+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Batteries... what do you use?

I just ordered $200 worth of AA batteries and chargers (I actually need them for business), and was curious what others use? I was getting tired of swapping batteries in and out all the time. I want to be able to load them up on my "recharge bench" and have everything charging at one time. All my camera, strobe, etc. batteries in one charge cycle overnight.

This is what I just ordered... 2 of these, and enough batteries to always have a set in both chargers ready to go.

The technology is very confusing and it seems even on the site I bought this from, every charger is listed as the "newest technology" and the best charger on the market. This one actually didn't say that, but the charge time and quantity is what I was going for.

What does everyone else use? Rechargables or Alkaline? Why? How do you recharge?

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Batteries... what do you use?-mh-c801d_bg.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I was using a Panasonic charger for AA and AAA batteries. I was only using them in my rinki-dink little difital camera, but the battery life was horrible. I went back to regular disposables to keep my sanity.

I don't trust them.

Mark

My digital cameras require special batteries which are expensive, but last forever. But I need these for my flash heads. Ironically they are only powering the electronics and not the actually flash which takes all the power. I use external powerpacks for that, and they also last a long time. But trying to charge all this junk is a hassle. I keep a pack of AA alkalines with me as a backup. The problem with disposables is you never know what's left in them. With disposables, you need to get the more expensive batteries ... for AA the ones that are 2500+ uH are the ones to get. There are a lot of cheapies out there. I think a good charger that can cycle them is also important. I've got a set right now that is giving me trouble.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I just received this charger and batteries today. If you use a lot of AA batteries, this thing is very cool. It will charge 8 batteries simultaneously in about an hour. That is way faster than my prior charger. It has a gauge for each of the 8 batteries to show how full it is. It also has a soft charge mode that takes 2 hours, and a conditioning cycle that lasts 14 hours. I haven't tried the batteries yet, but this is way better than my prior charges in features so far.
    Mike - Been Converged?

You know Connie, you are such a geek. Of course I was reading this thread and thinking, "that looks awesome!" I'm a geek too.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Well even non-geeks I think can benefit from this one. The cheap chargers you get at Walmart (the one I had before) take forever to recharge batteries. In my case, I'd throw four in there overnight and they wouldn't be done the next day. I needed the batteries, so I took them out anyways. So partial charging over and over would lead to poor performance of the batteries. I am very excited about this deal. For our photography business, if we have a big shoot then we need to charge the following in prep...

4 Canon 1D Mark 2 batteries
    8 Canon 20D batteries
    4 Quantum Turbo Compacts
    32 Rechargable AAs

This is the required charging regiment if we use 4 cameras. This gives us a backup set of batteries for each setup. The AA situation was our problem until now. With the 2 chargers I just bought, I can get everything done in a couple of hours.

With Christmas upon us, how many AA batteries will get consumed in the next couple of weeks. One of these chargers and a few sets of rechargables could make a big impact on that.... both in cost, and in environmental issues.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Now that is a lot of batteries! I definitely see the need, Mike!
    Jeremiah 29:11