultra" is returnable if I want.

Mark

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Wow!

825 posts and I just got a pda phone! This forum is great!

Mark

Congrats -- looking forward to seeing your future posts back in the i730 forum

Originally posted by MEG
    Wow!

825 posts and I just got a pda phone! This forum is great!

Mark
    WAIT A MINUTE.................you mean to tell me that you JUST now got a PDA device? and all this time you were just hanging around? Geez, who let you in? this is very bad for my reputation as the Chief Security Manager.............although I came from a different field before, I was in charge of the Penguin Patrol and "connie" gave me the job as the man to be in charge of all emergency situations.............so, now I better make sure that you are a "real" pda owner and not a fake poster...........

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    You will notice a big difference between regular and ultra when copying files to and from the card... big speed difference. That's about it. For digital photography, it is a huge big deal because I copy many GB of files from the cards every day. My cameras have huge internal buffers than can hold like 24 images, so for actually taking the pictures it doesn't make a difference. But, that's on a $3800 camera body. On a less expensive camera with a small buffer, the speed of the card can dictate how fast it performs. I do also remember when PDAPhones had small internal memorys that there was a huge difference in performance (speed of the app) between loading it internally and loading it onto a card. The ultra cards should be a lot closer to the speed of internal memory if you need to load a lot of apps on the card. But with larger internal memories, I'm finding I only use the SD card for data most of the time.
    Mike - Been Converged?

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?

Drum roll please........

I have received my i730!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Activation went ok and I'm playing with things now. At some point tomorrow I will set it up based on Mrailing's FAQ entry regarding setting up a new phone from scratch.

So far, pretty cool.

Time to make my way over to the i730 forum.

Mark

congratulations