+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

All I want for Christmas!

At this time of year, I'm sure we all have something in mind for an end of year gift or purchase. I am looking for a new camera lens that is quite big, heavy, and expensive. Its is the premiere sports lens... Canon 400mm f2.8. I've been trying to find a used one, but they are like hens teeth (where did that come from, and what the heck does that mean?... I mean there aren't many around). Here is a picture of it...

WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All I want for Christmas!-biglens400.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

This picture gives you a better perspective on how big this 15 pound monster really is. By the way, that is not me in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All I want for Christmas!-biglens-400-2.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

What are you taking pictures of......Venus!?!?!

I want one of Gateway's new Tablet PCs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All I want for Christmas!-1_280turned.gif  
    Jeremiah 29:11

Originally posted by mwfielder
    What are you taking pictures of......Venus!?!?!
    Nope... just soccer, baseball, and football. This is a fixed focal length (not zoom) 400mm lens... meaning it is technically a 1X lens. The reason it is so big is so that it will work in lower lighting such as at night games and at dusk. It also allows you to nicely blur the background out. This particular picture was done with a 300mm f/2.8 lens... a little shorter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All I want for Christmas!-img_1272-web.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I'm trying to get one of these at a decent price.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All I want for Christmas!-i730.jpg  

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell!

I just picked up my new 'puter from UPS. And, an Ipod Shuffle from my parents.
    Nicky

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    This picture gives you a better perspective on how big this 15 pound monster really is. By the way, that is not me in the picture.

Wow, Dude! You are one sick camera geek! That puppy should have it's own zipcode!

Not nearly as impressive, I just bought a Panasonic Lumix ZF5. It's pretty sweet for us amateurs!

Mark

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

Here is a nice gift for the "inner geek" in you!

Mark

Well, I have this lens on the way! It will be here just after I return from my holiday trip. There are 3 version of this bad boy... a really old one, a new one that has image stabilization (which I don't need for action sports), and one that is just like the new one, but with out the IS. I found a used one at KEH today that is supposed to be in excellent shape. They said they haven't had one of these in used in a year, and I happened to snag it. I will be sure to post some pictures of it when it arrives.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Whoa... that is a seriously huge lens! Enjoy it Mikey
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Enjoy that lens, I want the Canon 70-200mm F2.6 IS lens. $1600. Still trying to decide whether to get it, or build myself a new PC. That is one heck of a nice lens.... I keep telling myself I don't take nearly enough pictures to get the lens, and I use my PC everyday. I also keep telling myself a AMD 64 3200+ is fast enough right now, but then I keep saying I want a new PC...

Man my money is burning a hole in my pocket... Maybe I should just invest it.

Why oh why did you have to show me those pictures, makes me want to get the lens even more...

Honestly, I want peace. Its time for the world to unite....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All I want for Christmas!-p-peace.gif  
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9