+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lack of mrailing in the i730 for the next couple of weeks

I just thought I would let you all know I won't be spending near the time I have been in the i730 forum for the next few weeks. I have to go to Italy for a week for work (leaving tomorrow), then I am flying up to Germany for a week to spend time with friends and travel around Germany.

I MIGHT be checking in every now and then, but just to stay current and won't be doing too much moderating or answering questions. Of course this depends on my internet connection while in Italy and Germany, and if I don't have it, well I won't be here at all, and if the hotel I stay in in Italy has a good connection, I might be here more.

This doesn't mean that no moderators will be here, as other will be picking up my slack, as they have already been visiting on a regular basis.

Have fun everyone, and talk to you all from Europe.

aka Trouble

Have a great trip

Do you wish you had an i830 now

Mrailing,

As a casual observer from July '05 through December '05 and more recently as an occasional contributor, I'd like to thank you for your diligent monitoring of this forum. You've kept the topics on track and eliminated the superfluous and rumor-based discussions. Thanks for spending the time to make this a high quality and informative forum.

If you haven't been to Italy, I recommend studying your anticipated train routes before you go over there. The train system is backwards and isn't the least bit user friendly. As for Germany, the public transportation system blows away the system we have in the States. You won't have any problems there.

nah, I go on vacation to get away, no need for the i830. I also have an international phone, but I am too cheap to spend any money on it, or pay the ungodly rates to call back here. I use Skype, and IMs to communicate back, and mostly, I just don't care, my customers know I am away, and we have protocols in place if something goes bad, but I probably won't care since I will be on vacation.

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Have a great time Michael!
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Enjoy! We got your back.
    John

I, for one, will miss you Michael.

Ok, when he's gone, let's all start new threads that completely duplicate the FAQs in this forum!

I am still here...

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Michael,

Have a great time you deserve it!

Safe Travels,

Mark

Anxiously Awaiting Android jpurv's Avatar
    If you check this forum at all while you're on vacation in Europe, that's an indication that you might have a serious problem.

Drink some of that great Italian wine for me (or German bier, if you prefer)!
    Free Katie Holmes!

Have a great time in Germany! Can't wait to get back there this summer for the soccer world cup.

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Michael, where in Italy, are you going -- been there a few times myself (my father's family hails from Abruzzi, and my mom is Siciliano) If you get up to Tuscany, rent a car and go small town hopping - it's one of the most beautiful places there is.
    The only constant is change.

I am in Rome the entire time, staying at the Hotel Michelangelo, just a couple of blocks from the Vatacian. (of course until I go to Germany, where I will be traveling).

This is my last checkin, as I am walking out the door for a quick stop at a bookstore, then off to the airport.

Thanks for the good wishes, and talk to you all when I get back.

PS. I am sure I will be drinking my fair share (and then some) of wine and beer.

Well, since you seem to have "drinking" covered, here is an eating recommendation. If you make it to the Piazza Navona you might want to give Tre Scalini a try -- some of the best "gelato" you'll ever find.

Here is a travel reference I found on the web:
    Tre Scalini
    Piazza Navona 28
    Phone: (001) (86) 39-06-68-80-1996
    View the spectacle of Piazza Navona while enjoying a sumptuous Italian meal. I loved the Salmon Fettucine, and the tartufo was to die for.
    20-30 Euro per person.

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Is he gone yet?

.....good! Whens the camera version going to be released?

(just kidding)

Have a good time, Mike!

Mark

Originally posted by mrailing
    I am still here...
    **Looks around innocently and whistles aimlessly.**

buon giorno,

I made it here and thought I would just post a message from my phone using the hotel's WiFi. And I also wanted to say that VOIP works pretty well with WiFi on the i730... Now I am off to do some touristy stuff and yes I am going to visit Tre Scalini tomorrow. That was on my list already...

Ciao,

Michael

Great to hear from you, if you get a chance please post your dinner selection. (including your wine choice.)

In fact, a little journal of your travel experiences would help us all to visit Italy vicariously through your i730!!

Meg, now if it only had a camera, we could view a nice picture of Trevi fountain.

As requested I am reporting in with my recent travels. I got here this morning, and took a quick shower to wash off the plane funk, then headed out for a bit, only to return within about an hour. Jet lag settled in. It was 11 AM, and I deceided to lay down for just an hour, at which time I woke up 5 hours later. I got a call from the head of the conference I am working for, and he invited me to dinner at a little place called:

Ponte & Parione
    Via S. Maria Dell'Anima, 62
    Tel: 06 68 19 22 78

This was just around the corner from Bernin's fountain.

This was a little Ristorante - Pizzeria. There were 19 of us total, and we took up just about the entire place. We had PLENTY of house red and white wine, and Antipasta, breads, ands the like, then came the main courses. We had just about everything and shared it around so we could taste everything. Pizza (of course thin crust, very little toppings), lansagna, Veal, filet, chicken, pastas, etc. I am so full right now I feel like I am going to burst.

It's around 11 PM here, and I am off to bed shortly and am getting up tomorrow morning for a visit with the Pope. The group is going, and we have the "special" tickets. Which means we are in the section that will go through and kiss the Pope's ring and spend around 10 seconds with him. After that I have the day free and am planning on walking around the Vatican, hitting the musuem and the likes there and maybe heading to Tre Scalini for lunch.

As I take pictures I am planning on posting some on my website for my family and friends to see and will post the link here as well if you want to see photos. After tomorrow I have the morning on Thursday free for site seeing, then I have to work in the afternoon, then back out in the evening to take pictures at sunset and grab a long dinner at some other little Ristorante. Friday and Saturday, I am stuck in meetings all day working, then I have Sunday free to see more sites, which I plan on doing TONS of walking and seeing as much of the city as I missed.

Monday I jump on a flight to Germany for a true vacation with no work planned, and just visiting friends.

So Ciao, and talk to you all later.

Jet Lag sucks, can't sleep, so I am finding stuff to do in the meantime. Anyway, for those interested I just setup a PhotoBlog for my trip for friends and family, and if you REALLY want to see what's going on, you can visit it. Keep in mind it's geared more towards those closer to me and them knowing what's going on, since I am not calling anyone while I am here.

Anyway:

http://www.railingit.com/blog

Pictures will be posted when I take them, but that's a good place to go for updates.
    Last edited by mrailing; 01-10-2006 at 11:43 PM.