+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Tired of IE... trying Firefox

I have once again gotten IE where it won't let you save images as JPEGs, and the work around isn't working... going to give Firefox a try now.

Who's using it?
    Mike - Been Converged?

I LOVE Firefox!!!

I convinced my boss to switch, and now he won't go back to IE (or anything else for that matter).

It was discussed a while back in this thread:

FireFox aint bad.. at all...
    Last edited by nsanders; 12-08-2005 at 10:58 AM.
    Nicky

Well ain't the dumb user today! Telling the site admin to use search... and you were so nice about it to!

Thanks for keeping on the straight and narrow.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Well, the thread was from a year ago. I had just remembered 'Tronixx asking about it.

I am a big fan of Firefox, and your thread inspired me to download the 1.5 upgrade.

P.S. I also use the Thunderbird mail client by Mozilla.
    Nicky

Firefox is awsome. I have a few internal sites at work that require IE, but for everything else, I use Firefox.

don't forget to look through the list of extensions. Lots of neat features can be added that make it even better.

Alan

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Inspired by this thread, I downloaded Firefox and installed it. Things seem ok, but my links did not transfer, and the "look and feel" will take some geting used to, but I will give it a shot. I am posting this thru IE because I'm too lazy to type pdapho.... again!

Mark

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I use Firefox as my primary browser. IE only gets started on my computer for those sites that "require" it, even though most actually don't. Most happen to use a braindead JavaScript check for the browser you're running, and they bail on giving you anything unless you're running IE.

Firefox is great, especially with extensions installed like AdBlock.
    Michael

Well after about a day with it, I hit the "make it my default browser" button. The thing that held me back long ago was no Google Toolbar... but now there is one so no reason to delay. So far, so good.

It brought all my favorites, cookies, etc. over... very cool. Tabbed has advantages and disadvantages... I wish you could see in the tray the different windows that are open, but I guess you can't have everything.
    Mike - Been Converged?

They only thing we have found is that some site require IE or you cannot use it. Also, my wife is a bigtime "myspace" user, and she says that it doesn't work well with that. The spellcheck on the google search bar is also a lil wierd, but I think firefox is 100000000^infinity times better than IE. I have been using it now for about 2 months. Rarely, if ever, do I use IE.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    This is very cool. I've imported all my settings from IE and the tabbed browsing seems cool.

Looks like I may have found a new browser!

Mark

Firefox is head and shoulders the preferred browser. The most beneficial results of using Firefox are also the least obvious. The way in which browsers work and read html is incredibly complex and IE is extremely vulnerable in many ways to malicious attacks and also in the manner in which it readss spoofed URL's. Using IE it is possible to click on a link that appears to be one thing but actually takes you to a entirely different web address and this can, and is, used to spawn malicious threats, it can be used to download malicious content to your computer without you even knowing it.

R

I heartily prefer FF as well... I started recommending Firefox (and Mozilla before that) to my clients as the spyware war escalated, years ago... Its a great browser and v1.5 seems even faster at rendering pages than its predecessor. I too only use IE when I have to...

BTW now that we got Connie' switched over, I noticed some of my PDAPhonehome screens are different FF as compared to IE. Perhaps we can have some attention to those...
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    OK guys, maybe you can help me out here. I imported all my preferences from IE and modified the security settings in FF, but when I close FF, I lose everything.

Any ideas?

Mark

I don't know if you found an answer in the meantime, but so far every issue I have had with Firefox or Thunderbird has been answered already on the Mozillazine.org support forums. I've never seen Firefox do what you are describing.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by MEG
    OK guys, maybe you can help me out here. I imported all my preferences from IE and modified the security settings in FF, but when I close FF, I lose everything.

Any ideas?

Mark
    Did you manually import any of the settings? It sounds like the pointers to or in your prefs file aren't set correctly. Various situations could cause this.

I'd suggest that you uninstall completely and then reinstall using only the defaults (no directory changes). Let us know how it goes.