+ Reply to Thread

Anyone considering the 7130e?

I've been using the i730 since it came out. I like it but the battery life is a pain and as a phone its difficult to use at best. I have chargers everywhere. I also find that the only thing I use is the phone and email so I have been considering the 7130e blackberry. Anyone make the switch and have comments? Anyone else thinking about it? I would like something smaller and thinner but the 7130e seems about the same size as the i730. Maybe the Motorola Q is the right answer.... thoughts?

Eric

minus
    Supposedly Verizon Wireless will allow the 7130e to be used as a modem for your laptop also. Not sure if this is the direction VZW is heading.

Anxiously Awaiting Android jpurv's Avatar
    I think the real question here is why do you only use the phone and email? That's like having a Porshe GT2 that you only drive to the store and back. A couple weeks ago I was in an extremely long line for a movie just before it was supposed to start, so I jumped online, bought tickets, walked around everyone and right inside. I routinely google bottles of wine while shopping to find out if it's any good and how to pair it with food. I have episodes of "Extras" on my sd card that I watch while waiting at the car wash or to get my oil changed. Not to mention constantly browsing and posting to this forum. Maybe you should take another look at the possibilities of the i730 before dumping your Porsce for a Volkswagen.

According to the WM5 developers blog, the WM5 upgrade will double battery life due to the fact that you won't need the safety valve of having it go "dead" while you actually have 50% of your battery left. It will also include push email functionality similar to the blackberry.
    Free Katie Holmes!

Re: Anyone considering the 7130e?

Originally posted by ethune
    I've been using the i730 since it came out. I like it but the battery life is a pain and as a phone its difficult to use at best. I have chargers everywhere. I also find that the only thing I use is the phone and email so I have been considering the 7130e blackberry. Anyone make the switch and have comments? Anyone else thinking about it? I would like something smaller and thinner but the 7130e seems about the same size as the i730. Maybe the Motorola Q is the right answer.... thoughts?

Eric
    We got our first 7130e and can't comment on the battery life but I know that 7250 on 1x (without BT turned on) was much worse then T-mobile's 7230 so unless your in EVDO you might not get that great of battery life either. For email that is what they do best but the caveat is SureType that people love or hate since it does not have a full keyboard like the i730 and the rest of the BB line. Size wise it is a little longer, a little thinner, and the same width as the i730. Except that it does not have an external antenna which gives it the appearance that it is bigger then the 7130 at first glance. No one can comment of the Q yet since it is not out but it looks like a winner it has the full keyboard, size and a wheel!

Originally posted by minus_more
    Supposedly Verizon Wireless will allow the 7130e to be used as a modem for your laptop also. Not sure if this is the direction VZW is heading.
    Tethering is officially supported in the 7130 in fact it is in the manual on how to do it. Here is the kicker they want to charge you an extra $15 a month to do it though. They said that they did not want to cannibalize their aircard business. Seems like a bad move. I have not tried it yet to confirm that it works without the plan but I do not see why not since it can be done on the i730. Maybe they keep track to see if anything besides MDS and web traffic come across it to determine if you are tethered since the BB can't do anything else like a PPC can. Or they can block all the ports besides MDS and web like T-mobile did for a while. I will have to set it up and test.

Originally posted by jpurv
    A couple weeks ago I was in an extremely long line for a movie just before it was supposed to start, so I jumped online, bought tickets, walked around everyone and right inside. I routinely google bottles of wine while shopping to find out if it's any good and how to pair it with food.
    Never had a BB but after browsing the titles available for these devices on Handango, I'm not convinced that you can't do the above on one anymore. I'm certain you can google with the HTML browser but I'm doubting you can do secure transactions yet.

I've tried every email option out there for both Palms and PPCs and all have way too many flaws. I'm giving RIM devices serious consideration.

I think I'd miss the ability to stream videos and use listen to my audible books, however. Who knows? There may be developers working on those things right now.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

the 7130e does need the subscription unlike the i730. The traditional method of using BBs as a wireless modem does not work. They also bundle their VZAccess Manager with the 7130, which is the software they use for their EVDO aircards.

The other issue with BBs is that they do not have expandable memory to save ebooks and other media.