+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yahoo Warning!

Angry Yahoo Warning!

Be very careful if you have a Yahoo account and rely on it for your email. This has been the case for me for such a long time that I actually had one of those easy logins before all the normal, simple names, were taken. Anyway, all of a sudden and without warning, I could no longer access my account. This meant I could not get to my emails, which contained among other things a lot of correspondence on purchases I had recently made on-line for the holidays. After numerous emails, which just kept telling me to log out and log back in, I finally called them. My account had been terminated without recourse because I use a web browser that blocks some advertisements. I never received one warning and they're telling me I can open up another account if I want but that one is closed. Screw them, Gmail is much better anyway.

Thanks for the warning!

Were you trying to use your mobile phone to access their mobile site, or their regular site? I don't even think they have advertisements on their mobile site? You might want to look at their terms and conditions, because I have a feeling you could definitely have a case against them...

I happen to be a Yahoo! Mail Plus & Yahoo! Plus customer, which means I pay Yahoo! every year for some extra features. Lately, their service has been spotty and I've had numerous problems with their mail service and other Yahoo! service areas as well (Yahoo! Photos, etc.). Their customer service and technical support is ATROCIOUS, and after twice now cold calling their corporate officers (thanks to a lot of research), I'm still not getting the service I expect. If they did what they did to you to me, it would finally give me an excuse to seek legal action against them...
    Marc
    Falcon Computer Consulting
    http://www.marcbressman.com

And to think, I used to be a loyal Yahoo! user (and always tried to use and advocate Yahoo! over Google)....definitely not anymore!
    Marc

They were quick to email me their TOS, terms of service, which states that I've agreed they can do anything they want. Part of the TOS says something about how they provide advertising as part of the agreement. What pisses me off the most is that after many years of service they just cut me off, no explanation. I had to do all the work, including faxing my ID to them just to get any information at all. I agree with you, prior to this their service was getting very spotty anyway, I often didn't get the notification that I had emails and had to keep checking my Inbox.

I had some problems with Yahoo a month or so back. I had signed up to receive sms weather alerts. When I unsubbed, they still kept sending them.

Multiple e-mails to support were ignored. I finally searched the net for yahoo corporate email addresses (they're not yahoo.com), found about 300 of them, and spammed everyone on that list with my displeasure at their lack of support and response. Amazingly, the problem cleared up quite quickly after that.

when you say the yahoo corporate email addresses are not yahoo.com, you're referring to the yahoo-inc.com email addresses, right?
    Marc

yeah, that's it. I just didn't have it in front of me at the time, and i'm runnin' on about 90 minutes of sleep, so I was unwilling to trust my memory.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Guys, I hate to say it but it is rather foolish to use a free email account for anything serious. Anything free has strings attached. Also, anyone you are corresponding with is going to automatically be a little suspcious when they see a yahoo, msn, or google email address... because the identity is totally anonymous in that type of setting. If you have a Road Runner or Verizon ID, they know that you are a real person and there is a paid account that you have to get that ID. I would NEVER rely on a free email account for anything serious. I bet that all the free email accounts have TOS that would allow them to do this to you.... so jumping to Google is going from the frying pan to the fire. How much does a paid email account cost? Is it worth the risk of having valuable contacts and information lost to save that fee?
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Convergent
    Guys, I hate to say it but it is rather foolish to use a free email account for anything serious. Anything free has strings attached. Also, anyone you are corresponding with is going to automatically be a little suspcious when they see a yahoo, msn, or google email address... because the identity is totally anonymous in that type of setting. If you have a Road Runner or Verizon ID, they know that you are a real person and there is a paid account that you have to get that ID. I would NEVER rely on a free email account for anything serious. I bet that all the free email accounts have TOS that would allow them to do this to you.... so jumping to Google is going from the frying pan to the fire. How much does a paid email account cost? Is it worth the risk of having valuable contacts and information lost to save that fee?
    FYI...both Yahoo and MSN offer paid accounts with extra features, but still keep the same @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com (or alternatively, @msn.com). Also, I disagree that using a free email account to correspond breeds suspicion. And there are a lot of advantages to using a yahoo or msn account (free or paid) over a verizon or Road runner account, such as when switching internet providers you wouldn't lose your yahoo or msn account but would lose your verizon or road runner account, which could be a real problem for some people...

Let me rephrase what I said. It breeds suspicion for me, so I assume that other people would have the same suspicion. I do a lot of business over the net, buying and selling things. When I'm trying to establish if the person on the other side of the computer screen is legit, ONE of the things I look at is if they have a real email address at a real company; or with an ISP. If they don't, then that is one concern that is raised. If that is the only one, then probably I wouldn't worry. But, often there are others and this pushes me over the top to just say no.

I agree with the ISP email being a pain if you switch, and therefore I don't use that one either. I use email addresses currently on my own server that I control. The risk there of course is that your server goes tilt... but I keep nothing on the email server anyways. The one benefit of the ISP approach is that if you periodically switch ISPs, then it clears your SPAM for a while.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Would you believe it, after all this they sent me a "Customer Satisfaction" survey to see how happy I was with the way they resolved my situation. Needless to say, they didn't get a very good grade.

You got to love that. I had a situation with CompUSA one time (1 of many) where they sold me an "In Home" maintenance plan for my printer, then after my printer broke they refused to come to my home to fix it. They suggested I go to the store and the store wanted me to give them $75 to look at it... after I stood in line for a good 45 minutes with a 2 year old. A lot more details I'm leaving out, but I just gave up for the time being and lived without the printer. A week later someone from CompUSA called the house to do a verbal customer satisfaction survey! I let her have it, and ironically she sent me a new printer the next day with a return box for the bad one. I told her if she did that originally, I would have been happy.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I've had a Yahoo! e-mail account for many years and never had a problem. I've recently switched over to the paid e-mail service (I say recent, but it's been two years) - maybe that makes a difference. The paid service allows POP access, so even if they shut down my account, I still have all my e-mails up to that point.

Go read G-mail's TOS. I have an account, or at least had. If you think Yahoo's is bad, Google's is even worse and there's a lot of unhappy people. I know I don't want my personal information and e-mails searchable.

In reality any free e-mail service is going to have severe limitations. At the same time, I change ISP's every once in awhile, so I can't really use the ones an ISP offers. One way around that is to register your own domain name and have the registrar handle your e-mail accounts. Godaddy.com offers such services (hey, I think Yahoo! does too! LOL!).

Ya know, my gmail accts are my main emails. I don't like using anything else. Easy to search, easy to get to, and if I move, I have the same email address... Hard to give up the reliance I use for gmail.....
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

You got the Touch! You got the Powa
    First, Yahoo email does not work with PIE without using retarded WAP version, not this?

Bye bye, Yahoo.

Hello, Gmail.

-Ed

I have a yahoo account from long ago I barely even check anymore. I used it mainly for online shopping back in the day. Gmail, I used it once, for temporary storage as I moved computers, then deleted it all and haven't used it since. Googles world domination and TOS agreement made me wary.

I have a .mac account which I pay for and set up email address's I can turn on and off for temp use. The reason I moved was simple I have a 4smartphone.net account as my exchange server so I can get my email on my Treo700w. Also this allows me to sync my mail, contacts, calender etc on via Entourage.

In the end no one really reads the TOS agreements because they are too long and hard to follow at times. End result we lose track of who knows what and where we go.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.